Inferring Agent Behavior and Economic Information, with Free Entry and Exit of Firms
AbstractThis article proposes an identity regarding economic outcomes when producers maximize profits, with free entry and exit of firms. The identity links consumer and producer theory and leads to several results that contribute to understand what should -and should not- be expected under the assumptions made, from the behavior of firms and households, and from the technology of a firm. Given that unit prices are usually known, the identity also allows to infer the value of a range of economic variables, when reasonable information is available on the price elasticity of the residual demand, the marginal revenue associated to the residual demand, the marginal cost or the elasticity of scale.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by UNIVERSIDAD DE LOS ANDES-CEDE in its series DOCUMENTOS CEDE with number 008909.
Date of creation: 31 May 2011
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Price elasticity of demand; elasticity of scale; free entry and exit of firms; homogeneous production function.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D20 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - General
- D21 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Firm Behavior: Theory
- D24 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Production; Cost; Capital; Capital, Total Factor, and Multifactor Productivity; Capacity
- D40 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-09-05 (All new papers)
- NEP-COM-2011-09-05 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-IND-2011-09-05 (Industrial Organization)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hanoch, Giora, 1975. "The Elasticity of Scale and the Shape of Average Costs," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 65(3), pages 492-97, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Universidad De Los Andes-Cede).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.