Nonparametric Analysis of Two-Sided Markets
AbstractThis paper considers an empirical semiparametric model for two-sided markets. Contrary to existing empirical literature on two-sided markets, we do not rely on linear network effects. Instead, network effects and probability distribution functions of net benefits of two sides are specified nonparametrically. The demand functions and the network effect functions of readers and advertisers are estimated by nonparametric IV estimation using a data set from German magazine industry. The ill-posed inverse problem faced during the estimation is solved by Tikhonov Regularization. We show that semiparametric specification is supported by the data and the network effects on readers' side are neither linear nor monotonic. With a numerical illustration we demonstrate that the mark-up of the magazine on readers' side is 27% higher with the nonlinearly specified network effects than in the case with linear network effects.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics, University of Bristol, UK in its series Bristol Economics Discussion Papers with number 12/628.
Length: 59 pages
Date of creation: Oct 2012
Date of revision:
Two-sided markets; Network externality; Nonparametric IV; Ill-posed inverse problems; Tikhonov Regularization;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
- C30 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - General
- L14 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Transactional Relationships; Contracts and Reputation
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-02-08 (All new papers)
- NEP-COM-2013-02-08 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-ECM-2013-02-08 (Econometrics)
- NEP-NET-2013-02-08 (Network Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- V. Chernozhukov & I. Fernández-Val & A. Galichon, 2009.
"Improving point and interval estimators of monotone functions by rearrangement,"
Biometrika Trust, vol. 96(3), pages 559-575.
- Victor Chernozhukov & Ivan Fernandez-Val & Alfred Galichon, 2008. "Improving point and interval estimates of monotone functions by rearrangement," CeMMAP working papers CWP17/08, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Argentesi, Elena & Ivaldi, Marc, 2005. "Market Definition in the Printed Media Industry: Theory and Practice," CEPR Discussion Papers 5096, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Richard Blundell & Xiaohong Chen & Dennis Kristensen, 2007.
"Semi-Nonparametric IV Estimation of Shape-Invariant Engel Curves,"
Econometric Society, vol. 75(6), pages 1613-1669, November.
- Blundell, R. & Chen, X. & Kristensen, D., 2007. "Semi-nonparametric IV estimation of shape-invariant Engel curves," Open Access publications from University College London http://discovery.ucl.ac.u, University College London.
- Fève, Frédérique & Florens, Jean-Pierre, 2009. "The Practice of Non Parametric Estimation by Solving Inverse Problems: The Example of Transformation Models," IDEI Working Papers 615, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Armstrong, M., 2006.
"Competition in two-sided markets,"
Open Access publications from University College London
http://discovery.ucl.ac.u, University College London.
- Mark Armstrong Author-Email: email@example.com Author-Workplace-Name: University College of London, 2006. "Competition in Two-Sided Markets," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 37(3), pages 668-691, Autumn.
- Mark Armstrong, 2006. "Competition in two‐sided markets," RAND Journal of Economics, RAND Corporation, vol. 37(3), pages 668-691, 09.
- Rochet, Jean-Charles & Tirole, Jean, 2003.
"Platform Competition in Two-Sided Markets,"
IDEI Working Papers
152, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Jean-Charles Rochet & Jean Triole, 2002. "Platform Competition in Two Sided Markets," FMG Discussion Papers dp409, Financial Markets Group.
- Rochet, Jean-Charles & Tirole, Jean, 2003. "Platform Competition in Two-Sided Markets," Open Access publications from University of Toulouse 1 Capitole http://neeo.univ-tlse1.fr, University of Toulouse 1 Capitole.
- repec:ner:sciepo:info:hdl:2441/5rkqqmvrn4tl22s9mc4g26e99 is not listed on IDEAS
- Elena Argentesi & Lapo Filistrucchi, 2005.
"Estimating market power in a two-sided market: the case of newspapers,"
Economics Working Papers
ECO2005/07, European University Institute.
- Elena Argentesi & Lapo Filistrucchi, 2007. "Estimating market power in a two-sided market: The case of newspapers," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(7), pages 1247-1266.
- Kaiser, Ulrich & Song, Minjae, 2009. "Do media consumers really dislike advertising? An empirical assessment of the role of advertising in print media markets," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 292-301, March.
- Stefan Behringer & Lapo Filistrucchi, 2009. "Price Wars in Two-Sided Markets: The case of the UK Quality Newspapers," Working Papers 09-26, NET Institute, revised Dec 2009.
- Richard Blundell & Xiaohong Chen & Dennis Kristensen, 2003. "Nonparametric IV estimation of shape-invariant Engel curves," CeMMAP working papers CWP15/03, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Xavier d'Haultfoeuille, 2006.
"On the Completeness Condition in Nonparametric Instrumental Problems,"
2006-32, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- D’Haultfoeuille, Xavier, 2011. "On The Completeness Condition In Nonparametric Instrumental Problems," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 27(03), pages 460-471, June.
- Whitney K. Newey & James L. Powell, 2003. "Instrumental Variable Estimation of Nonparametric Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(5), pages 1565-1578, 09.
- Victor Chernozhukov & Patrick Gagliardini & Olivier Scaillet, 2006. "Nonparametric Instrumental Variable Estimators of Structural Quantile Effects," Swiss Finance Institute Research Paper Series 08-03, Swiss Finance Institute, revised Aug 2009.
- Flachaire, Emmanuel, 2005.
"Bootstrapping heteroskedastic regression models: wild bootstrap vs. pairs bootstrap,"
Computational Statistics & Data Analysis,
Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 361-376, April.
- Emmanuel Flachaire, 2005. "Bootstrapping heteroskedastic regression models: wild bootstrap vs. pairs bootstrap," UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00175910, HAL.
- Jean Tirole, 1988. "The Theory of Industrial Organization," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262200716, June.
- Senay Sokullu, 2012. "Nonparametric Estimation of Semiparametric Transformation Models," Bristol Economics Discussion Papers 12/625, Department of Economics, University of Bristol, UK.
- Fève, Frédérique & Florens, Jean-Pierre, 2009. "The Practice of Non Parametric Estimation by Solving Inverse Problems: The Example of Transformation Models," TSE Working Papers 10-169, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE).
- Van Keilegom, Ingrid & Vanhems, Anne, 2011. "Semiparametric transformation model with endogeneity: a control function approach," TSE Working Papers 11-243, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE).
- Lapo Filistrucchi & Damien Geradin & Eric van Damme, 2012.
"Identifying Two-Sided Markets,"
Working Papers Series
wp2012_01.rdf, Universita' degli Studi di Firenze, Dipartimento di Scienze dell'Economia e Dell'Impresa.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sharon Bryant).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.