On R&D Information Sharing and Merger
AbstractThe paper deals with the issue of information sharing in a Cournot duopoly by an innovating firm in the face of a merger with its rival. The innovating firm would share information about the cost realization with its rival provided the market size is relatively small or, the R&D technology is relatively more efficient in a medium market size. However, in a large market, or in a medium market size with less efficient R&D technology, the innovating firm does not share information with its rival. We also show that the social welfare may be higher under incomplete information regime.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Centre for Development Economics, Delhi School of Economics in its series Working papers with number 145.
Length: 19 pages
Date of creation: Aug 2006
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- L13 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Oligopoly and Other Imperfect Markets
- O32 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Management of Technological Innovation and R&D
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2006-10-07 (All new papers)
- NEP-BEC-2006-10-07 (Business Economics)
- NEP-COM-2006-10-07 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-IND-2006-10-07 (Industrial Organization)
- NEP-INO-2006-10-07 (Innovation)
- NEP-KNM-2006-10-07 (Knowledge Management & Knowledge Economy)
- NEP-MIC-2006-10-07 (Microeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Shapiro, Carl, 1986. "Exchange of Cost Information in Oligopoly," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 53(3), pages 433-46, July.
- Vives, Xavier, 1990.
"Information and competitive advantage,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 17-35.
- Kit Pong Wong & Tse, Maurice K. S., 1997. "Mergers and investments in cost reduction with private information revisited," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 15(5), pages 629-634, August.
- Stenbacka, L. Rune, 1991. "Mergers and investments in cost reduction with private information," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 397-405, September.
- Gal-Or, Esther, 1987. "First Mover Disadvantages with Private Information," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 54(2), pages 279-92, April.
- Salant, Stephen W & Switzer, Sheldon & Reynolds, Robert J, 1983. "Losses from Horizontal Merger: The Effects of an Exogenous Change in Industry Structure on Cournot-Nash Equilibrium," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 98(2), pages 185-99, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Vinayan. K.P).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.