Nonlinear diachronic effects between stock returns and mutual fund flows: Additional empirical evidence from the Athens Stocks Exchange
AbstractThis short paper examines the nonlinear interaction between mutual fund flows and stock returns in Greece. We investigate the possibility of a nonlinear causality mechanism through which mutual funds flows may affect stock returns and vice versa. The statistical evidence derived from linear and nonlinear causality tests indicate that there is indeed a bidirectional nonlinear causality between mutual fund flows and stock returns. We also detect a unidirectional causality from the Dow Jones Index to the domestic stock price index and the domestic mutual fund flows.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Crete, Department of Economics in its series Working Papers with number 0826.
Length: 17 pages
Date of creation:
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in 5th Annual Conference of the Hellenic Finance and Accounting Association
Mutual fund flows; Stock returns; Linear and Nonlinear Granger Causality.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G14 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Information and Market Efficiency; Event Studies; Insider Trading
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David M. Cutler & James M. Poterba & Lawrence H. Summers, 1989.
"What Moves Stock Prices?,"
NBER Working Papers
2538, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Granger, C. W. J., 1988. "Some recent development in a concept of causality," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 39(1-2), pages 199-211.
- Ippolito, Richard A, 1992. "Consumer Reaction to Measures of Poor Quality: Evidence from the Mutual Fund Industry," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 35(1), pages 45-70, April.
- Alexakis, Panayotis & Petrakis, Panayotis, 1991. "Analysing stock market behaviour in a small capital market," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 471-483, June.
- Hirotugu Akaike, 1969. "Fitting autoregressive models for prediction," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer, vol. 21(1), pages 243-247, December.
- J. Bradford De Long & Andrei Shleifer & Lawrence H. Summers & Robert J. Waldmann, 1989.
"Positive Feedback Investment Strategies and Destabilizing Rational Speculation,"
NBER Working Papers
2880, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- De Long, J Bradford, et al, 1990. " Positive Feedback Investment Strategies and Destabilizing Rational Speculation," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 45(2), pages 379-95, June.
- Guglielmo Maria Caporale & Nikolaos Philippas & Nikitas Pittis, 2004. "Feedbacks between mutual fund flows and security returns: evidence from the Greek capital market," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(14), pages 981-989.
- Johansen, Soren, 1991. "Estimation and Hypothesis Testing of Cointegration Vectors in Gaussian Vector Autoregressive Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(6), pages 1551-80, November.
- Nikitas Niarchos & Christos Alexakis, 1998. "Stock market prices, 'causality' and efficiency: evidence from the Athens stock exchange," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(2), pages 167-174.
- Alexakis, Christos & Niarchos, Nikitas & Patra, Theopfano & Poshakwale, Sunil, 2005. "The dynamics between stock returns and mutual fund flows: empirical evidence from the Greek market," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 14(5), pages 559-569.
- Hsiao, Cheng, 1981. "Autoregressive modelling and money-income causality detection," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 85-106.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kostis Pigounakis).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.