Instrumental Variable Treatment of Nonclassical Measurement Error Models
AbstractWhile the literature on nonclassical measurement error traditionally relies on the availability of an auxiliary data set containing correctly measured observations, we establish that the availability of instruments enables the identification of a large class of nonclassical nonlinear errors-in-variables models with continuously distributed variables. Our main identifying assumption is that, conditional on the value of the true regressors, some "measure of location" of the distribution of the measurement error (e.g., its mean, mode, or median) is equal to zero. The proposed approach relies on the eigenvalue-eigenfunction decomposition of an integral operator associated with specific joint probability densities. The main identifying assumption is used to "index" the eigenfunctions so that the decomposition is unique. We propose a convenient sieve-based estimator, derive its asymptotic properties, and investigate its finite-sample behavior through Monte Carlo simulations. Copyright The Econometric Society 2008.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Econometric Society in its journal Econometrica.
Volume (Year): 76 (2008)
Issue (Month): 1 (01)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Schennach, Susanne M., 2004. "Nonparametric Regression In The Presence Of Measurement Error," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 20(06), pages 1046-1093, December.
- Xiaohong Chen & Xiaotong Shen, 1998. "Sieve Extremum Estimates for Weakly Dependent Data," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 66(2), pages 289-314, March.
- Arthur Lewbel, 2007.
"Estimation of Average Treatment Effects with Misclassification,"
Econometric Society, vol. 75(2), pages 537-551, 03.
- Arthur Lewbel, 2003. "Estimation of Average Treatment Effects With Misclassification," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 556, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 04 Sep 2006.
- Arthur Lewbel, 2004. "Estimation of Average Treatment Effects With Misclassification," Econometric Society 2004 North American Winter Meetings 210, Econometric Society.
- Li, Tong, 2002. "Robust and consistent estimation of nonlinear errors-in-variables models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 110(1), pages 1-26, September.
- Arthur Lewbel, 1998. "Semiparametric Latent Variable Model Estimation with Endogenous or Mismeasured Regressors," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 66(1), pages 105-122, January.
- Karim Chalak & Halbert White, 2007. "An Extended Class of Instrumental Variables for the Estimation of Causal Effects," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 692, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 30 Nov 2009.
- Chernozhukov, Victor & Imbens, Guido W. & Newey, Whitney K., 2007. "Instrumental variable estimation of nonseparable models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 139(1), pages 4-14, July.
- Bound, John & Krueger, Alan B, 1991.
"The Extent of Measurement Error in Longitudinal Earnings Data: Do Two Wrongs Make a Right?,"
Journal of Labor Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 9(1), pages 1-24, January.
- John Bound & Alan B. Krueger, 1989. "The Extent of Measurement Error In Longitudinal Earnings Data: Do Two Wrongs Make A Right?," NBER Working Papers 2885, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Aprajit Mahajan, 2006. "Identification and Estimation of Regression Models with Misclassification," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 74(3), pages 631-665, 05.
- Joel L. Horowitz, 2006. "Testing a Parametric Model Against a Nonparametric Alternative with Identification Through Instrumental Variables," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 74(2), pages 521-538, 03.
- Xiaohong Chen & Han Hong & Elie Tamer, 2005. "Measurement Error Models with Auxiliary Data," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 72(2), pages 343-366.
- Andrew Chesher, 2001. "Parameter approximations for quantile regressions with measurement error," CeMMAP working papers CWP02/01, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Hong, Han & Tamer, Elie, 2003. "A simple estimator for nonlinear error in variable models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 117(1), pages 1-19, November.
- Stefan Hoderlein & Enno Mammen, 2007. "Identification of Marginal Effects in Nonseparable Models Without Monotonicity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 75(5), pages 1513-1518, 09.
- Jerry Hausman, 2001. "Mismeasured Variables in Econometric Analysis: Problems from the Right and Problems from the Left," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 15(4), pages 57-67, Fall.
- Whitney Newey, 1999.
"Flexible Simulated Moment Estimation of Nonlinear Errors-in-Variables Models,"
99-02, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Whitney K. Newey, 2001. "Flexible Simulated Moment Estimation Of Nonlinear Errors-In-Variables Models," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 83(4), pages 616-627, November.
- Susanne M. Schennach, 2004. "Estimation of Nonlinear Models with Measurement Error," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 72(1), pages 33-75, 01.
- Chesher, Andrew & Dumangane, Montezuma & Smith, Richard J., 2002. "Duration response measurement error," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 111(2), pages 169-194, December.
- Susanne M. Schennach, 2004.
"Instrumental Variable Estimation of Nonlinear Errors-in-Variables Models,"
Econometric Society 2004 North American Summer Meetings
602, Econometric Society.
- Susanne M Schennach, 2007. "Instrumental Variable Estimation of Nonlinear Errors-in-Variables Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 75(1), pages 201-239, 01.
- Whitney K. Newey & James L. Powell, 2003. "Instrumental Variable Estimation of Nonparametric Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(5), pages 1565-1578, 09.
- Bollinger, Christopher R, 1998. "Measurement Error in the Current Population Survey: A Nonparametric Look," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 16(3), pages 576-94, July.
This item has more than 25 citations. To prevent cluttering this page, these citations are listed on a separate page. reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.