Measuring School Segregation
AbstractUsing only ordinal axioms, we characterize several multigroup school segregation indices:� the Atkinson Indices for the class of school districts with a given fixed number of ethnic groups and the Mutual Information Index for the class of all districts.� Properties of other school segregation indices are also discussed.� In an empirical application, we document a weakening of the effect of ethnicity on school assignment from 1987/8 to 2007/8.� We also show that segregation between districts within cities currently accounts for 33% of total segregation.� Segregation between states, driven mainly by the distinct residental patterns of Hispanics, contributes another 32%.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Iowa State University, Department of Economics in its series Staff General Research Papers with number 31808.
Date of creation: 04 Aug 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Iowa State University, Dept. of Economics, 260 Heady Hall, Ames, IA 50011-1070
Phone: +1 515.294.6741
Fax: +1 515.294.0221
Web page: http://www.econ.iastate.edu
More information through EDIRC
Segregation; measurement; indices;
Other versions of this item:
- C43 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods: Special Topics - - - Index Numbers and Aggregation
- D63 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Equity, Justice, Inequality, and Other Normative Criteria and Measurement
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-08-14 (All new papers)
- NEP-EDU-2010-08-14 (Education)
- NEP-URE-2010-08-14 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ricardo Mora & Javier Ruiz-Castillo, 2004.
"Gender segregation by occupations in the public and the private sector.The case of Spain,"
Fundación SEPI, vol. 28(3), pages 399-428, September.
- Ricardo Mora & Javier Ruiz-Castillo, 2003. "Gender Segregation By Occupation In The Public And The Private Sector. The Case Of Spain," Economics Working Papers we031604, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía.
- Fryer, Roland & Echenique, Federico, 2007. "A Measure of Segregation Based on Social Interactions," Scholarly Articles 2958220, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Atkinson, Anthony B., 1970. "On the measurement of inequality," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 244-263, September.
- Philipson Tomas, 1993. "Social Welfare and Measurement of Segregation," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 60(2), pages 322-334, August.
- Victor R. Fuchs, 1975. "A Note on Sex Segregation in Professional Occupations," NBER Chapters, in: Explorations in Economic Research, Volume 2, number 1, pages 105-111 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hutchens, Robert, 2001. "Numerical measures of segregation: desirable properties and their implications," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 13-29, July.
- Clotfelter, Charles T., 1998.
"Public School Segregation in Metropolitan Areas,"
98-12, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- Card, David & Rothstein, Jesse, 2007.
"Racial segregation and the black-white test score gap,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 91(11-12), pages 2158-2184, December.
- David Card & Jesse Rothstein, 2006. "Racial Segregation and the Black-White Test Score Gap," NBER Working Papers 12078, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David Card & Jesse Rothstein, 2005. "Racial Segregation and the Black-White Test Score Gap," Working Papers 93, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Center for Economic Policy Studies..
- Shorrocks, A F, 1980. "The Class of Additively Decomposable Inequality Measures," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(3), pages 613-25, April.
- Foster, James E., 1983. "An axiomatic characterization of the Theil measure of income inequality," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 105-121, October.
- Grant, Simon & Kajii, Atsushi & Polak, Ben, 1998.
"Intrinsic Preference for Information,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 83(2), pages 233-259, December.
- Bourguignon, Francois, 1979. "Decomposable Income Inequality Measures," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(4), pages 901-20, July.
- repec:pri:indrel:681 is not listed on IDEAS
- Ricardo Mora & Javier Ruiz-Castillo, 2003.
"Additively Decomposable Segregation Indexes. The Case Of Gender Segregation By Occupations And Human Capital Levels In Spain,"
Economics Working Papers
we031503, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía.
- Ricardo Mora & Javier Ruiz-Castillo, 2003. "Additively Decomposable Segregation Indexes. The Case of Gender Segregation by Occupations and Human Capital Levels in Spain," Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer, vol. 1(2), pages 147-179, August.
- Michael A. Boozer & Alan B. Krueger & Shari Wolkon, 1992. "Race and School Quality Since Brown vs. Board of Education," NBER Working Papers 4109, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- James Sakoda, 1981. "A generalized index of dissimilarity," Demography, Springer, vol. 18(2), pages 245-250, May.
- José Alcalde Pérez & Begoña Subiza Martínez, 2012.
"On integration policies and schooling,"
Working Papers. Serie AD
2012-06, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Alcalde, José & Subiza, Begoña, 2012. "Affirmative Action and School Choice," QM&ET Working Papers 12-3, Universidad de Alicante, Departamento de Métodos Cuantitativos y Teoría Económica.
- Olga Alonso Villar & Coral del Río, 2010. "Segregation of female and male workers in Spain: occupations and industries," Hacienda Pública Española, IEF, vol. 194(3), pages 91-121, June.
- Tugce Cuhadaroglu, 2013. "My Group Beats Your Group: Evaluating Non-Income Inequalities," Discussion Paper Series, Department of Economics 201308, Department of Economics, University of St. Andrews.
- Angelo, Mele, 2009.
"Poisson Indices of Segregation,"
15155, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Margareta Kreimer & Ricardo Mora, 2013. "Segregated integration : recent trends in the Austrian gender division of labor," Economics Working Papers we1317, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía.
- Coral del Río & Olga Alonso-Villar, 2011.
"Occupational Segregation Measures: A Role for Status,"
1103, Universidade de Vigo, Departamento de Economía Aplicada.
- Coral del Río & Olga Alonso-Villar, 2010. "Occupational segregation measures: A role for status," Working Papers 167, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- Daniel Guinea Martin & Ricardo Mora & Javier Ruiz Castillo, 2012. "The joint effect of ethnicity and gender on occupational segregation : an approach based on the Mutual Information Index," Economics Working Papers we1140, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía.
- Gregorio Caetano & Vikram Maheshri, 2013. "School Segregation and the Identification of Tipping Behavior," Working Papers 2013-252-50, Department of Economics, University of Houston.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Stephanie Bridges) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Stephanie Bridges to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.