Factor adjustment costs: a structural investigation
AbstractThis paper assesses various capital and labour adjustment costs functions estimating a general equilibrium framework with Bayesian methods using US aggregate data. The estimation reveals that the adjustment costs are convex in both capital and labour and allowing for their joint interaction is important. The structural model enables us to identify the response of factor adjustment costs to exogenous disturbances, and to establish that shocks to technology and the job separation rate are key drivers of adjustment costs. However, the analysis shows that factor adjustment costs are unable to explain large fluctuations in the firm’s market value in the data.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Bank of England in its series Bank of England working papers with number 467.
Length: 37 pages
Date of creation: 26 Oct 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Publications Group Bank of England Threadneedle Street London EC2R 8AH
Phone: +44 (0)171 601 4030
Fax: +44 (0)171 601 5196
Web page: http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-11-03 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Monika Merz & Eran Yashiv, 2007.
"Labor and the Market Value of the Firm,"
American Economic Review, American Economic Association,
American Economic Association, vol. 97(4), pages 1419-1431, September.
- Merz, Monika & Yashiv, Eran, 2004. "Labour and the Market Value of the Firm," CEPR Discussion Papers, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers 4184, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Monika Merz & Eran Yashiv, 2005. "Labor and the Market Value of the Firm," CEP Discussion Papers dp0690, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Merz, Monika & Yashiv, Eran, 2003. "Labor and the Market Value of the Firm," IZA Discussion Papers 965, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Monika Merz & Eran Yashiv, 2005. "Labor and the market value of the firm," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library 19891, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Zuzana Janko, 2008. "Nominal Wage Contracts, Labor Adjustment Costs and the Business Cycle," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 11(2), pages 434-448, April.
- Francesco Zanetti & Federico S. Mandelman, 2013.
"Flexible prices, labor market frictions and the response of employment to technology shocks,"
Economics Series Working Papers
683, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Mandelman, Federico S. & Zanetti, Francesco, 2014. "Flexible prices, labor market frictions and the response of employment to technology shocks," Labour Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 26(C), pages 94-102.
- Mandelman, Federico S. & Zanetti, Francesco, 2013. "Flexible prices, labor market frictions, and the response of employment to technology shocks," Working Paper, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta 2013-16, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Eran Yashiv & Renato Faccini, 2014. "Inflation Dynamics and Marginal Costs: the Crucial Role of Hiring and Investment Frictions," 2014 Meeting Papers, Society for Economic Dynamics 178, Society for Economic Dynamics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Publications Team).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.