Mechanical and Psychological Effects of Electoral Reform
AbstractDuverger (1954) noted that changes in electoral systems will have two types of effects: mechanical effects, and reactions of political agents in anticipation of these, which he referred to as psychological effects. It is complicated to empirically separate the two effects since these occur simultaneously. In this paper we use a large set of counterfactual election outcomes to address this issue. Our application is based on a nationwide municipal electoral reform in Norway, which changed the seat allocation method from d’Hondt to modified Sainte-Lagüe. Even though this electoral reform is of a relatively small magnitude, we document substantial psychological effects.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by CESifo Group Munich in its series CESifo Working Paper Series with number 3505.
Date of creation: 2011
Date of revision:
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C10 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - General
- H70 - Public Economics - - State and Local Government; Intergovernmental Relations - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Yasutora Watanabe & Kei Kawai, 2009.
"Inferring Strategic Voting,"
2009 Meeting Papers, Society for Economic Dynamics
803, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Kei Kawai & Yasutora Watanabe, 2013. "Inferring Strategic Voting," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, American Economic Association, vol. 103(2), pages 624-62, April.
- Jørgen Juel Andersen & Jon H. Fiva & Gisle James Natvik, 2010.
"Voting when the Stakes are High,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
3167, CESifo Group Munich.
- Gisle James Natvik & Jørgen Juel Andersen & Jon H. Fiva, 2010. "Voting when the stakes are high," Working Paper, Norges Bank 2010/15, Norges Bank.
- Jørgen Juel Andersen & Jon H. Fiva & Gisle James Natvik, 2013. "Voting When the Stakes Are High," Working Papers, Centre for Applied Macro- and Petroleum economics (CAMP), BI Norwegian Business School 0017, Centre for Applied Macro- and Petroleum economics (CAMP), BI Norwegian Business School.
- Per Pettersson-Lidbom, 2004.
"Does the Size of the Legislature Affect the Size of Government? Evidence from Two Natural Experiments,"
Discussion Papers, Government Institute for Economic Research Finland (VATT)
350, Government Institute for Economic Research Finland (VATT).
- Pettersson-Lidbom, Per, 2012. "Does the size of the legislature affect the size of government? Evidence from two natural experiments," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 96(3), pages 269-278.
- Van Der Straeten, Karine & Sauger, Nicolas & Laslier, Jean-François & Blais, André, 2010. "The Mechanical and Psychological Effects of Electoral Systems: An Appraisal with Experimental Data," CEPREMAP Working Papers (Docweb), CEPREMAP 1021, CEPREMAP.
- Baskaran, Thushyanthan & da Fonseca, Mariana Lopes, 2013. "Electoral thresholds and political outcomes: Quasi-experimental evidence from a reform in Germany," Center for European, Governance and Economic Development Research Discussion Papers 177, University of Goettingen, Department of Economics.
- Tuukka Saarimaa & Janne Tukiainen, 2013. "Local representation and strategic voting: evidence from electoral boundary reforms," Working Papers 2013/32, Institut d'Economia de Barcelona (IEB).
- Janne Tukiainen & Teemu Lyytikäinen, 2013. "Voters are rational," Working Papers, Government Institute for Economic Research Finland (VATT) 50, Government Institute for Economic Research Finland (VATT).
- Janne Tukiainen & Tuukka Saarimaa & Hyytinen & Ari, 2013. "Seat competitiveness and redistricting: Evidence from voting on municipal mergers," Working Papers, Government Institute for Economic Research Finland (VATT) 38, Government Institute for Economic Research Finland (VATT).
- Jon H. Fiva & Olle Folke & Rune J. Sørensen, 2013. "The Power of Parties," CESifo Working Paper Series 4119, CESifo Group Munich.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Julio Saavedra).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.