Innovation in services -- how different from manufacturing?
AbstractUsing standardised firm data a comparative analysis of the determinants of product and process innovation in manufacturing and services is performed. Results show that in services there are significant differences in innovation behaviour, in terms of intramural and extramural R&D. It is also found that size matters less in services than in manufacturing. Although youth has a positive effect in both cases, young service firms are more likely than young manufacturing of being pioneer innovators. The results reveal the importance of learning by doing in service process innovations, as young service firms are less likely to introduce process innovations.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal The Service Industries Journal.
Volume (Year): 28 (2008)
Issue (Month): 10 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/FSIJ20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- M. Audenaert & A. Vanderstraeten & D. Buyens, 2013. "Unleashing Employeesâ€™ Power to Innovate: Cross-level Effects of Employment Relationships and Job Complexity," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration 13/836, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Luisa Carvalho, 2011. "Market structures, strategy and innovation in services A study applied to the tourism sector," CEFAGE-UE Working Papers 2011_27, University of Evora, CEFAGE-UE (Portugal).
- Yu-I Lee & Ching-Hsun Chang & Yu-Shan Chen, 2013. "The influence of novelty, flexibility, and synergy of package tours on tourist satisfaction: an analysis of structural equation modeling (SEM)," Quality & Quantity: International Journal of Methodology, Springer, Springer, vol. 47(4), pages 1869-1882, June.
- Hervas-Oliver, Jose-Luis & Sempere-Ripoll, Francisca & Boronat-Moll, Carles, 2012. "Process innovation objectives and management complementarities: patterns, drivers, co-adoption and performance effects," MERIT Working Papers 051, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Barge-Gil, AndrÃ©s, 2011.
"Open strategies and innovation performance,"
31298, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Andrï¿½s Barge-Gil, 2013. "Open Strategies and Innovation Performance," Industry and Innovation, Taylor & Francis Journals, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 20(7), pages 585-610, October.
- Fernandes, Cristina & Ferreira, JoÃ£o & Marques, Carla, 2011. "KIBS Innovation Management Capability in Rural Portuguese Regions: Empirical Evidence," MPRA Paper 47005, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- AndrÃ©s Zahler & Leonardo Iacovone & Aaditya Mattoo, 2014.
"Trade and Innovation in Services: Evidence from a Developing Economy,"
The World Economy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 37(7), pages 953-979, 07.
- Iacovone, Leonardo & Mattoo, Aaditya & Zahler, Andres, 2013. "Trade and innovation in services : evidence from a developing economy," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6520, The World Bank.
- Fernandes, Cristina & Ferreira, JoÃ£o, 2011. "Knowledge Spillovers and Knowledge Intensive Business Services: An Empirical Study," MPRA Paper 34751, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Lilian Santos & Aurora A.C. Teixeira, 2013. "Determinants of innovation performance of Portuguese companies: an econometric analysis by type of innovation and sector with a particular focus on Services," FEP Working Papers 494, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.