Product and Process Innovation and the decision to Export: Firm-level evidence for Belgium
AbstractUsing data from the Community Innovation Survey for Belgium in two consecutive periods, this paper explores the relationship between firm-level innovation activities and the propensity to start exporting. To measure innovation, we include indicators of both innovative effort (R&D activities) as well as innovative output (product and process innovation). Our results suggest that the combination of product and process innovation, rather than either of the two in isolation, increases a firm’s probability to enter the export market. After controlling for potential endogeneity of the innovation activities, only firms with a sufficiently high probability to start exporting engage in product and process innovation prior to their entry on the export market, pointing to the importance of self-selection into innovation.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES) in its series Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales) with number 2009032.
Date of creation: 14 Sep 2009
Date of revision:
Exports; Product innovation; Process innovation; Self-selection; Firm heterogeneity;
Other versions of this item:
- Van Beveren, Ilke & Vandenbussche, Hylke, 2009. "Product and process innovation and the decision to export: firm-level evidence for Belgium," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:123456789/385823, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Van Beveren, Ilke & Vandenbussche, Hylke, 2009. "Product and process innovation and the decision to export: firm-level evidence for Belgium," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:123456789/381603, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- VAN BEVEREN, Ilke & VANDENBUSSCHE, Hylke, 2009. "Product and process innovation and the decision to export : firm-level evidence for Belgium," CORE Discussion Papers 2009086, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Ilke Van Beveren & Hylke Vandenbussche, 2009. "Product and Process Innovation and the Decision to Export: Firm-level Evidence for Belgium," LICOS Discussion Papers 24709, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- D24 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Production; Cost; Capital; Capital, Total Factor, and Multifactor Productivity; Capacity
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
- L25 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Firm Performance
- O31 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Innovation and Invention: Processes and Incentives
- O33 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Technological Change: Choices and Consequences; Diffusion Processes
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-10-31 (All new papers)
- NEP-CSE-2009-10-31 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-ENT-2009-10-31 (Entrepreneurship)
- NEP-INO-2009-10-31 (Innovation)
- NEP-SBM-2009-10-31 (Small Business Management)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Klepper, Steven, 1996. "Entry, Exit, Growth, and Innovation over the Product Life Cycle," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(3), pages 562-83, June.
- Aïda Caldera Sanchez, 2009.
"Innovation and Exporting: Edvidence from Spanish Manufacturing Firms,"
Working Papers ECARES
2009_014, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Aida Caldera, 2010. "Innovation and exporting: evidence from Spanish manufacturing firms," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 146(4), pages 657-689, December.
- Sascha Becker & Peter Egger, 2013.
"Endogenous product versus process innovation and a firm’s propensity to export,"
Springer, vol. 44(1), pages 329-354, February.
- Sascha O. Becker & Peter Egger, 2007. "Endogenous Product versus Process Innovation and a Firm’s Propensity to Export," CESifo Working Paper Series 1906, CESifo Group Munich.
- Rachel Griffith & Elena Huergo & Jacques Mairesse & Bettina Peters, 2006.
"Innovation and Productivity Across Four European Countries,"
Oxford Review of Economic Policy,
Oxford University Press, vol. 22(4), pages 483-498, Winter.
- Rachel Griffith & Elena Huergo & Jacques Mairesse & Bettina Peters, 2006. "Innovation and Productivity across Four European Countries," NBER Working Papers 12722, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Joze P. Damijan & Crt Kostevc & Saso Polanec, 2008. "From innovation to exporting or vice versa? Causal link between innovation activity and exporting in Slovenian microdata," LICOS Discussion Papers 20408, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- Roberto Alvarez & Ricardo López, 2005. "Exporting and performance: evidence from Chilean plants," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 38(4), pages 1384-1400, November.
- Carrasco, Raquel, 2001. "Binary choice with binary endogenous regressors in panel data : estimating the effect of fertility on female labour force participation," Open Access publications from Universidad Carlos III de Madrid info:hdl:10016/4682, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid.
- Criscuolo, Chiara & Haskel, Jonathan E. & Slaughter, Matthew J., 2010.
"Global engagement and the innovation activities of firms,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 191-202, March.
- Chiara Criscuolo & Jonathan E. Haskel & Matthew J. Slaughter, 2005. "Global Engagement and the Innovation Activities of Firms," NBER Working Papers 11479, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jože P. Damijan & Črt Kostevc & Sašo Polanec, 2010. "From Innovation to Exporting or Vice Versa?," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 33(3), pages 374-398, 03.
- Dahai Fu & Yanrui Wu & Yihong Tang, 2011.
"Does Innovation Matter for Chinese High-Tech Exports? A Firm-Level Analysis,"
Economics Discussion / Working Papers
11-21, The University of Western Australia, Department of Economics.
- Fu, Dahai & Wu, Yanrui & Tang, Yihong, 2010. "Does innovation matter for Chinese hightech exports? a firm-level analysis," MPRA Paper 30012, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anne DAVISTER-LOGIST).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.