Market structures, strategy and innovation in services A study applied to the tourism sector
AbstractThe objectives of this paper are twofold – first we discuss innovation in the service sector, especially in tourism. Secondly, we apply the diagnostic test of the integrated model of innovation (Sarkar 2005, 2007) to present the results of an empirical study applied to tourism in a small open economy. The study applies multivariate analysis using a data set consisting of survey responses from 158 Portuguese firms. The study uses an archetype and the market outcome resulting from the innovation strategies pursued to compare similarities and differences according to the geographical localizations of the firms in order to identify innovative patterns in tourism firms. The study identifies the linkage between service, market structures and innovation strategies considering geographical agglomeration of firms in a small economy. The identification of different innovation trajectories and positions in the model could justify different public politics to incentivise and promote innovation in tourism firms.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Evora, CEFAGE-UE (Portugal) in its series CEFAGE-UE Working Papers with number 2011_27.
Length: 24 pages
Date of creation: 2011
Date of revision:
Market structures; Strategy; Innovation.;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-02-20 (All new papers)
- NEP-CSE-2012-02-20 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-INO-2012-02-20 (Innovation)
- NEP-TID-2012-02-20 (Technology & Industrial Dynamics)
- NEP-TUR-2012-02-20 (Tourism Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cesaltina Pacheco Pires & Soumodip Sarkar & Luísa Carvalho, 2008. "Innovation in services -- how different from manufacturing?," The Service Industries Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 28(10), pages 1339-1356, December.
- Johan Hauknes, . "Services in Innovation – Innovation in Services," STEP Report series 199813, The STEP Group, Studies in technology, innovation and economic policy.
- Gallouj, Faiz & Weinstein, Olivier, 1997. "Innovation in services," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 26(4-5), pages 537-556, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Angela Pacheco).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.