Patterns of Restructuring: The U.S. Class 1 Railroads from 1984 to 2004
AbstractAfter deregulation in 1980, competitive pressures forced the large U.S. freight railroads to restructure. Much attention has focused on defensive (cost-cutting) restructuring: until 2004 employment was reduced by 60%, and railroads abandoned many of their lines. Less attention has been given to strategic restructuring: many firms changed the skill structure of employment and their output mix. We investigate the effects of defensive and strategic restructuring on financial performance between 1984 and 2004. In a simple regression, line abandonments (reduction of network size) have positive effects on performance but employment reductions do not. Controlling for the interaction between defensive and strategic restructuring, however, changes the picture significantly. Employment reductions then do have positive performance effects. There are also significant complementarities between defensive restructuring and strategic changes in skill and output mix. We provide the first in-depth analysis of the anatomy of restructuring in this important industry. Our analysis re-enforces the view that downsizing works best when accompanied by strategic restructuring.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers in its series CEPR Discussion Papers with number 6836.
Date of creation: May 2008
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- J23 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Labor Demand
- L25 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Firm Performance
- L92 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Transportation and Utilities - - - Railroads and Other Surface Transportation
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-05-31 (All new papers)
- NEP-IND-2008-05-31 (Industrial Organization)
- NEP-LAB-2008-05-31 (Labour Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Estrin, Saul & Rosevear, Adam, 1999. "Enterprise Performance and Corporate Governance in Ukraine," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 442-458, September.
- John Haltiwanger & Martin N Baily & Eric J Bartelsman, 1994.
"Downsizing and Productivity Growth: Myth or Reality?,"
94-4, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Baily, Martin Neil & Bartelsman, Eric J & Haltiwanger, John, 1996. " Downsizing and Productivity Growth: Myth or Reality?," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 8(4), pages 259-78, August.
- Martin Neil Baily & Eric J. Bartelsman & John Haltiwanger, 1994. "Downsizing and Productivity Growth: Myth or Reality?," NBER Working Papers 4741, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Martin N. Baily & Eric J. Bartelsman & John Haltiwanger, 1994. "Downsizing and productivity growth: myth or reality?," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 94-7, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Stephen Machin & A Ryan & John Van Reenen, 1996.
"Technology and Changes in Skill Structure: Evidence from an International Panel of Industries,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0297, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Stephen Machin & Annette Ryan & John Van Reenen, 1996. "Technology and changes in skill structure: Evidence from an international panel of industries," IFS Working Papers W96/06, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Machin, Steve & Van Reenen, John, 1996. "Technology and Changes in Skill Structure: Evidence from an International Panel of Industries," CEPR Discussion Papers 1434, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ivaldi, Marc & Mccullough, Gerard, 2010.
"Welfare Tradeoffs in U.S. Rail Mergers,"
IDEI Working Papers
344, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Wendy Carlin & Steven Fries & Mark Schaffer & Paul Seabright, 2001.
"Competition and Enterprise Performance in Transition Economies: Evidence from a Cross-country Survey,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
376, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Carlin, Wendy & Fries, Steven & Schaffer, Mark E & Seabright, Paul, 2001. "Competition and Enterprise Performance in Transition Economies: Evidence from a Cross-country Survey," CEPR Discussion Papers 2840, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Wendy Carlin & Steven Fries & Mark Schaffer & Paul Seabright, 2001. "Competition and enterprise performance in transition economies: evidence from a cross-country survey," Working Papers 63, European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, Office of the Chief Economist.
- Alan Collins & Richard I.D. Harris, 1999. "Downsizing and productivity: The case of UK motor vehicle manufacturing 1974-1994," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 20(5), pages 281-290.
- Rama, Martin & Newman, Constance, 2002. "Downsizing and productivity gains in the public and private sectors of Colombia," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2770, The World Bank.
- James D. Adams, 1997.
"The Structure of Firm R&D and the Factor Intensity of Production,"
NBER Working Papers
6099, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- James D Adams, 1997. "The Structure of Firm R&D and the Factor Intensity of Production," Working Papers 97-15, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Davis, David E & Wilson, Wesley W, 1999. "Deregulation, Mergers, and Employment in the Railroad Industry," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 15(1), pages 5-22, January.
- Doms, Mark & Dunne, Timothy & Troske, Kenneth R, 1997. "Workers, Wages, and Technology," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 112(1), pages 253-90, February.
- James Peoples, 1998. "Deregulation and the Labor Market," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 12(3), pages 111-130, Summer.
- Aguirregabiria, V & Alonso-Borrego, C, 1997. "Employment Occupational Structure, Technological Capital and Reorganization of Production," UWO Department of Economics Working Papers 9703, University of Western Ontario, Department of Economics.
- Ivaldi, Marc & Mccullough, Gerard, 1999.
"Density and Integration Effects on Class I U.S. Freight Railroads,"
IDEI Working Papers
93, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Ivaldi, M & McCullough, G J, 2001. "Density and Integration Effects on Class I U.S. Freight Railroads," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 19(2), pages 161-82, March.
- Ivaldi, M. & McCullough, G., 1999. "Density and Integration Effects on Class I U.S. Freight Railroads," Papers 99.526, Toulouse - GREMAQ.
- Eli Berman & John Bound & Zvi Griliches, 1994. "Changes in the Demand for Skilled Labor within U.S. Manufacturing Industries: Evidence from the Annual Survey of Manufacturing," NBER Working Papers 4255, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Laura Padilla Angulo, 2013. "Labour inputs substitution during corporate restructuring: a translog model approach for US freight railroads," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 45(18), pages 2547-2562, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.