The measurement of effective exchange rates
AbstractThis paper reviews some of the major conceptual and methodological issues involved in the constructions of EER indices, focusing on nominal effective exchange rates. It then describes a mixed-weight index currently compiled by the BIS and subsequently analyses how the movements of the various indices have differed over time. No objective yardstick is provided whereby one index can be shown to be superior, although there is probably already more international agreement in this domain than meets the eye.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Bank for International Settlements in its series BIS Working Papers with number 10.
Length: 60 pages
Date of creation: Sep 1984
Date of revision:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Williamson, John, 1982. "A survey of the literature on the optimal peg," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 39-61, August.
- June Flanders, M. & Tishler, Asher, 1981. "The role of elasticity optimism in choosing an optimal currency basket with applications to Israel," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 395-406, August.
- Peter Hooper & John Morton, 1978. "Summary measures of the dollar's foreign exchange value," Federal Reserve Bulletin, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.), issue Oct, pages 783-789.
- Black, Stanley W, 1976. "Multilateral and Bilateral Measures of Effective Exchange Rates in a World Model of Traded Goods," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 84(3), pages 615-21, June.
- Marc Klau & San Sau Fung, 2006. "The new BIS effective exchange rate indices," BIS Quarterly Review, Bank for International Settlements, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Timo Laurmaa).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.