Antitrust in Open Economies
AbstractWe examine antitrust rules in a two-county general equilibrium trade model, contrasting national and multilateral (cooperative) determination of competition policy, exploring the properties of the policy equilibrium. It is not imperfect competition, but variation in competitive stance between sectors that matters for trading partners. Beggar-thy-neighbor competition policies relate to countries' comparative advantages, and hurt the factor intensively used, or specific to, the imperfectly competitive sector. They also create a competitive advantage for export firms. FDI can be pro-competitive in this context, reducing the scope for beggar-thy-neighbor policies and reducing the gains from a multilateral competition agreement.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers in its series CEPR Discussion Papers with number 5480.
Date of creation: Feb 2006
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
Other versions of this item:
- Joseph Francois & Henrik Horn, 2006. "Antitrust in Open Economies," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp120, IIIS.
- Joseph Francois & Henrik Horn, 2006. "Antitrust in Open Economies," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 06-006/2, Tinbergen Institute.
- F12 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Models of Trade with Imperfect Competition and Scale Economies; Fragmentation
- F3 - International Economics - - International Finance
- L4 - Industrial Organization - - Antitrust Issues and Policies
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2006-02-19 (All new papers)
- NEP-COM-2006-02-19 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-IND-2006-02-19 (Industrial Organization)
- NEP-INT-2006-02-19 (International Trade)
- NEP-MIC-2006-02-19 (Microeconomics)
- NEP-REG-2006-02-19 (Regulation)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Eaton, Jonathan & Grossman, Gene M, 1986.
"Optimal Trade and Industrial Policy under Oligopoly,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 101(2), pages 383-406, May.
- Jonathan Eaton & Gene M. Grossman, 1986. "Optimal Trade and Industrial Policy Under Oligopoly," NBER Working Papers 1236, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Campa, Jose & Donnenfeld, Shabtai & Weber, Shlomo, 1998. "Market Structure and Foreign Direct Investment," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 6(3), pages 361-80, August.
- Joseph F. Francois & Henrik Horn, 1998. "Competition Policy in an Open Economy," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 98-092/2, Tinbergen Institute.
- J.Peter Neary, 2003.
"Globalisation and Market Structure,"
DNB Staff Reports (discontinued)
100, Netherlands Central Bank.
- Horn, Henrik & Levinsohn, James, 2001.
"Merger Policies and Trade Liberalisation,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 111(470), pages 244-76, April.
- Horn, H. & Levinsohn, J., 1998. "Merger Policies and Trade Liberalization," Working Papers 420, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- Horn, Henrik & Levinsohn, James A, 2000. "Merger Policies And Trade Liberalization," CEPR Discussion Papers 2459, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Henrik Horn & James Levinsohn, 1997. "Merger Policies and Trade Liberalization," NBER Working Papers 6077, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Keith Head & John Ries, 1997. "International Mergers and Welfare under Decentralized Competition Policy," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 30(4), pages 1104-23, November.
- Auquier, A A & Caves, R E, 1979. "Monopolistic Export Industries, Trade Taxes, and Optimal Competition Policy," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 89(355), pages 559-81, September.
- Mark Rysman, 2000. "Competition Policy as Strategic Trade," Papers 0100, Boston University - Industry Studies Programme.
- Leahy, Dermot & Neary, J Peter, 2010.
"Oligopoly and Trade,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
8172, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Peter Neary & Dermot Leahy, 2010. "Oligopoly and Trade," Economics Series Working Papers 517, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Dermot Leahy & J. Peter Neary, 2010. "Oligopoly And Trade," Economics, Finance and Accounting Department Working Paper Series n215-10.pdf, Department of Economics, Finance and Accounting, National University of Ireland - Maynooth.
- Francois, Joseph & Wooton, Ian, 2007.
"Market structure and market access,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
4151, The World Bank.
- Joseph Francois & Ian Wooton, 2008. "Market Structure and Market Access," CESifo Working Paper Series 2239, CESifo Group Munich.
- Joseph F. Francois & Ian Wooton, 2007. "Market structure and market access," Economics working papers 2007-06, Department of Economics, Johannes Kepler University Linz, Austria.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.