A Review of the Literature on the Social Cost of Motor Vehicle Use in the United States
AbstractOver the past five years, analysts and policymakers have become increasingly interested in the â€œfull social costâ€ of motor vehicle use. Not surprisingly, there is little agreement about how to estimate the social cost or why, with the result that estimates and interpretations can diverge tremendously. In this situation, policymakers and others who wish to apply estimates of the social cost of motor vehicle use might find it useful to have most of the major estimates summarized and evaluated in one place. Toward this end, we review the purpose, scope, and conclusions of most of the recent major U.S. studies, and summarize the cost estimates by individual category. We also assess the level of detail of each major cost estimate in the studies.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Institute of Transportation Studies, UC Davis in its series Institute of Transportation Studies, Working Paper Series with number qt1tk1s936.
Date of creation: 01 Jan 1998
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 2028 Academic Surge, One Shields Avenue, Davis, CA 95616
Phone: (530) 752-6548
Web page: http://www.escholarship.org/repec/itsdavis/
More information through EDIRC
social; cost; motor vehicle use; estimate;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Baumol,William J. & Oates,Wallace E., 1988. "The Theory of Environmental Policy," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521311120, December.
- Baumol,William J. & Oates,Wallace E., 1988. "The Theory of Environmental Policy," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521322249, December.
- Levinson, David, 1996. "The Full Cost of Intercity Travel," University of California Transportation Center, Working Papers qt6fs9s9xc, University of California Transportation Center.
- Viju, Crina & Kerr, William A. & Nolan, James F., 2006. "Subsidization of the Biofuel Industry: Security vs. Clean Air?," 2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA 21321, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Delucchi, Mark & Murphy, James, 2008.
"How large are tax subsidies to motor-vehicle users in the US?,"
Institute of Transportation Studies, Working Paper Series
qt3pc3d715, Institute of Transportation Studies, UC Davis.
- Delucchi, Mark A. & Murphy, James J., 2008. "How large are tax subsidies to motor-vehicle users in the US?," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 196-208, May.
- Kravitz, Troy & Lutter, Randall, 2003. "Do Regulations Requiring Light Trucks To Be More Fuel Efficient Make Economic Sense? An Evaluation of NHTSA's Proposed Standards," Working paper 223, Regulation2point0.
- Michael Duncan, 2011. "The cost saving potential of carsharing in a US context," Transportation, Springer, vol. 38(2), pages 363-382, March.
- Thakuriah (Vonu), Piyushimita & Persky, Joseph & Soot, Siim & Sriraj, P.S., 2013. "Costs and benefits of employment transportation for low-wage workers: An assessment of job access public transportation services," Evaluation and Program Planning, Elsevier, vol. 37(C), pages 31-42.
- Litman, Todd, 2007. "Evaluating rail transit benefits: A comment," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 94-97, January.
- Gonzales, Eric Justin, 2011. "Allocation of Space and the Costs of Multimodal Transport in Cities," University of California Transportation Center, Working Papers qt07x7h9pg, University of California Transportation Center.
- van Exel, Job & Rienstra, Sytze & Gommers, Michael & Pearman, Alan & Tsamboulas, Dimitrios, 2002. "EU involvement in TEN development: network effects and European value added," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 299-311, October.
- Litman, Todd, 2005. "Efficient vehicles versus efficient transportation. Comparing transportation energy conservation strategies," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 121-129, March.
- Delucchi, Mark & Murphy, James & McCubbin, Donald, 2002. "The Health and Visibility Cost of Air Pollution: A Comparison of Estimation Methods," Institute of Transportation Studies, Working Paper Series qt03s2x9xb, Institute of Transportation Studies, UC Davis.
- Gonzales, Eric Justin, 2011. "Allocation of Space and the Costs of Multimodal Transport in Cities," University of California Transportation Center, Working Papers qt7s28n4nj, University of California Transportation Center.
- Bhavik Bakshi & Nathan Cruze & Tim Haab & Matthew Winden, 2013. "Integrating Life Cycle Assessment and Choice Analysis for Alternative Fuel Valuation," Working Papers 13-01, UW-Whitewater, Department of Economics.
- Safirova, Elena A. & Houde, Sébastien & Harrington, Winston, 2008. "Marginal Social Cost Pricing on a Transportation Network: Comparison of Second-Best Policies," Discussion Papers dp-07-52, Resources For the Future.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lisa Schiff).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.