Market structures, strategy and innovation in services A study applied to the tourism sector
AbstractThe objectives of this paper are twofold – first we discuss innovation in the service sector, especially in tourism. Secondly, we apply the diagnostic test of the integrated model of innovation (Sarkar 2005, 2007) to present the results of an empirical study applied to tourism in a small open economy. The study applies multivariate analysis using a data set consisting of survey responses from 158 Portuguese firms. The study uses an archetype and the market outcome resulting from the innovation strategies pursued to compare similarities and differences according to the geographical localizations of the firms in order to identify innovative patterns in tourism firms. The study identifies the linkage between service, market structures and innovation strategies considering geographical agglomeration of firms in a small economy. The identification of different innovation trajectories and positions in the model could justify different public politics to incentivise and promote innovation in tourism firms.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Evora, CEFAGE-UE (Portugal) in its series CEFAGE-UE Working Papers with number 2011_27.
Length: 24 pages
Date of creation: 2011
Date of revision:
Market structures; Strategy; Innovation.;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-02-20 (All new papers)
- NEP-CSE-2012-02-20 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-INO-2012-02-20 (Innovation)
- NEP-TID-2012-02-20 (Technology & Industrial Dynamics)
- NEP-TUR-2012-02-20 (Tourism Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gallouj, Faiz & Weinstein, Olivier, 1997. "Innovation in services," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 26(4-5), pages 537-556, December.
- Cesaltina Pacheco Pires & Soumodip Sarkar & Luísa Carvalho, 2008. "Innovation in services -- how different from manufacturing?," The Service Industries Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 28(10), pages 1339-1356, December.
- Johan Hauknes, . "Services in Innovation – Innovation in Services," STEP Report series 199813, The STEP Group, Studies in technology, innovation and economic policy.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Angela Pacheco).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.