The Process of Fixing the British National Minimum Wage, 1997-2007
AbstractThe British National Minimum Wage was introduced in 1999 under the guidance of a Low Pay Commission constructed on a basis of ‘social partnership’. The paper analyses its conduct over its first ten years from diary data. Key challenges were for it to be independent of government, to have its advice accepted by government, and to maintain internal unanimity. The changing internal dynamics of the Commission, and its major negotiations over the level of the Minimum Wage, are described and analysed. Conclusions are drawn for the social partnership process.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge in its series Cambridge Working Papers in Economics with number 0904.
Date of creation: Feb 2009
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.econ.cam.ac.uk/index.htm
minimum wage; social partnership; bargaining relationship; mediation.;
Other versions of this item:
- William Brown, 2009. "The Process of Fixing the British National Minimum Wage, 1997-2007," British Journal of Industrial Relations, London School of Economics, vol. 47(2), pages 429-443, 06.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- William Brown, 2000.
"Putting Partnership Into Practice In Britain,"
ESRC Centre for Business Research - Working Papers
wp178, ESRC Centre for Business Research.
- Metcalf, David, 1999. "The Low Pay Commission and the National Minimum Wage," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 109(453), pages F46-66, February.
- Brown, W., 2002. "The Operation of the Low Pay Commission," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0223, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Frings, Hanna & vom Berge, Philipp & Paloyo, Alfredo R., 2013.
"High-Impact Minimum Wages and Heterogeneous Regions,"
Annual Conference 2013 (Duesseldorf): Competition Policy and Regulation in a Global Economic Order
79828, Verein für Socialpolitik / German Economic Association.
- Philipp vom Berge & Hanna Frings & Alfredo R. Paloyo, 2013. "High-Impact Minimum Wages and Heterogeneous Regions," Ruhr Economic Papers 0408, Rheinisch-Westfälisches Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung, Ruhr-Universität Bochum, Universität Dortmund, Universität Duisburg-Essen.
- Eliav Danziger & Leif Danziger, 2014. "A Pareto-Improving Minimum Wage," CESifo Working Paper Series 4762, CESifo Group Munich.
- Boeri, Tito, 2012.
"Setting the minimum wage,"
Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 281-290.
- Danziger, Eliav & Danziger, Leif, 2014. "A Pareto-Improving Minimum Wage," IZA Discussion Papers 8123, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Howard Cobb).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.