A Currency Basket for East Asia, Not Just China
AbstractFor their own benefit and that of the rest of the world, East Asia should adopt a basket of currencies as the numeraire for their exchange rates instead of the dollar. It would be particularly advantageous to them if they were all to adopt the same basket. Such a basket would prevent variations in extraregional exchange rates from disrupting the East Asian economies by altering effective exchange rates and the relative competitiveness of the different countries of East Asia.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Peterson Institute for International Economics in its series Policy Briefs with number PB05-01.
Date of creation: Jul 2005
Date of revision:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Williamson, John, 1982. "A survey of the literature on the optimal peg," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 39-61, August.
- de Truchis, Gilles & Keddad, Benjamin, 2013.
"Southeast Asian monetary integration: New evidences from fractional cointegration of real exchange rates,"
Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money,
Elsevier, vol. 26(C), pages 394-412.
- Gilles De Truchis & Benjamin Keddad, 2012. "South East Asian Monetary Integration: New Evidences from Fractional Cointegration of Real Exchange Rates," Working Papers halshs-00793503, HAL.
- Gilles de Truchis & Benjamin Keddad, 2012. "South East Asian Monetary Integration: New Evidences from Fractional Cointegration of Real Exchange Rates," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series wp1039, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Gilles de Truchis & Benjamin Keddad, 2012. "South East Asian Monetary Integration: New Evidences from Fractional Cointegration of Real Exchange Rates," AMSE Working Papers 1229, Aix-Marseille School of Economics, Marseille, France, revised 05 Nov 2012.
- Kim, Bong-Han & Min, Hong-Ghi & McDonald, Judy & Hwang, Young-Soon, 2012. "Yen-synchronization of floating East Asian currencies: A regime-switching regression model and micro-structural analysis," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 221-232.
- Kumakura, Masanaga, 2006. "Trade and business cycle co-movements in Asia-Pacific," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 622-645, October.
- Gilles Dufrénot & Benjamin Keddad, 2013.
"Business Cycles Synchronization in East Asia: A Markov-Switching Approach,"
AMSE Working Papers
1344, Aix-Marseille School of Economics, Marseille, France, revised Sep 2013.
- Gilles Dufrénot & Benjamin Keddad, 2013. "Business Cycles Synchronization in East Asia: A Markov-Switching Approach," Working Papers halshs-00861901, HAL.
- Click, Reid W., 2009. "The ASEAN dollar standard in the post-crisis era: A reconsideration," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 269-279, May.
- Genberg, Hans & Siklos, Pierre L., 2010.
"Revisiting the shocking aspects of Asian monetary unification,"
Journal of Asian Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 21(5), pages 445-455, October.
- Hans Genberg & Pierre L. Siklos, 2009. "Revisiting the Shocking Aspects of Asian Monetary Unification," Working Papers 192009, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- Charles Adams & Hwee Chow, 2009.
"Asian Currency Baskets: An Answer in Search of a Question?,"
Open Economies Review,
Springer, vol. 20(3), pages 403-423, July.
- Hwee Kwan Chow, 2007. "Asian Currency Baskets: An Answer in Search of a Question?," Working Papers 02-2007, Singapore Management University, School of Economics.
- Charles Adams & Hwee Kwan Chow, 2007. "Asian Currency Baskets : An Answer in Search of a Question?," Finance Working Papers 22055, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Kim, Bong-Han & Kim, Hyeongwoo & Min, Hong-Ghi, 2013.
"Reassessing the link between the Japanese yen and emerging Asian currencies,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 33(C), pages 306-326.
- Bong-Han Kim & Hyeongwoo Kim & Hong-Ghi Min, 2011. "Reassessing the Link between the Japanese Yen and Emerging Asian Currencies," Auburn Economics Working Paper Series auwp2011-05, Department of Economics, Auburn University.
- Ogawa, Eiji & Shimizu, Junko, 2006. "Stabilization of effective exchange rates under common currency basket systems," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 590-611, December.
- Busse, Matthias & Hefeker, Carsten & Koopmann, Georg, 2006. "Between two poles: A dual currency board for Mercosur," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 349-362, December.
- Samuel GUERINEAU & Michaël GOUJON, 2005. "Mofication of Chinese Exchange rate policy: Rationale, extent and recent development," Working Papers 200523, CERDI.
- Eiji Ogawa & Junko Shimizu, 2006. "Stabilization of Effective Exchange Rates Under Common Currency Basket Systems," NBER Working Papers 12198, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- OGAWA Eiji & SHIMIZU Junko, 2007. "Progress toward a Common Currency Basket System in East Asia," Discussion papers 07002, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peterson Institute webmaster).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.