Size Economies in Australian Agriculture
AbstractTheoretical, conceptual and estimational issues relevant to economies of size studies are discussed in this paper. Some of the issues discussed are the effects of technological change on the position and shape of the average cost curve over time, the relationship between farm size and relative economic efficiency and frontier versus average estimation techniques. There is also a brief review of various measurement and specification problems. In addition, empirical estimates of the extent of size economies were derived from a flexible translog production function using ASIS data for the New South Wales Wheat/Sheep Zone for the years 1966-67, 1975-76 and 1976-77. Estimation of the production function revealed that, when the relatively fixed inputs of operator and family labour were excluded, the sample exhibited constant returns to scale. On the other hand, when operator and family labour were included, the cost curve exhibited the familiar L shape found in earlier agricultural studies.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society in its journal Review of Marketing and Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 50 (1982)
Issue (Month): 01 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: AARES Central Office Manager, Crawford School of Public Policy, ANU, Canberra ACT 0200
Phone: 0409 032 338
Web page: http://www.aares.info/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hanoch, Giora, 1975. "The Elasticity of Scale and the Shape of Average Costs," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 65(3), pages 492-97, June.
- Anderson, Jock R. & Powell, Roy A., 1973.
"Economics Of Size In Australian Farming,"
Australian Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 17(01), April.
- Jock R. Anderson & Roy A. Powell, 1973. "Economics Of Size In Australian Farming," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 17(1), pages 1-16, 04.
- Christensen, Laurits R & Jorgenson, Dale W & Lau, Lawrence J, 1973. "Transcendental Logarithmic Production Frontiers," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 55(1), pages 28-45, February.
- Christensen, Laurits R & Greene, William H, 1976. "Economies of Scale in U.S. Electric Power Generation," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 84(4), pages 655-76, August.
- Lawrence, Denis & McKay, Lloyd, 1980. "Inputs, Outputs And Productivity Change In The Australian Sheep Industry," Australian Journal of Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 24(01), April.
- Robinson, Chris & McMahon, Pat J., 1981. "Off-Farm Investment and Employment in the Australian Grazing Industry: A Preliminary Analysis," Review of Marketing and Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 49(01), April.
- Olson, Jerome A. & Schmidt, Peter & Waldman, Donald M., 1980. "A Monte Carlo study of estimators of stochastic frontier production functions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 67-82, May.
- Quiggin, John C. & Bui-Lan, Anh, 1984.
"The Use Of Cross-Sectional Estimates Of Profit Functions For Tests Of Relative Efficiency: A Critical Review,"
Australian Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 28(01), April.
- John C. Quiggin & Anh Bui‐Lan, 1984. "The Use Of Cross‐Sectional Estimates Of Profit Functions For Tests Of Relative Efficiency: A Critical Review," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 28(1), pages 44-55, 04.
- Hodge, Ian D., 1983. "Rural Employment and the Quality of Life," Review of Marketing and Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 51(03), December.
- Quiggin, John, 1995. "Common property in agricultural production," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 179-200, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.