Old and new ideas in Competition Policy
AbstractThis paper reviews the evolution of competition policy during the 20th century. It identifies the major principles underlying these policies and shows that two major challenges will have to be faced in the near future. On one hand, the technological changes introduced by the so-called 'new economy' are rapidly replacing some old rules, by reshaping the concepts of monopoly power and market dominance. On the other hand, internationalisation of economic boundaries is creating a greater need of policy coordination, not only between the US and the EU, but a global level as well. These ideas will define the evolution of competition policy in the next decades.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Facultad de Ciencias Económicas de la ULPGC in its series Documentos de trabajo conjunto ULL-ULPGC with number 2003-06.
Length: 26 pages
Date of creation: 2003
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Competition policy; new economy; international coordination;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2003-04-02 (All new papers)
- NEP-COM-2003-04-02 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-HPE-2003-04-02 (History & Philosophy of Economics)
- NEP-MIC-2003-04-02 (Microeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nicholas Economides, 2001.
"The Microsoft Antitrust Case,"
Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade,
Springer, vol. 1(1), pages 7-39, March.
- Economides, N., 2001. "The Microsoft Antitrust Case," New York University, Leonard N. Stern School Finance Department Working Paper Seires 01-00, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business-.
- Malerba, Franco & Nelson, Richard & Orsenigo, Luigi & Winter, Sidney, 2001. "Competition and industrial policies in a 'history friendly' model of the evolution of the computer industry," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 19(5), pages 635-664, April.
- Hahn, Robert W., 2001. "A Primer on Competition Policy and the New Economy," Working paper 266, Regulation2point0.
- Kovacic, William E, 1992. "The Influence of Economics on Antitrust Law," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 30(2), pages 294-306, April.
- Jean Tirole, 1988. "The Theory of Industrial Organization," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262200716, December.
- William E. Kovacic & Carl Shapiro, 2003.
"Antitrust Policy: A Century of Economic and Legal Thinking,"
Law and Economics
- William E. Kovacic & Carl Shapiro, 2000. "Antitrust Policy: A Century of Economic and Legal Thinking," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 14(1), pages 43-60, Winter.
- Kovacic, William E. & Shapiro, Carl, 1999. "Antitrust Policy: A Century of Economic and Legal Thinking," Competition Policy Center, Working Paper Series qt5zb4g387, Competition Policy Center, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Hay, Donald, 1993. "The Assessment: Competition Policy," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 9(2), pages 1-26, Summer.
- Michael Perelman, 1994. "Retrospectives: Fixed Capital, Railroad Economics and the Critique of the Market," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 8(3), pages 189-195, Summer.
- Juan Luis Jiménez & Javier Campos, 2004. "Efectos de la descentralización de la política de defensa de la competencia," Documentos de trabajo conjunto ULL-ULPGC 2004-09, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas de la ULPGC.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Patricia Santana).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.