Trading volumes, volatility and spreads in foreign exchange markets: evidence from emerging market countries
AbstractThis paper provides empirical evidence on the relationship between trading volumes, volatility and bid-ask spreads in foreign exchange markets. It uses a new data set that includes daily data on trading volumes for the dollar exchange rates of seven currencies from emerging market countries. The sample period is 1 January 1998 to 30 June 1999. The results are broadly consistent with the findings of the literature that used futures volumes as proxies for total foreign exchange trading. I find that in most cases unexpected trading volumes and volatility are positively correlated, suggesting that both are driven by the arrival of public information, as predicted by the mixture of distributions hypothesis. I also find that the correlation between trading volumes and volatility is positive during "normal" periods but turns negative when volatility increases sharply. Finally, the results suggest that volatility and spreads are positively correlated, as suggested by inventory cost models. However, contrary to the prediction of these models, I do not find evidence of a significant impact of unexpected trading volumes on spreads.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Bank for International Settlements in its series BIS Working Papers with number 93.
Length: 44 pages
Date of creation: Oct 2000
Date of revision:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Grammatikos, Theoharry & Saunders, Anthony, 1986. "Futures Price Variability: A Test of Maturity and Volume Effects," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 59(2), pages 319-30, April.
- Francis Bismans & Olivier Damette, 2012. "La taxe Tobin : une synthèse des travaux basés sur la théorie des jeux et l’économétrie," Working Papers of BETA 2012-09, Bureau d'Economie Théorique et Appliquée, UDS, Strasbourg.
- BAUWENS, Luc & RIME, Dagfinn & SUCARRAT, Genaro, 2005.
"Exchange rate volatility and the mixture of distribution hypothesis,"
CORE Discussion Papers
2005058, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Luc Bauwens & Dagfinn Rime & Genaro Sucarrat, 2006. "Exchange rate volatility and the mixture of distribution hypothesis," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 30(4), pages 889-911, January.
- BAUWENS, Luc & RIME, Dagfinn & SUCARRAT, Genaro, . "Exchange rate volatility and the mixture of distribution hypothesis," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1788, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Luc, BAUWENS & Dagfinn, RIME & Genaro, SUCARRAT, 2005. "Exchange Rate Volatility and the Mixture of Distribution Hypothesis," Discussion Papers (ECON - DÃ©partement des Sciences Economiques) 2005043, Université catholique de Louvain, Département des Sciences Economiques.
- Becker, Torbjorn & Sy, Amadou, 2006.
"Were bid-ask spreads in the FX market excessive during the Asian crisis?,"
International Review of Financial Analysis,
Elsevier, vol. 15(4-5), pages 434-449.
- TÃ¶rbjÃ¶rn I. Becker & Amadou N. R. Sy, 2005. "Were Bid-Ask Spreads in the FX Market Excessive During the Asian Crisis?," IMF Working Papers 05/34, International Monetary Fund.
- Loredana Ureche-Rangau & Fabien Collado & Ulysse Galiay, 2011. "The dynamics of the volatility – trading volume relationship: New evidence from developed and emerging markets," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 31(3), pages 2569-2583.
- Antonio Scalia, 2006.
"Is foreign exchange intervention effective? Some micro-analytical evidence from the Czech Republic,"
Temi di discussione (Economic working papers)
579, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Scalia, Antonio, 2008. "Is foreign exchange intervention effective? Some microanalytical evidence from the Czech Republic," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(4), pages 529-546, June.
- Beum-Jo Park, 2007. "Trading Volume, Volatility, And Garch Effects In The South Korean Won/Us Dollar Exchange Market: Evidence From Conditional Quantile Estimation," The Japanese Economic Review, Japanese Economic Association, vol. 58(3), pages 382-399.
- Alexander Mende, 2006.
"09/11 on the USD/EUR foreign exchange market,"
Applied Financial Economics,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(3), pages 213-222.
- Mende, Alexander, 2005. "09/11 on the USD/EUR Foreign Exchange Market," Diskussionspapiere der Wirtschaftswissenschaftlichen FakultÃ¤t der Leibniz UniversitÃ¤t Hannover dp-312, Leibniz Universität Hannover, Wirtschaftswissenschaftliche Fakultät.
- Imen Kouki & Hélène Raymond, 2006. "Analyse microstructurelle du comportement du teneur de marché des changes : étude intra-journalière de l'activité d'un teneur de marché tunisien," EconomiX Working Papers 2006-14, University of Paris West - Nanterre la Défense, EconomiX.
- Koutmos, Gregory & Martin, Anna D., 2011. "Currency bid-ask spread dynamics and the Asian crisis: Evidence across currency regimes," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 62-73, February.
- Olivier Damette, 2009. "Exchange rate volatility and noise traders: Currency Transaction Tax as an eviction device," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 29(3), pages 2449-2464.
- Park, Beum-Jo, 2010. "Surprising information, the MDH, and the relationship between volatility and trading volume," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 344-366, August.
- Khemraj, Tarron & Pasha, Sukrishnalall, 2008. "Foreign exchange market bid-ask spread and market power in an underdeveloped economy," MPRA Paper 11422, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Dagfinn Rime & Genaro Sucarrat, 2007. "Exchange rate variability, market activity and heterogeneity," Economics Working Papers we077039, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Timo Laurmaa).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.