Measuring school segregation
AbstractUsing only ordinal axioms, we characterize several multigroup school segregation indices: the Atkinson indices for the class of school districts with a given fixed number of ethnic groups and the Mutual Information index for the class of all districts. Properties of other school segregation indices are also discussed. In an empirical application, we document a weakening of the effect of ethnicity on school assignment from 1987/1988 to 2007/2008. We also show that segregation between districts within cities currently accounts for 33% of total segregation. Segregation between states, driven mainly by the distinct residential patterns of Hispanics, contributes another 32%.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Economic Theory.
Volume (Year): 146 (2011)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/622869
Segregation Indices Axiomatic method Measurement Schools Education;
Other versions of this item:
- Frankel, David M. & Volij, Oscar, 2011. "Measuring School Segregation," Staff General Research Papers 35115, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Frankel, David M. & Volij, Oscar, 2010. "Measuring School Segregation," Staff General Research Papers 31808, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- C43 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods: Special Topics - - - Index Numbers and Aggregation
- D63 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Equity, Justice, Inequality, and Other Normative Criteria and Measurement
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Shorrocks, A F, 1980. "The Class of Additively Decomposable Inequality Measures," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(3), pages 613-25, April.
- Victor R. Fuchs, 1975. "A Note on Sex Segregation in Professional Occupations," NBER Chapters, in: Explorations in Economic Research, Volume 2, number 1, pages 105-111 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Grant, S & Kajii, A & Polak, B, 1997.
"Intrinsic Preference for Information,"
323, Australian National University - Department of Economics.
- Ricardo Mora & Javier Ruiz-Castillo, 2003.
"Additively Decomposable Segregation Indexes. The Case of Gender Segregation by Occupations and Human Capital Levels in Spain,"
Journal of Economic Inequality,
Springer, vol. 1(2), pages 147-179, August.
- Ricardo Mora & Javier Ruiz-Castillo, 2003. "Additively Decomposable Segregation Indexes. The Case Of Gender Segregation By Occupations And Human Capital Levels In Spain," Economics Working Papers we031503, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía.
- James Sakoda, 1981. "A generalized index of dissimilarity," Demography, Springer, vol. 18(2), pages 245-250, May.
- Ricardo Mora & Javier Ruiz-Castillo, 2004.
"Gender segregation by occupations in the public and the private sector.The case of Spain,"
Fundación SEPI, vol. 28(3), pages 399-428, September.
- Ricardo Mora & Javier Ruiz-Castillo, 2003. "Gender Segregation By Occupation In The Public And The Private Sector. The Case Of Spain," Economics Working Papers we031604, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía.
- Fryer, Roland & Echenique, Federico, 2007. "A Measure of Segregation Based on Social Interactions," Scholarly Articles 2958220, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Hutchens, Robert, 2001. "Numerical measures of segregation: desirable properties and their implications," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 13-29, July.
- Michael A. Boozer & Alan B. Krueger & Shari Wolkon, 1992. "Race and School Quality Since Brown vs. Board of Education," NBER Working Papers 4109, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Philipson Tomas, 1993. "Social Welfare and Measurement of Segregation," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 60(2), pages 322-334, August.
- David Card & Jesse Rothstein, 2005.
"Racial Segregation and the Black-White Test Score Gap,"
109rothstein.pdf, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Center for Economic Policy Studies..
- Card, David & Rothstein, Jesse, 2007. "Racial segregation and the black-white test score gap," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 91(11-12), pages 2158-2184, December.
- David Card & Jesse Rothstein, 2006. "Racial Segregation and the Black-White Test Score Gap," NBER Working Papers 12078, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bourguignon, Francois, 1979. "Decomposable Income Inequality Measures," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(4), pages 901-20, July.
- Charles T. Clotfelter, 1999.
"Public School Segregation in Metropolitan Areas,"
University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 75(4), pages 487-504.
- repec:pri:indrel:681 is not listed on IDEAS
- Foster, James E., 1983. "An axiomatic characterization of the Theil measure of income inequality," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 105-121, October.
- Atkinson, Anthony B., 1970. "On the measurement of inequality," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 244-263, September.
- Margareta Kreimer & Ricardo Mora, 2013. "Segregated integration : recent trends in the Austrian gender division of labor," Economics Working Papers we1317, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía.
- Coral del Río & Olga Alonso-Villar, 2010.
"Occupational segregation measures: A role for status,"
167, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- Coral del Río & Olga Alonso-Villar, 2011. "Occupational Segregation Measures: A Role for Status," Working Papers 1103, Universidade de Vigo, Departamento de Economía Aplicada.
- Gregorio Caetano & Vikram Maheshri, 2013. "School Segregation and the Identification of Tipping Behavior," Working Papers 2013-252-50, Department of Economics, University of Houston.
- Angelo, Mele, 2009.
"Poisson Indices of Segregation,"
15155, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Daniel Guinea Martin & Ricardo Mora & Javier Ruiz Castillo, 2012. "The joint effect of ethnicity and gender on occupational segregation : an approach based on the Mutual Information Index," Economics Working Papers we1140, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía.
- José Alcalde Pérez & Begoña Subiza Martínez, 2012.
"On integration policies and schooling,"
Working Papers. Serie AD
2012-06, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Tugce Cuhadaroglu, 2013. "My Group Beats Your Group: Evaluating Non-Income Inequalities," Discussion Paper Series, Department of Economics 201308, Department of Economics, University of St. Andrews.
- Olga Alonso Villar & Coral del Río, 2010. "Segregation of female and male workers in Spain: occupations and industries," Hacienda Pública Española, IEF, vol. 194(3), pages 91-121, June.
- Alcalde, José & Subiza, Begoña, 2012. "Affirmative Action and School Choice," QM&ET Working Papers 12-3, Universidad de Alicante, Departamento de Métodos Cuantitativos y Teoría Económica.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.