Planning Marketing Channels: Case of the Olive Oil Agribusiness in Portugal
AbstractTMarketing channels play an important role in the competitiveness of agribusiness value chains. Thus, this paper proposes a model for planning marketing channels in agribusiness that also considers transaction costs. This model is developed in two steps, diagnostic and decision, and is applied to the olive oil agribusiness in Portugal. The diagnostic step includes analysis of the agribusiness chain value, marketing channels, transaction characteristics and institutional environment. The decision step fits the information from the diagnostic into a qualitative cost/benefit analysis, based on a multi-criteria problem of ordering preferences.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Evora, CEFAGE-UE (Portugal) in its series CEFAGE-UE Working Papers with number 2013_07.
Length: 26 pages
Date of creation: 2013
Date of revision:
Marketing channels; Agribusiness; Transaction Costs; Cost/Benefit; Multi-Criteria.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Q13 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agricultural Markets and Marketing; Cooperatives; Agribusiness
- M31 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Marketing and Advertising - - - Marketing
- M11 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Business Administration - - - Production Management
- M21 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Business Economics - - - Business Economics
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-06-24 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Almeida-Dias, J. & Figueira, J.R. & Roy, B., 2010. "Electre Tri-C: A multiple criteria sorting method based on characteristic reference actions," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 204(3), pages 565-580, August.
- Peterson, H. Christopher & Wysocki, Allen F. & Harsh, Stephen B., 2001.
"Strategic Choice Along The Vertical Coordination Continuum,"
International Food and Agribusiness Management Review,
International Food and Agribusiness Management Association (IAMA), vol. 4(02).
- Peterson, H. Christopher & Wysocki, Allen F., 1998. "Strategic Choice Along The Vertical Coordination Continuum," Staff Papers 11651, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Sartorius, Kurt & Kirsten, Johann, 2007. "A framework to facilitate institutional arrangements for smallholder supply in developing countries: An agribusiness perspective," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(5-6), pages 640-655.
- Roy, Bernard, 1993. "Decision science or decision-aid science?," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 66(2), pages 184-203, April.
- Hobbs, Jill E. & Young, Linda M., 1999.
"Increasing Vertical Linkages In Agrifood Supply Chains: A Conceptual Model And Some Preliminary Evidence,"
Trade Research Center Policy Issues Papers
29166, Montana State University, Department of Agricultural Economics and Economics.
- Jill E. Hobbs & Linda M. Young, 1999. "Increasing Vertical Linkages in Agrifood Supply Chains: A Conceptual Model and Some Preliminary Evidence," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 47(4), pages 478-478, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Angela Pacheco).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.