Spatial Aspects of Trade Liberalization in Colombia:A General Equilibrium Approach
AbstractThis paper offers some preliminary steps in the marriage of some of the theoretical foundations of the new economic geography with spatial computable general equilibrium models. Modeling the spatial economy of Colombia using the traditional assumptions of CGE models makes little sense when one territorial unit, Bogotá, accounts for over one fourth of GDP and where transportation costs are high and accessibility low, compared to European or North American standards. Hence, handling market imperfections becomes imperative as does the need to address internal spatial issues from the perspective of Colombia’s increasing involvement with external markets. The paper builds on the CEER Model, a spatial CGE model of the Colombian economy; non-constant returns and non-iceberg transportation costs are introduced and some simulation exercises are carried out. The results confirm the asymmetric impacts that trade liberalization has on a spatial economy in which one region, Bogotá, is able to more fully exploit scale economies vis-à-vis the rest of Colombia. The analysis also reveals the importance of different hypotheses on factor mobility and the role of price effects to better understand the consequences of trade opening in a developing economy.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA in its series BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA with number 004690.
Date of creation: 21 May 2008
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Other versions of this item:
- E.A. Haddad & J. Bonet & G.J.D. Hewings & F.S. Perobelli, 2009. "Spatial aspects of trade liberalization in Colombia: A general equilibrium approach," Papers in Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 88(4), pages 699-732, November.
- Eduardo A. Haddad & Jaime Bonet & Geoffrey. J.D.Hewings & Fernando S Perobelli, . "Spatial Aspects of Trade Liberalization in Colombia: A General Equilibrium Approach," Borradores de Economia 515, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Eff - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - - - -
- gai - - - - - -
- Cla - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - - - -
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-05-31 (All new papers)
- NEP-CMP-2008-05-31 (Computational Economics)
- NEP-DEV-2008-05-31 (Development)
- NEP-GEO-2008-05-31 (Economic Geography)
- NEP-INT-2008-05-31 (International Trade)
- NEP-LAM-2008-05-31 (Central & South America)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alberto F. Ades & Edward L. Glaeser, 1994.
"Trade and Circuses: Explaining Urban Giants,"
NBER Working Papers
4715, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Glaeser, E.L. & Ades, A.F., 1993. "Trade and Circuses: Explaining Urban Giants," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1646, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Bröcker, Johannes & Schneider, Martin, 1999.
"How does economic development in eastern Europe affect Austria's regions? A multiregional general equilibrium framework,"
1/99, Dresden University of Technology, Faculty of Transportation and Traffic Sciences "Friedrich List", Institute for Transport and Economics.
- Johannes Bröcker & Martin Schneider, 2002. "How Does Economic Development in Eastern Europe Affect Austria's Regions? A Multiregional General Equilibrium Framework," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(2), pages 257-285.
- Ana María Iregui, .
"Decentralised Provision of Quasi- Private Goods: The Case of Colombia,"
Borradores de Economia
203, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Iregui, Ana Maria, 2005. "Decentralised provision of quasi-private goods: The case of Colombia," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 22(4), pages 683-706, July.
- Ana María Iregui, 2002. "Decentralised Provision Of Quasi-Private Goods: The Case Of Colombia," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 002251, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Sánchez Fabio y Hernández Gustavo Adolfo, 2004. "Colombia: aumento de las exportaciones y sus efectos sobre el crecimiento, empleo y pobreza," REVISTA DESARROLLO Y SOCIEDAD, UNIVERSIDAD DE LOS ANDES-CEDE.
- Diego Puga, 1996. "Urbanisation Patterns: European vs Less Developed Countries," CEP Discussion Papers dp0305, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Maria Teresa Ramirezgiraldo & Ana Maria Ireguibohorquez & Maria Del Pilar Esguerra U, 2004. "Trade Between Colombiaand East Asia: An Analysis Using A Cgemodel," ENSAYOS SOBRE POLÍTICA ECONÓMICA, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA - ESPE.
- Jaime Bonet & Adolfo Meisel Roca, 2006. "El legado colonial como determinante del ingreso per cápita departamental en Colombia," DOCUMENTOS DE TRABAJO SOBRE ECONOMÃA REGIONAL 002520, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA - ECONOMÍA REGIONAL.
- Olga Alonso-Villar, 2000. "Large metropolises in the Third World: an explanation," Working Papers 0004, Universidade de Vigo, Departamento de Economía Aplicada.
- Attanasio, Orazio & Goldberg, Pinelopi & Pavcnik, Nina, 2003.
"Trade Reforms and Wage Inequality in Colombia,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4023, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Hanson, Gordon H., 1998.
"Regional adjustment to trade liberalization,"
Regional Science and Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 419-444, July.
- Dirección de Estudios Económicos & Dirección de Desarrollo Empresarial, 2003. "Efectos de un acuerdo bilateral de libre comercio con Estados Unidos," ARCHIVOS DE ECONOMÃA 002426, DEPARTAMENTO NACIONAL DE PLANEACIÓN.
- Miles Kenneth LIGHT & Thomas Fox RUTHERFORD, 2003. "Free Trade Area of the Americas. An impact Assessment for Colombia," ARCHIVOS DE ECONOMÃA 002744, DEPARTAMENTO NACIONAL DE PLANEACIÓN.
- Haddad, Eduardo A. & Hewings, Geoffrey J.D., 2005. "Market imperfections in a spatial economy: some experimental results," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 45(2-3), pages 476-496, May.
- Pinelopi K. Goldberg & Nina Pavcnik, 2004. "Trade, Inequality, and Poverty: What Do We Know? Evidence from Recent Trade Liberalization Episodes in Developing Countries," NBER Working Papers 10593, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Arguello, Ricardo, 2009. "The Regional Impact of Discriminatory Trade Liberalization on Colombian Agriculture," Journal of Regional Analysis and Policy, Mid-Continent Regional Science Association, vol. 39(2).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Norma Judith Paternina).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.