Maturity Effects in Futures Markets: Evidence from Eleven Financial Futures Markets
AbstractThis essay examines the volatility dynamics of the financial futures returns. Samuelson (1965) demonstrated theoretically that the conditional variance of changes in futures prices should increase as the time-to-maturity decreases. Interestingly, the empirical evidence on the Samuelson hypothesis is mixed. This essay revisits that issue, applying a unified GARCH framework to a unique data set of daily data, spanning 19 years up to 2000, and eleven types of financial contracts (currencies, S&P500, Nikkei 225, Eurodollar, Treasury Bills). The conditional variance equation is augmented by time-to-maturity, open interest and trading volume variables. I detect evidence for a role of the time-to-maturity in currency futures, and mixed evidence in equity index and interest rate futures. Lagged trading volume and open interest are positively related to volatility in most of these financial futures but they do not fully account for the estimated conditional variance.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Center for International Economics, UC Santa Cruz in its series Santa Cruz Center for International Economics, Working Paper Series with number qt1n04g31b.
Date of creation: 01 Apr 2003
Date of revision:
futures; volatility; GARCH; time-to-maturity;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hennessy, David A. & Wahl, Thomas I., 1996. "Effects of Decisionmaking on the Futures Price Volatility, The," Staff General Research Papers 5031, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Copeland, Thomas E, 1976. "A Model of Asset Trading under the Assumption of Sequential Information Arrival," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 31(4), pages 1149-68, September.
- Grammatikos, Theoharry & Saunders, Anthony, 1986. "Futures Price Variability: A Test of Maturity and Volume Effects," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 59(2), pages 319-30, April.
- Harris, Lawrence, 1986. "Cross-Security Tests of the Mixture of Distributions Hypothesis," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 21(01), pages 39-46, March.
- Engle, Robert F, 1982. "Autoregressive Conditional Heteroscedasticity with Estimates of the Variance of United Kingdom Inflation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 987-1007, July.
- Anderson, Ronald W & Danthine, Jean-Pierre, 1983. "The Time Pattern of Hedging and the Volatility of Futures Prices," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 50(2), pages 249-66, April.
- Andersen, Torben G, 1996. " Return Volatility and Trading Volume: An Information Flow Interpretation of Stochastic Volatility," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 51(1), pages 169-204, March.
- Engle, Robert F & Lilien, David M & Robins, Russell P, 1987. "Estimating Time Varying Risk Premia in the Term Structure: The Arch-M Model," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 391-407, March.
- Richard, Scott F. & Sundaresan, M., 1981. "A continuous time equilibrium model of forward prices and futures prices in a multigood economy," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 347-371, December.
- David A. Hennessy & Thomas I. Wahl, 1996. "The Effects of Decision Making on Futures Price Volatility," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 78(3), pages 591-603.
- Garman, Mark B & Klass, Michael J, 1980. "On the Estimation of Security Price Volatilities from Historical Data," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 53(1), pages 67-78, January.
- Beaulieu, Marie-Claude, 1998. "Time to maturity in the basis of stock market indices: Evidence from the S&P 500 and the MMI," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 177-195, September.
- Epps, Thomas W & Epps, Mary Lee, 1976. "The Stochastic Dependence of Security Price Changes and Transaction Volumes: Implications for the Mixture-of-Distributions Hypothesis," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 44(2), pages 305-21, March.
- Cox, Charles C, 1976. "Futures Trading and Market Information," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 84(6), pages 1215-37, December.
- Harvey, Campbell R & Huang, Roger D, 1991. "Volatility in the Foreign Currency Futures Market," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 4(3), pages 543-69.
- Kyle, Albert S, 1985. "Continuous Auctions and Insider Trading," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(6), pages 1315-35, November.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- Harrison Hong, 2000. "A Model of Returns and Trading in Futures Markets," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 55(2), pages 959-988, 04.
- Jennings, Robert H. & Barry, Christopher B., 1983. "Information Dissemination and Portfolio Choice," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 18(01), pages 1-19, March.
- Bollerslev, Tim & Chou, Ray Y. & Kroner, Kenneth F., 1992. "ARCH modeling in finance : A review of the theory and empirical evidence," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 52(1-2), pages 5-59.
- Adrangi, Bahram & Chatrath, Arjun & Dhanda, Kanwalroop Kathy & Raffiee, Kambiz, 2001. "Chaos in oil prices? Evidence from futures markets," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(4), pages 405-425, July.
- Jose Montalvo, 1999. "Volume versus GARCH effects reconsidered: an application to the Spanish Government Bond Futures Market," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 9(5), pages 469-475.
- Ian Tonks & Jane Black, 1999. "Time Series Volatility Commodity Futures Prices," FMG Discussion Papers dp331, Financial Markets Group.
- Tauchen, George E & Pitts, Mark, 1983. "The Price Variability-Volume Relationship on Speculative Markets," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(2), pages 485-505, March.
- Karpoff, Jonathan M., 1987. "The Relation between Price Changes and Trading Volume: A Survey," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 22(01), pages 109-126, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lisa Schiff).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.