Estimation of Inequality Indices
AbstractInequality measures are powerful tools of applied welfare analysis. However, to use the tools effectively one has to take into account the characteristics of the data with which one usually has to work. These raise a number of common statistical problems which are addressed here for both micro-data and grouped data. The theoretical properties of inequality measures can often be used to simplify these problems and derive implementable algorithims.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE in its series STICERD - Distributional Analysis Research Programme Papers with number 25.
Date of creation: Oct 1996
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://sticerd.lse.ac.uk/_new/publications/default.asp
Inequality; asymptotic estimates; resampling; grouping; robustness;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Foster, James E., 1983. "An axiomatic characterization of the Theil measure of income inequality," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 105-121, October.
- Davies, J. B. & Shorrocks, A. F., 1989. "Optimal grouping of income and wealth data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 97-108, September.
- Cowell, Frank A & Victoria-Feser, Maria-Pia, 1996. "Robustness Properties of Inequality Measures," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 64(1), pages 77-101, January.
- Gastwirth, Joseph L, 1974. "Large Sample Theory of Some Measures of Income Inequality," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 42(1), pages 191-96, January.
- Danziger, Sheldon & Taussig, Michael K, 1979. "The Income Unit and the Anatomy of Income Distribution," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 25(4), pages 365-75, December.
- Gastwirth, Joseph L., 1975. "The estimation of a family of measures of economic inequality," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 3(1), pages 61-70, February.
- Duangkamon Chotikapanich & William E Griffiths, 2008. "Estimating Income Distributions Using a Mixture of Gamma Densities," Department of Economics - Working Papers Series 1034, The University of Melbourne.
- Juan Ramón García, . "La desigualdad salarial en España. Efectos de un diseño muestral complejo," Working Papers 2003-26, FEDEA.
- Duangkamon Chotikapanich & William E. Griffiths, 2006. "Bayesian Assessment of Lorenz and Stochastic Dominance in Income Distributions," Department of Economics - Working Papers Series 960, The University of Melbourne.
- Frank Cowell & Maria-Pia Victoria-Feser, 2003. "Distribution-Free Inference for Welfare Indices under Complete and Incomplete Information," Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer, vol. 1(3), pages 191-219, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.