Entry into a network industry: consumers’ expectations and firms’ pricing policies
AbstractThis paper presents a model of entry into a network industry. The entrant tries to attract the customer base of the incumbent service provider. While the entrant is more efficient, the incumbent enjoys an advantage thanks to a bias in consumers’ expectations. Buyers enter the game with heterogenous beliefs as to which of the two firms is going to win competition. Then expectations converge - through higher order beliefs - and select one winner, who ends up being the single supplier. The path of expectations convergence crucially depends on the pricing policy followed by firms: so equilibrium beliefs are endogenous. Depending on parameter values, one of two outcomes obtains: (i) the incumbent is able to exclude the entrant, by lowering his price below the monopoly level; (ii) the entrant is successful, by undercutting the incumbent price. Productive efficiency and consumers’ welfare are hurt by exclusion; the entry threat is beneficial to consumers anyway. Imposing compatibility among networks is welfare improving, as it removes the exclusionary potential enjoyed by the incumbent.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Dipartimenti e Istituti di Scienze Economiche (DISCE) in its series DISCE - Quaderni dell'Istituto di Economia e Finanza with number ief69.
Date of creation: Nov 2006
Date of revision:
network industries; critical mass; entry; exclusion; higher order beliefs;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D42 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - Monopoly
- D84 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Expectations; Speculations
- L12 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Monopoly; Monopolization Strategies
- L41 - Industrial Organization - - Antitrust Issues and Policies - - - Monopolization; Horizontal Anticompetitive Practices
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Luca Colombo and Gerd Weinrich, 2001.
"The Phillips Curve as a Long-Run Phenomenon in a Macroeconomic Model with Complex Dynamics,"
Computing in Economics and Finance 2001
13, Society for Computational Economics.
- Colombo, Luca & Weinrich, Gerd, 2003. "The Phillips curve as a long-run phenomenon in a macroeconomic model with complex dynamics," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 1-26, October.
- Gerd Weinrich & Luca Colombo, 2001. "The Phillips Curve as a Long-Run Phenomenon in a Macroeconomic Model with Complex Dynamics," CeNDEF Workshop Papers, January 2001 1B.3, Universiteit van Amsterdam, Center for Nonlinear Dynamics in Economics and Finance.
- Angelo Baglioni & Rony Hamaui, 2003. "The Choice Among Interbank Settlement Systems: The European Experience," Economic Notes, Banca Monte dei Paschi di Siena SpA, vol. 32(1), pages 67-100, 02.
- Mastromatteo Giuseppe & Ventura Luigi, 2007. "Fundamentals, Beliefs, and the Origin of Money: A Search Theoretic Perspective," Economia politica, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 1, pages 113-140.
- Andrea Monticini & Giacomo Vaciago, 2005.
"Are Europe's Interest Rates led by FED Announcements?,"
- Monticini & Vaciago, 2004. "Are Europe Interest Rates led by FED's Announcements?," Macroeconomics 0407025, EconWPA.
- Gilberto Turati & Gian Paolo Barbetta, 2001. "L'analisi dell'efficienza tecnica nel settore della sanità. Un'applicazione al caso della Lombardia," ECONOMIA PUBBLICA, FrancoAngeli Editore, vol. 2001(2).
- Massimo Bordignon & Floriana Cerniglia & Federico Revelli, 2002. "In Search for Yardstick Competition: Property Tax Rates and Electoral Behavior in Italian Cities," CESifo Working Paper Series 644, CESifo Group Munich.
- repec:rie:review:v:7:y:2002:i:2:n:1 is not listed on IDEAS
- Massimo Bordignon & Luca Colombo & Umberto Galmarini, 2003. "Fiscal Federalism and Endogenous Lobbies' Formation," CESifo Working Paper Series 1017, CESifo Group Munich.
- Luca Colombo & Gilberto Turati, 2004. "La dimensione territoriale nei processi di concentrazione dell'industria bancaria italiana," STUDI ECONOMICI, FrancoAngeli Editore, vol. 2004(84).
- Andrea Terzi & Giovanni Verga, 2006. "Stock-bond correlation and the bond quality ratio: Removing the discount factor to generate a “deflated” stock index," DISCE - Quaderni dell'Istituto di Economia e Finanza ief0067, Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Dipartimenti e Istituti di Scienze Economiche (DISCE).
- Andrea Boitani & Carlo Cambini, 2004. "Le gare per i servizi di trasporto locale in Europa e in Italia: molto rumore per nulla?," ECONOMIA E POLITICA INDUSTRIALE, FrancoAngeli Editore, vol. 2004(122).
- Andrea Terzi, 2005. "International Financial Instability in a World of Currencies Hierarchy," DISCE - Quaderni dell'Istituto di Economia e Finanza ief0064, Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Dipartimenti e Istituti di Scienze Economiche (DISCE).
- Lorenzo Cappellari & Gilberto Turati, 2004. "Volunteer Labour Supply: the role of workers' motivations," Annals of Public and Cooperative Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 75(4), pages 619-643, December.
- Baglioni Angelo, 2008. "Entry into a Network Industry: Consumers' Expectations and Firms' Pricing Policies," The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy, De Gruyter, vol. 8(1), pages 1-13, July.
- Massimo Bordignon, 2000. "Problems of Soft Budget Constraints in Intergovernmental Relationships: The Case of Italy," Research Department Publications 3099, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Angelo Baglioni & Andrea Monticini, 2008. "The Intraday Price of Money: Evidence from the e-MID Interbank Market," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 40(7), pages 1533-1540, October.
- Boitani Andrea & Cambini Carlo, 2002. "Regolazione incentivante per i servizi di trasporto locale," Politica economica, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 2, pages 193-226.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Massimo Bordignon).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.