How Does Economic Development in Eastern Europe Affect Austria's Regions? A Multiregional General Equilibrium Framework
AbstractThe paper quantifies regional welfare effects arising from the increasing trade flows between Austria and its Eastern neighbors after the opening up of Eastern Europe. We calibrate a static multiregional Computable General Equilibrium (CGE) model with benchmark data from 1994 for Austria, subdivided into nine Federal Provinces. The regions are linked by trade flows with the four Eastern neighboring countries and with the rest of the world. We simulate the effects of the increase of trade interpenetration as observed between 1989 and 1999 in a comparative static analysis. Regional welfare effects under fixed and flexible wages are presented. We also compare national CGE results with estimates obtained in a simple partial equilibrium approach. Copyright 2002 Blackwell Publishers Inc.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Journal of Regional Science.
Volume (Year): 42 (2002)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0022-4146
Other versions of this item:
- Bröcker, Johannes & Schneider, Martin, 1999. "How does economic development in eastern Europe affect Austria's regions? A multiregional general equilibrium framework," Discussion Papers 1/99, Dresden University of Technology, Faculty of Transportation and Traffic Sciences "Friedrich List", Institute for Transport and Economics.
- C68 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Computable General Equilibrium Models
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
- F17 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade Forecasting and Simulation
- R13 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - General Equilibrium and Welfare Economic Analysis of Regional Economies
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Leon Podkaminer & Hermine Vidovic & et al., 1998. "Transition Countries: External Deficits Lower than Feared," WIFO Monatsberichte (monthly reports), WIFO, vol. 71(5), pages 319-338, May.
- Shoven,John B. & Whalley,John, 1992.
"Applying General Equilibrium,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521266550, October.
- Linda Hunter & James R. Markusen & Thomas F. Rutherford, 1991.
"Trade Liberalization in a Multinational-Dominated Industry: A Theoretical and Applied General-Equilibrium Analysis,"
NBER Working Papers
3679, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Linda Hunter & James R. Markusen & Thomas F. Rutherford, 1991. "Trade liberalization in a multinational-dominated industry: a theoretical and applied general equilibrium analysis," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas, pages 39-42.
- Haaland, Jan I. & Wooton, Ian, 1991.
"Market Integration, Competition and Welfare,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
574, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Robert Holzmann & Christian Thimann & Angela Petz, 1994. "Pressure to Adjust: Consequences for the OECD Countries from Reforms in Eastern Europe," International Trade 9403001, EconWPA.
- Richard E. Baldwin & Joseph F. Francois & Richard Portes, 1997. "The costs and benefits of eastern enlargement: the impact on the EU and central Europe," Economic Policy, CEPR & CES & MSH, vol. 12(24), pages 125-176, 04.
- Rich Jones & John Whalley, 1986.
"Regional Effects of Taxes in Canada: An Applied General Equilibrium Approach,"
NBER Working Papers
2107, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jones, Rich & Whalley, John, 1988. "Regional effects of taxes in Canada : An applied general equilibrium approach," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 1-28, October.
- Harrison, Glenn W & Rutherford, Thomas F & Wooton, Ian, 1991. "An Empirical Database for a General Equilibrium Model of the European Communities," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 16(1), pages 95-120.
- Fullerton, Don & Shoven, John B. & Whalley, John, 1983.
"Replacing the U.S. income tax with a progressive consumption tax : A sequenced general equilibrium approach,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 3-23, February.
- Don Fullerton & John B. Shoven & John Whalley, 1982. "Replacing the U.S. Income Tax with a Progressive Consumption Tax: A Sequenced General Equilibrium Approach," NBER Working Papers 0892, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Keller, Wouter J., 1976. "A nested CES-type utility function and its demand and price-index functions," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 175-186, February.
- Baldwin, Richard E. & Venables, Anthony J., 1995. "Regional economic integration," Handbook of International Economics, in: G. M. Grossman & K. Rogoff (ed.), Handbook of International Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 31, pages 1597-1644 Elsevier.
- Dawkins, Christina & Srinivasan, T.N. & Whalley, John, 2001. "Calibration," Handbook of Econometrics, in: J.J. Heckman & E.E. Leamer (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 5, chapter 58, pages 3653-3703 Elsevier.
- Gerhard Palme, 1988. "Räumliche Entwicklungsmuster der österreichischen Industrie," WIFO Monatsberichte (monthly reports), WIFO, vol. 61(8), pages 473-490, August.
- Ho, Mun S. & Jorgenson, Dale W., 1994. "Trade policy and U.S. economic growth," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 119-146, April.
- De Almeida, Eduardo Simoes & Guilhoto, Joaquim, 2013.
"O Custo De Transporte Como Barreira Ao Comércio Na Integração Econômica: O Caso Do Nordeste,"
44th Congress, July 23-27, 2006, Fortaleza, CearÃ¡, Brazil
146589, Sociedade Brasileira de Economia, Administracao e Sociologia Rural (SOBER).
- Almeida, Eduardo Simões de & Guilhoto, Joaquim José Martins, 2007.
"O custo de transporte como barreira ao comércio na integração econômica: o caso do nordeste
[The cost of transportation as a barrier to trade in economic integration: the case of northeast]," MPRA Paper 31513, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Almeida, Eduardo Simões de & Guilhoto, Joaquim José Martins, 2007. "O custo de transporte como barreira ao comércio na integração econômica: o caso do nordeste
- Haddad, Eduardo A. & Hewings, Geoffrey J.D., 2005. "Market imperfections in a spatial economy: some experimental results," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 45(2-3), pages 476-496, May.
- Martin Schneider, 1998. "A multiregional general equilibrium model of the Austrian economy: Effects of the catch-up process of the CEECs on the regional economy," ERSA conference papers ersa98p137, European Regional Science Association.
- Zhu, Xueqin & Van Ommeren, Jos & Rietveld, Piet, 2009. "Indirect benefits of infrastructure improvement in the case of an imperfect labor market," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 57-72, January.
- Eduardo A. Haddad & Jaime Bonet & Geoffrey. J.D.Hewings & Fernando S Perobelli, .
"Spatial Aspects of Trade Liberalization in Colombia: A General Equilibrium Approach,"
Borradores de Economia
515, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- E.A. Haddad & J. Bonet & G.J.D. Hewings & F.S. Perobelli, 2009. "Spatial aspects of trade liberalization in Colombia: A general equilibrium approach," Papers in Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 88(4), pages 699-732, November.
- Eduardo Haddad & Jaime Bonet Moron & Geoffrey Hewings & Fernando Perobelli, 2008. "Spatial Aspects of Trade Liberalization in Colombia:A General Equilibrium Approach," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 004690, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- World Bank, 2008. "Brazil : Evaluating the Macroeconomic and Distributional Impacts of Lowering Transportation Costs," World Bank Other Operational Studies 8083, The World Bank.
- Eduardo Simões de Almeida, 2004. "A Duplicação Da Rodovia Fernão Dias: Uma Análise De Equilíbrio Geral," Anais do XXXII Encontro Nacional de Economia [Proceedings of the 32th Brazilian Economics Meeting] 130, ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics].
- Eduardo Simões de Almeida & Eduardo Amaral Haddad & Geoffrey John Dennis Hewings, 2003. "The Transport-Regional Equity Issue Revisited," Anais do XXXI Encontro Nacional de Economia [Proceedings of the 31th Brazilian Economics Meeting] e33, ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics].
- Mayerhofer, Peter, 2002. "Austrian border regions and eastern integration: A low competitiveness - high growth paradoxon," HWWA Discussion Papers 202, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWA).
- Plassmann, Florenz, 2005. "The advantage of avoiding the Armington assumption in multi-region models," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(6), pages 777-794, November.
- Jaime Bonet & Eduardo A. Haddad & Geoffrey J.D. Hewings & Fernando S. Perobelli, 2008. "Efectos regionales de una mayor liberación comercial en Colombia: Una estimación con el Modelo CEER," DOCUMENTOS DE TRABAJO SOBRE ECONOMÃA REGIONAL 005004, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA - ECONOMÍA REGIONAL.
- Almeida, Eduardo Simões de & Guilhoto, Joaquim José Martins, 2010.
"Is the truth out there? Avaliando as opções de integração econômica para o Brasil
[Is the truth out there? Evaluating the economic integration options for Brazil]," MPRA Paper 54443, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Arne Melchior, 2009. "East-West Integration and the Economic Geography of Europe," CASE Network Studies and Analyses 0379, CASE-Center for Social and Economic Research.
- Jie Zhu & Ying Jin & Marcial Echenique, 2012. "Application of a new spatial computable general equilibrium model for assessing strategic transport and land use development options in London and surrounding regions," ERSA conference papers ersa12p931, European Regional Science Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.