Why Did the Sign of the Price-Output Correlation Change? Evidence from a Structural VAR with GARCH Errors
AbstractIt is generally agreed that the price-output correlation in the United States was positive prior to the Second World War, but became negative during the postwar period (at least by 1972). This paper offers evidence that the price-output correlation changed signs because of a decrease in the variability of aggregate demand. A structural VAR with bivariate GARCH (1,1) errors is used to estimate a times series of price-output correlations as well as of the conditional variances of the structural shocks to AD and AS. It is found that during the postwar period the price-output correlation is negative and significantly different from zero only when the standard deviation of the AD shock is less than that of the AS shock.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Ball State University, Department of Economics in its series Working Papers with number 200602.
Length: 27 pages
Date of creation: Mar 2006
Date of revision: Mar 2006
Price-Output Correlation; Structural VAR; Supply and Demand Shocks; Blanchard-Quah Decomposition;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E3 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models; Diffusion Processes
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2006-05-27 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2006-05-27 (Central Banking)
- NEP-ETS-2006-05-27 (Econometric Time Series)
- NEP-MAC-2006-05-27 (Macroeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Friedman, Milton, 1977. "Nobel Lecture: Inflation and Unemployment," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 85(3), pages 451-72, June.
- Bankim Chadha & Eswar Prasad, 1993. "Interpreting the Cyclical Behavior of Prices," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 40(2), pages 266-298, June.
- Finn E. Kydland & Edward C. Prescott, 1990. "Business cycles: real facts and a monetary myth," Quarterly Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, issue Spr, pages 3-18.
- Laurence Ball & N. Gregory Mankiw, 1995.
"A Sticky-Price Manifesto,"
NBER Working Papers
4677, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Laurence Ball & N. Gregory Mankiw, 1994. "A sticky-price manifesto," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas, issue Apr.
- Ball, Laurence & Mankiw, N. Gregory, 1994. "A sticky-price manifesto," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 127-151, December.
- Sims, Christopher A, 1980. "Macroeconomics and Reality," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(1), pages 1-48, January.
- Olivier Jean Blanchard & Danny Quah, 1988.
"The Dynamic Effects of Aggregate Demand and Supply Disturbance,"
497, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Blanchard, Olivier Jean & Quah, Danny, 1989. "The Dynamic Effects of Aggregate Demand and Supply Disturbances," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(4), pages 655-73, September.
- Olivier Jean Blanchard & Danny Quah, 1990. "The Dynamic Effects of Aggregate Demand and Supply Disturbances," NBER Working Papers 2737, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michael R. Pakko, 1997.
"The cyclical relationship between output and prices: an analysis in the frequency domain,"
1997-007, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Pakko, Michael R, 2000. "The Cyclical Relationship between Output and Prices: An Analysis in the Frequency Domain," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 32(3), pages 382-99, August.
- N. Gregory Mankiw, 1989.
"Real Business Cycles: A New Keynesian Perspective,"
NBER Working Papers
2882, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Judd, John P & Trehan, Bharat, 1995.
"The Cyclical Behavior of Prices: Interpreting the Evidence,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 27(3), pages 789-97, August.
- John P. Judd & Bharat Trehan, 1993. "The cyclical behavior of prices: interpreting the evidence," Working Papers in Applied Economic Theory 93-14, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Cooley, T.F. & Ohanian, L.E., 1989.
"The Cyclical Behavior Of Prices,"
RCER Working Papers
188, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Robert J. Gordon, 1986. "The American Business Cycle: Continuity and Change," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number gord86-1.
- Cover James Peery & Pecorino Paul, 2003. "Optimal Monetary Policy and the Correlation between Prices and Output," The B.E. Journal of Macroeconomics, De Gruyter, vol. 3(1), pages 1-21, February.
- James Hartley, 1999. "Real myths and a monetary fact," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 31(11), pages 1325-1329.
- Holger C. Wolf, 1991. "Procyclical prices: a demi-myth?," Quarterly Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, issue Spr, pages 25-28.
- Arthur F. Burns & Wesley C. Mitchell, 1946. "Measuring Business Cycles," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number burn46-1.
- Floden, Martin, 2000. "Endogenous monetary policy and the business cycle," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 44(8), pages 1409-1429, August.
- Lucas, Robert Jr., 1972. "Expectations and the neutrality of money," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 103-124, April.
- Cover, James Peery & Enders, Walter & Hueng, C. James, 2006. "Using the Aggregate Demand-Aggregate Supply Model to Identify Structural Demand-Side and Supply-Side Shocks: Results Using a Bivariate VAR," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 38(3), pages 777-790, April.
- Smith, R Todd, 1992. "The Cyclical Behavior of Prices," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 24(4), pages 413-30, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Tung Liu).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.