Concentration horizontale et relations verticales
AbstractThis paper studies horizontal mergers in vertically related markets. In atwo-level Cournot model, with an intermediate and a final market, we show thatdownstream mergers inducing size effects are, ceteris paribus, more profitablethan upstream ones. Moreover, a merger at one level reduces the incentivesto merge at the other level. Endogenizing the firms’ decisions to merge byconsidering a merger game supports the previous results.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique in its series Working Papers with number 2005-31.
Date of creation: 2005
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andrea Bonaccorsi & Paola Giuri, 2000.
"The long term evolution of vertically-related industries,"
LEM Papers Series
2000/01, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy.
- Bonaccorsi, Andrea & Giuri, Paola, 2001. "The long-term evolution of vertically-related industries," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 19(7), pages 1053-1083, July.
- Lionel Janin & Benoît Menoni, 2005. "Le Contrôle des concentrations en France : Une analyse empirique des avis du Conseil de la Concurrence," Working Papers 2005-37, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Farrell, J. & Shapiro, C., 1988.
"Horizontal Mergers: An Equilibrium Analysis,"
17, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Discussion Paper.
- Farrell, Joseph & Shapiro, Carl, 1988. "Horizontal Mergers: An Equilibrium Analysis," Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt0tp305nx, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Joseph Farrell and Carl Shapiro., 1988. "Horizontal Mergers: An Equilibrium Analysis," Economics Working Papers 8880, University of California at Berkeley.
- Perry, Martin K & Porter, Robert H, 1985. "Oligopoly and the Incentive for Horizontal Merger," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 75(1), pages 219-27, March.
- Fumagalli, C. & Motta, M., 1999.
"Upstream Mergers, Downstream Mergers, and Secret Vertical Contracts,"
Economics Working Papers
eco99/38, European University Institute.
- Fumagalli, Chiara & Motta, Massimo, 2001. "Upstream mergers, downstream mergers, and secret vertical contracts," Research in Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(3), pages 275-289, September.
- Henrick Horn & Asher Wolinsky, 1988.
"Bilateral Monopolies and Incentives for Merger,"
RAND Journal of Economics,
The RAND Corporation, vol. 19(3), pages 408-419, Autumn.
- Morton I. Kamien & Israel Zang, 1988.
"The Limits of Monopolization Through Acquisition,"
802, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Gérard Gaudet & Ngo Van Long, 1993.
"Vertical Integration, Foreclosure and Profits in the Presence of Double Marginalisation,"
Cahiers de recherche du DÃ©partement des sciences Ã©conomiques, UQAM
9308, Université du Québec à Montréal, Département des sciences économiques.
- Géarard Gaudet & Ngo Long, 1996. "Vertical Integration, Foreclosure, and profits in the Presence of Double Marginalization," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 5(3), pages 409-432, 09.
- Gérard Gaudet & Ngo Van Long, 1995. "Vertical Integration, Foreclosure and Profits in the Presence of Double Marginalisation," CIRANO Working Papers 95s-40, CIRANO.
- McAfee, R Preston & Williams, Michael A, 1992. "Horizontal Mergers and Antitrust Policy," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(2), pages 181-87, June.
- Dobson, Paul W & Waterson, Michael, 1997. "Countervailing Power and Consumer Prices," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 107(441), pages 418-30, March.
- Salinger, Michael A, 1988. "Vertical Mergers and Market Foreclosure," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 103(2), pages 345-56, May.
- Salant, Stephen W & Switzer, Sheldon & Reynolds, Robert J, 1983. "Losses from Horizontal Merger: The Effects of an Exogenous Change in Industry Structure on Cournot-Nash Equilibrium," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 98(2), pages 185-99, May.
- Inderst, Roman & Wey, Christian, 2003.
" Bargaining, Mergers, and Technology Choice in Bilaterally Oligopolistic Industries,"
RAND Journal of Economics,
The RAND Corporation, vol. 34(1), pages 1-19, Spring.
- Inderst, Roman & Wey, Christian, 2001. "Bargaining, Mergers and Technology Choice in Bilaterally Oligopolistic Industries," CEPR Discussion Papers 2981, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Roman Inderst & Christian Wey, 2001. "Bargaining, Mergers, and Technology Choice in Bilaterally Oligopolistic Industries," CIG Working Papers FS IV 01-19, Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin (WZB), Research Unit: Competition and Innovation (CIG).
- Marie-Laure Allain & Saïd Souam, 2005.
"Concentration horizontale et relations verticales,"
2005-31, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Gaudet, Gerard & Salant, Stephen W., 1992. "Mergers of producers of perfect complements competing in price," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 359-364, July.
- Fauli-Oller, Ramon, 1997. "On merger profitability in a Cournot setting," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 54(1), pages 75-79, January.
- Steffen Ziss, 2005. "Horizontal mergers and successive oligopoly," Working Papers eg0041, Wilfrid Laurier University, Department of Economics, revised 2005.
- repec:hoo:wpaper:e-89-3 is not listed on IDEAS
- Ramón Faulí-Oller, 1997. "On merger profitability in a cournot setting," Working Papers. Serie AD 1997-03, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Marie-Laure Allain & Saïd Souam, 2007. "Concentration Horizontale et Relations Verticales," Working Papers hal-00143920, HAL.
- Éric Avenel & Clémence Christin, 2011. "Equilibrium strategic overbuying," Economics Working Paper Archive (University of Rennes 1 & University of Caen) 201205, Center for Research in Economics and Management (CREM), University of Rennes 1, University of Caen and CNRS.
- Marie-Laure Allain & Saïd Souam, 2007.
"Concentration Horizontale et Relations Verticales,"
CEPN Working Papers
- Canton, Joan & David, Maia & Sinclair-DesgagnÃ©, Bernard, 2012.
"Environmental Regulation and Horizontal Mergers in the Eco-industry,"
Strategic Behavior and the Environment,
now publishers, vol. 2(2), pages 107-132, July.
- Joan Canton & Maia David & Bernard Sinclair-Desgagné, 2008. "Environmental Regulation and Horizontal Mergers in the Eco-industry," Working Papers 2008.46, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Canton, Joan & David, Maia & Sinclair-Desgagne, Bernard, 2008. "Environmental regulation and horizontal mergers in the eco-industry," 2008 International Congress, August 26-29, 2008, Ghent, Belgium 44456, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Joan Canton & Maia David & Bernard Sinclair-Desgagné, 2007. "Environmental regulation and mergers within the eco-industry," Working Papers 2007/01, INRA, Economie Publique.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Florian Sallaberry).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.