The cyclicality of mark-ups and profit margins for the United Kingdom: some new evidence
AbstractIn this paper, we assess the cyclicality of mark-ups and profit margins within the United Kingdom, at both the aggregate and industry level. We find that the private sector labour share moves countercyclically, suggesting that the aggregate mark-up moves procyclically. This result survives when we consider more sophisticated measures of the mark-up. And this result is also supported by industry-level data. We find that the aggregate market sector profit share moves procyclically and that the cyclical behaviour of profit margins is largely homogenous across industries. Nevertheless, there is some evidence that margins moved against the cycle in the late 1990s, starting to fall in 1997, whereas GDP growth did not peak until 2000. In tandem with these cyclical movements, we also find that the market sector profit share has trended upwards since 1970, in contrast to the aggregate mark-up, which fell over the same period.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Bank of England in its series Bank of England working papers with number 351.
Length: 44 pages
Date of creation: Aug 2008
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Publications Group Bank of England Threadneedle Street London EC2R 8AH
Phone: +44 (0)171 601 4030
Fax: +44 (0)171 601 5196
Web page: http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/
More information through EDIRC
Mark-ups; profit margins.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E31 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Price Level; Inflation; Deflation
- L11 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Production, Pricing, and Market Structure; Size Distribution of Firms
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-09-20 (All new papers)
- NEP-BEC-2008-09-20 (Business Economics)
- NEP-EEC-2008-09-20 (European Economics)
- NEP-MAC-2008-09-20 (Macroeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Julio J. Rotemberg & Michael Woodford, 1989.
"Oligopolistic Pricing and the Effects of Aggregate Demand on Economic Activity,"
NBER Working Papers
3206, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rotemberg, Julio J & Woodford, Michael, 1992. "Oligopolistic Pricing and the Effects of Aggregate Demand on Economic Activity," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 100(6), pages 1153-1207, December.
- David E. Weinstein & Christian Broda, 2004.
"Globalization And The Gains From Variety,"
Econometric Society 2004 Latin American Meetings
327, Econometric Society.
- David Weinstein & Christian Broda, 2004. "Globalization and the Gains from Variety," Econometric Society 2004 North American Summer Meetings 508, Econometric Society.
- Christian Broda & David E. Weinstein, 2004. "Globalization and the Gains from Variety," NBER Working Papers 10314, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David Weinstein & Christian Broda, 2004. "Globalization and the Gains from Variety," 2004 Meeting Papers 530, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Christian Broda & David Weinstein, 2004. "Globalization and the gains from variety," Staff Reports 180, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Batini, Nicoletta & Harrison, Richard & Millard, Stephen P., 2003.
"Monetary policy rules for an open economy,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 27(11), pages 2059-2094.
- Nicoletta Batini & Richard Harrison & Stephen P. Millard, 2001. "Monetary policy rules for an open economy," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Mar.
- Batini, Nicoletta & Harrison, Richard & Millard, Stephen P., 2003. "Monetary policy rules for an open economy," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 27(11-12), pages 2059-2094, September.
- Nicoletta Batini & Stephen P. Millard & Richard Harrison, 2000. "Monetary Policy Rules For An Open Economy," Computing in Economics and Finance 2000 361, Society for Computational Economics.
- Nicoletta Batini & Richard Harrison & Stephen P Millard, 2001. "Monetary policy rules for an open economy," Bank of England working papers 149, Bank of England.
- Nicholas Oulton, 2001.
"ICT and productivity growth in the United Kingdom,"
Bank of England working papers
140, Bank of England.
- Steve Ambler & Emanuela Cardia, 1993.
"The Cyclical Behaviour of Wages and Profits under Imperfect Competition,"
Cahiers de recherche CREFE / CREFE Working Papers
18, CREFE, Université du Québec à Montréal, revised Jun 1996.
- Steve Ambler & Emanuela Cardia, 1998. "The Cyclical Behaviour of Wages and Profits under Imperfect Competition," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 31(1), pages 148-164, February.
- Cardia, E. & Ambler, S., 1993. "The Cyclical Behaviour of Wages and Profits Under Imperfect Competition," Cahiers de recherche 9330, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Natalie Chen & Jean Imbs & Andrew Scott, 2006.
"The dynamics of trade and competition,"
Working Paper Research
91, National Bank of Belgium.
- Jose De Gregorio & Alberto Giovannini, 1993.
"International Evidence on Tradables and Nontradable Inflation,"
NBER Working Papers
4438, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- De Gregorio, Jose & Giovannini, Alberto & Wolf, Holger C., 1994. "International evidence on tradables and nontradables inflation," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 38(6), pages 1225-1244, June.
- Holger C. Wolf & Alberto Giovannini & Jose De Gregorio, 1994. "International Evidence on Tradables and Nontradables Inflation," IMF Working Papers 94/33, International Monetary Fund.
- Jose De Gregorio & Alberto Giovannini & Holger C. Wolf, 1993. "International Evidence on Tradables and Nontradables Inflation," Working Papers 93-17, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Paul Gomme & Jeremy Greenwood, 1992.
"On the cyclical allocation of risk,"
Discussion Paper / Institute for Empirical Macroeconomics
71, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Gomme, P. & Greenwood, J., 1993. "On the Cyclical Allocation of Risk," RCER Working Papers 355, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Gomme, P. & Greenwood, J., 1992. "On the Cyclical Allocation of Risk," UWO Department of Economics Working Papers 9205, University of Western Ontario, Department of Economics.
- Haskel, Jonathan & Martin, Christopher & Small, Ian, 1995. "Price, Marginal Cost and the Business Cycle," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 57(1), pages 25-41, February.
- Gali, J., 1991.
"Monopolistic Competition, Business Cycles and the Composition of Aggregate Demand,"
92-03, Columbia - Graduate School of Business.
- Gali Jordi, 1994. "Monopolistic Competition, Business Cycles, and the Composition of Aggregate Demand," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 73-96, June.
- Jordi Galí, 1993. "Monopolistic competition, business cycles and the composition of aggregate demand," Economics Working Papers 45, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Erik Britton & Jens D J Larsen & Ian Small, 2000. "Imperfect competition and the dynamics of mark-ups," Bank of England working papers 110, Bank of England.
- Bils, Mark, 1989. "Pricing in a Customer Market," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 104(4), pages 699-718, November.
- Ian Domowitz & R. Glenn Hubbard & Bruce C. Petersen, 1986. "Business Cycles and the Relationship Between Concentration and Price-Cost Margins," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 17(1), pages 1-17, Spring.
- Michele Boldrin & Michael Horvath, 1994.
"Labor Contracts and Business Cycles,"
1068, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Pindyck, Robert S & Rotemberg, Julio J, 1983. "Dynamic Factor Demands and the Effects of Energy Price Shocks," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 73(5), pages 1066-79, December.
- Rotemberg, Julio J, 1982. "Monopolistic Price Adjustment and Aggregate Output," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(4), pages 517-31, October.
- David Norman & Anthony Richards, 2012. "The Forecasting Performance of Single Equation Models of Inflation," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 88(280), pages 64-78, 03.
- David Norman & Anthony Richards, 2010. "Modelling Inflation in Australia," RBA Research Discussion Papers rdp2010-03, Reserve Bank of Australia.
- Gunes Kamberand Stephen Millard, 2010.
"Using estimated models to assess nominal and real rigidities in the United Kingdom,"
Reserve Bank of New Zealand Discussion Paper Series
DP2010/05, Reserve Bank of New Zealand.
- Günes Kamber & Stephen Millard, 2012. "Using Estimated Models to Assess Nominal and Real Rigidities in the United Kingdom," International Journal of Central Banking, International Journal of Central Banking, vol. 8(4), pages 97-119, December.
- Kamber, Gunes & Millard, Stephen, 2010. "Using estimated models to assess nominal and real rigidities in the United Kingdom," Bank of England working papers 396, Bank of England.
- Nir Klein, 2011. "South Africa: The Cyclical Behavior of the Markups and its Implications for Monetary Policy," IMF Working Papers 11/204, International Monetary Fund.
- Crafts, Nicholas, 2011.
"British Relative Economic Decline Revisited,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
8384, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- David Blanchflower, 2009. "Where Next For The Uk Economy?," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 56(1), pages 1-23, 02.
- Maurin, Laurent & Roma, Moreno & Vetlov, Igor, 2011.
"Profit dynamics across the largest euro area countries and sectors,"
Working Paper Series
1410, European Central Bank.
- Laurent Maurin & Moreno Roma & Igor Vetlov, 2011. "Profit Dynamics across the Largest Euro Area countries and Sectors," Bank of Lithuania Working Paper Series 12, Bank of Lithuania.
- Koski, Heli & Pajarinen, Mika, 2013. "Empirical Evaluation of the Effectiveness of Competition Policy," ETLA Working Papers 15, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Jennifer V. Greenslade & Miles Parker, 2012. "New Insights into Price‐Setting Behaviour in the UK: Introduction and Survey Results," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 122(558), pages F1-F15, 02.
- Greenslade, Jennifer & Parker, Miles, 2010. "New insights into price-setting behaviour in the United Kingdom," Bank of England working papers 395, Bank of England.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Publications Team).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.