Market Structure and Foreign Direct Investment
AbstractDuring the last decade the extent of inward foreign direct investment (FDI) in the United States has increased dramatically. An important aspect of industries where most FDI takes place is their high level of concentration. This paper investigates how strategic interactions among domestic and foreign producers influence the structure of the industry. Especially, it focuses on the foreign firms' choice between exporting versus servicing these markets by investing in a plant located in the host country when facing competition from a domestic oligopoly. The empirical investigation reveals that the relationship between FDI and tariffs is not as simple as previously thought. In highly concentrated industries, where strategic behavior may play an important role, high tariffs rather than low tariffs may lead to less FDI and more imports. Copyright 1998 by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Review of International Economics.
Volume (Year): 6 (1998)
Issue (Month): 3 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0965-7576
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Aray, Henry & Gardeazabal, Javier, 2010.
"Going multinational under exchange rate uncertainty,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 29(6), pages 1171-1191, October.
- Aray, Henry & Gardeazabal, Javier, 2005. "Going Multinational under Exchange Rate Uncertainty," DFAEII Working Papers 2005-05, University of the Basque Country - Department of Foundations of Economic Analysis II.
- Henry Aray & Javier Gardeazabal, 2008. "Going Multinational under Exchange Rate Uncertainty," ThE Papers 08/19, Department of Economic Theory and Economic History of the University of Granada..
- Belderbos, Rene & Vandenbussche, Hylke & Veugelers, Reinhilde, 1999. "Undertakings and Antidumping Jumping FDI in Europe," CEPR Discussion Papers 2320, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Katja Zajc Kejžar, 2011. "Does Foreign Direct Investment Induce Domestic Mergers?," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 22(2), pages 271-291, April.
- Joseph Francois & Henrik Horn, 2006.
"Antitrust in Open Economies,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
06-006/2, Tinbergen Institute.
- Francois, Joseph & Horn, Henrik, 2006. "Antitrust in Open Economies," CEPR Discussion Papers 5480, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Joseph Francois & Henrik Horn, 2006. "Antitrust in Open Economies," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp120, IIIS.
- Belderbos, R. & Vandenbussche, H. & Veugelers, R., 2004.
"Antidumping duties, undertakings, and foreign direct investment in the EU,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 48(2), pages 429-453, April.
- Belderbos, René, 2004. "Antidumping duties, undertakings, and foreign direct investment in the EU," Open Access publications from UniversitÃ© catholique de Louvain info:hdl:2078/118538, Université catholique de Louvain.
- Belderbos, Rene & Vandenbussche, Hylke & Veugelers, Reinhilde, 2004. "Antidumping duties, undertakings, and foreign direct investment in the EU," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:123456789/101650, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Norbäck, Pehr-Johan & Persson, Lars, 2008.
"Cross-Border Mergers & Acquisitions Policy in Service Markets,"
Working Paper Series
743, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Pehr-Johan Norbäck & Lars Persson, 2008. "Cross-Border Mergers & Acquisitions Policy in Service Markets," Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade, Springer, vol. 8(3), pages 269-293, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.