How does economic development in eastern Europe affect Austria's regions? A multiregional general equilibrium framework
AbstractThis paper presents a framework for analysing the effects of economic development in Eastern Europe on Austria's regions. Therefore we concentrate on the effects of enhanced East-West trade, which results from the economic development in the transition countries. The analytical framework we use is a multiregional computable general equilibrium model for the Austrian economy. The model is based on an Arrow-Debreu-equilibrium. It contains the 9 Austrian Federal Provinces (NUTS-II) which are linked by trade flows with 4 of the Central and Eastern European countries and with the rest of the world. The simulation results of one trade scenario show how structural and welfare effects differ for the Austrian regions. --
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Dresden University of Technology, Faculty of Transportation and Traffic Sciences "Friedrich List", Institute for Transport and Economics in its series Discussion Papers with number 1/99.
Date of creation: 1999
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Mommsenstraße 13, 01062 Dresden
Web page: http://tu-dresden.de/die_tu_dresden/fakultaeten/vkw/iwv
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Johannes Bröcker & Martin Schneider, 2002. "How Does Economic Development in Eastern Europe Affect Austria's Regions? A Multiregional General Equilibrium Framework," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(2), pages 257-285.
- C68 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Computable General Equilibrium Models
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
- F17 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade Forecasting and Simulation
- R13 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - General Equilibrium and Welfare Economic Analysis of Regional Economies
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dawkins, Christina & Srinivasan, T.N. & Whalley, John, 2001. "Calibration," Handbook of Econometrics, in: J.J. Heckman & E.E. Leamer (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 5, chapter 58, pages 3653-3703 Elsevier.
- Haaland, J.I. & Wooton, I., 1991.
"Market Integration, Competition, and Welfare,"
499, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- Linda Hunter & James R. Markusen & Thomas F. Rutherford, 1991.
"Trade Liberalization in a Multinational-Dominated Industry: A Theoretical and Applied General-Equilibrium Analysis,"
NBER Working Papers
3679, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Linda Hunter & James R. Markusen & Thomas F. Rutherford, 1991. "Trade liberalization in a multinational-dominated industry: a theoretical and applied general equilibrium analysis," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas, pages 39-42.
- Fullerton, Don & Shoven, John B. & Whalley, John, 1983.
"Replacing the U.S. income tax with a progressive consumption tax : A sequenced general equilibrium approach,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 3-23, February.
- Don Fullerton & John B. Shoven & John Whalley, 1983. "Replacing the U.S. Income Tax with a Progressive Consumption Tax: A Sequenced General Equilibrium Approach," NBER Working Papers 0892, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Keller, Wouter J., 1976. "A nested CES-type utility function and its demand and price-index functions," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 175-186, February.
- Harrison, Glenn W & Rutherford, Thomas F & Wooton, Ian, 1991. "An Empirical Database for a General Equilibrium Model of the European Communities," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 16(1), pages 95-120.
- Jones, Rich & Whalley, John, 1988.
"Regional effects of taxes in Canada : An applied general equilibrium approach,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 1-28, October.
- Rich Jones & John Whalley, 1986. "Regional Effects of Taxes in Canada: An Applied General Equilibrium Approach," NBER Working Papers 2107, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Shoven,John B. & Whalley,John, 1992.
"Applying General Equilibrium,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521266550, November.
- Baldwin, Richard E. & Venables, Anthony J., 1995. "Regional economic integration," Handbook of International Economics, in: G. M. Grossman & K. Rogoff (ed.), Handbook of International Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 31, pages 1597-1644 Elsevier.
- Ho, Mun S. & Jorgenson, Dale W., 1994. "Trade policy and U.S. economic growth," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 119-146, April.
- Richard E. Baldwin & Joseph F. Francois & Richard Portes, 1997. "The costs and benefits of eastern enlargement: the impact on the EU and central Europe," Economic Policy, CEPR & CES & MSH, vol. 12(24), pages 125-176, 04.
- Robert Holzmann & Christian Thimann & Angela Petz, 1994. "Pressure to Adjust: Consequences for the OECD Countries from Reforms in Eastern Europe," International Trade 9403001, EconWPA.
- Gerhard Palme, 1988. "Räumliche Entwicklungsmuster der österreichischen Industrie," WIFO Monatsberichte (monthly reports), WIFO, vol. 61(8), pages 473-490, August.
- Leon Podkaminer & Hermine Vidovic & et al., 1998. "Transition Countries: External Deficits Lower than Feared," WIFO Monatsberichte (monthly reports), WIFO, vol. 71(5), pages 319-338, May.
- Haddad, Eduardo A. & Hewings, Geoffrey J.D., 2005. "Market imperfections in a spatial economy: some experimental results," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 45(2-3), pages 476-496, May.
- Eduardo Simões de Almeida & Eduardo Amaral Haddad & Geoffrey John Dennis Hewings, 2003. "The Transport-Regional Equity Issue Revisited," Anais do XXXI Encontro Nacional de Economia [Proceedings of the 31th Brazilian Economics Meeting] e33, ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics].
- Arne Melchior, 2009. "East-West Integration and the Economic Geography of Europe," CASE Network Studies and Analyses 0379, CASE-Center for Social and Economic Research.
- Martin Schneider, 1998. "A multiregional general equilibrium model of the Austrian economy: Effects of the catch-up process of the CEECs on the regional economy," ERSA conference papers ersa98p137, European Regional Science Association.
- Eduardo Haddad & Jaime Bonet Moron & Geoffrey Hewings & Fernando Perobelli, 2008.
"Spatial Aspects of Trade Liberalization in Colombia:A General Equilibrium Approach,"
BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA
004690, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- E.A. Haddad & J. Bonet & G.J.D. Hewings & F.S. Perobelli, 2009. "Spatial aspects of trade liberalization in Colombia: A general equilibrium approach," Papers in Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 88(4), pages 699-732, November.
- Eduardo A. Haddad & Jaime Bonet & Geoffrey. J.D.Hewings & Fernando S Perobelli, . "Spatial Aspects of Trade Liberalization in Colombia: A General Equilibrium Approach," Borradores de Economia 515, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Mayerhofer, Peter, 2002. "Austrian border regions and eastern integration: A low competitiveness - high growth paradoxon," HWWA Discussion Papers 202, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWA).
- De Almeida, Eduardo Simoes & Guilhoto, Joaquim, 2013.
"O Custo De Transporte Como Barreira Ao Comércio Na Integração Econômica: O Caso Do Nordeste,"
44th Congress, July 23-27, 2006, Fortaleza, CearÃ¡, Brazil
146589, Sociedade Brasileira de Economia, Administracao e Sociologia Rural (SOBER).
- Almeida, Eduardo Simões de & Guilhoto, Joaquim José Martins, 2007.
"O custo de transporte como barreira ao comércio na integração econômica: o caso do nordeste
[The cost of transportation as a barrier to trade in economic integration: the case of northeast]," MPRA Paper 31513, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Almeida, Eduardo Simões de & Guilhoto, Joaquim José Martins, 2007. "O custo de transporte como barreira ao comércio na integração econômica: o caso do nordeste
- World Bank, 2008. "Brazil : Evaluating the Macroeconomic and Distributional Impacts of Lowering Transportation Costs," World Bank Other Operational Studies 8083, The World Bank.
- Jaime Bonet & Eduardo A. Haddad & Geoffrey J.D. Hewings & Fernando S. Perobelli, 2008. "Efectos regionales de una mayor liberación comercial en Colombia: Una estimación con el Modelo CEER," DOCUMENTOS DE TRABAJO SOBRE ECONOMÃA REGIONAL 005004, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA - ECONOMÍA REGIONAL.
- Plassmann, Florenz, 2005. "The advantage of avoiding the Armington assumption in multi-region models," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(6), pages 777-794, November.
- Zhu, Xueqin & Van Ommeren, Jos & Rietveld, Piet, 2009. "Indirect benefits of infrastructure improvement in the case of an imperfect labor market," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 57-72, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.