A Portfolio Approach to a Cross-sectoral and Cross-National Investment Strategy in Transition Economies
AbstractThis paper takes a systematic look at the portfolio choice problem faced by investment banks or funds investing in transition economies. We relate the performance of projects in the transition economies to the broader macroeconomic and international environment, which affect the project through its input-output structure and its financial balance sheet. Among the macroeconomic determinants of enterprise behaviour we consider are productivity growth, real wage growth, movements in the international terms of trade, shocks to the relative price of traded and non-traded goods, domestic and foreign interest rates, currency depreciation and the rate of inflation. We evaluate the attractiveness of alternative investment strategies and provisioning rules from the perspective of portfolio theory.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers in its series CEPR Discussion Papers with number 1548.
Date of creation: Jan 1997
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ.
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
Other versions of this item:
- Willem H. Buiter & Ricardo Lago & Hélène Rey, 1997. "A portfolio approach to a cross-sectoral and cross-national investment strategy in transition economies," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 5(1), pages 63-96, 05.
- Willem H. Buiter & Ricardo Lago & Helene Rey, 1997. "A Portfolio Approach to a Cross-Sectoral and Cross-National Investment Strategy in Transition Economies," NBER Working Papers 5882, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- W.H. Buiter & R Lagos & H Rey, 1997. "A Portfolio Approach to a Cross-Sectoral and Cross-National Investment Strategy in Transition Economics," CEP Discussion Papers dp0320, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- D20 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - General
- E44 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Financial Markets and the Macroeconomy
- F21 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - International Investment; Long-Term Capital Movements
- F41 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Open Economy Macroeconomics
- G11 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Portfolio Choice; Investment Decisions
- G24 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Investment Banking; Venture Capital; Brokerage
- G32 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Financing Policy; Financial Risk and Risk Management; Capital and Ownership Structure; Value of Firms; Goodwill
- P27 - Economic Systems - - Socialist Systems and Transition Economies - - - Performance and Prospects
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Myers, Stewart C., 1977. "Determinants of corporate borrowing," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 147-175, November.
- William F. Sharpe, 1964. "Capital Asset Prices: A Theory Of Market Equilibrium Under Conditions Of Risk," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 19(3), pages 425-442, 09.
- Maurice Obstfeld, 1992.
"Risk-taking, global diversification, and growth,"
Discussion Paper / Institute for Empirical Macroeconomics
61, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Maurice Obstfeld., 1993. "Risk-Taking, Global Diversification, and Growth," Center for International and Development Economics Research (CIDER) Working Papers C93-016, University of California at Berkeley.
- Maurice Obstfeld, 1992. "Risk-Taking, Global Diversification, and Growth," NBER Working Papers 4093, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Obstfeld, Maurice, 1992. "Risk-Taking, Global Diversification, and Growth," CEPR Discussion Papers 688, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Hart, Oliver & Moore, John, 1995.
"Debt and Seniority: An Analysis of the Role of Hard Claims in Constraining Management,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 85(3), pages 567-85, June.
- Oliver Hart & John Moore, 1994. "Debt and Seniority: An Analysis of the Role of Hard Claims in Constraining Management," NBER Working Papers 4886, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- W.H. Buiter & R Lagos & H Rey, 1997.
"Enterprises in Transition: Macroeconomic Influences on Enterprise Decision-Making and Performance,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0340, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Buiter, Willem H & Lago, Ricardo & Rey, Hélène, 1997. "Enterprises in Transition: Macroeconomic Influences on Enterprise Decision-making and Performance," CEPR Discussion Papers 1601, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Willem H. Buiter & R. Lago & H. Rey, 1997. "Enterprises in transition: macroeconomic influences on enterprise decision-making and performance," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 20348, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- French-German Economic Forum, 1999. "Reduction of Working Time," Working Papers 1999-13, CEPII research center.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.