Partnership in Open Innovation
AbstractThis paper aims at assessing the importance of the initial technological endowments when firms decide to create R&D agreements. We study a Bertrand duopoly where firms evaluate the returns of an agreement according to its length. A learning process allows us to depict a close connection between firms' technology and the possibility to achieve a positive outcome from creating an agreement. Moreover, as far as learning is modeled as an iterative process, a suitable set of initial conditions is the basic factor leading to successful ventures.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Barcelona Graduate School of Economics in its series Working Papers with number 101.
Date of creation: Oct 2003
Date of revision:
Firm agreements; Learning; Open Innovation;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D21 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Firm Behavior: Theory
- D43 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - Oligopoly and Other Forms of Market Imperfection
- L1 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chipman, John S, 1970. "External Economies of Scale and Competitive Equilibrium," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 84(3), pages 347-85, August.
- Edward E. Leamer & Michael Storper, 2001.
"The Economic Geography of the Internet Age,"
NBER Working Papers
8450, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Aghion, Philippe & Dewatripont, Mathias & Rey, Patrick, 2002.
"On partial contracting,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 46(4-5), pages 745-753, May.
- Hagedoorn, John & van Kranenburg, Hans, 2003. "Growth patterns in R&D partnerships: an exploratory statistical study," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 21(4), pages 517-531, April.
- Link, Albert N. & Scott, John T., 2001. "Public/private partnerships: stimulating competition in a dynamic market," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 19(5), pages 763-794, April.
- Narula, Rajneesh & Hagedoorn, John, 1999.
"Innovating through strategic alliances: moving towards international partnerships and contractual agreements,"
Open Access publications from Maastricht University
urn:nbn:nl:ui:27-4301, Maastricht University.
- Narula,Rajneesh & Hagedoorn,John, 1998. "Innovating through strategic alliances: moving towards international partnerships and contractual agreements," Research Memoranda 025, Maastricht : MERIT, Maastricht Economic Research Institute on Innovation and Technology.
- John Hagedoorn & Rajneesh Narula, . "Innovating through strategic alliances: moving towards international partnerships and contractual agreements," STEP Report series 199805, The STEP Group, Studies in technology, innovation and economic policy.
- Jeroen Hinloopen, 1997. "Subsidizing cooperative and noncooperative R&D in duopoly with spillovers," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 66(2), pages 151-175, June.
- Rui Baptista, 1999. "The Diffusion of Process Innovations: A Selective Review," International Journal of the Economics of Business, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 6(1), pages 107-129.
- Perez-Castrillo, J. David & Sandonis, Joel, 1997. "Disclosure of know-how in research joint ventures," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 51-75, February.
- Bureth, Antoine & Wolff, Sandrine & Zanfei, Antonello, 1997. "The two faces of learning by cooperating: The evolution and stability of inter-firm agreements in the European electronics industry," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 519-537, April.
- Veugelers, Reinhilde & Kesteloot, Katrien, 1994. "On the design of stable joint ventures," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 38(9), pages 1799-1815, December.
- Hagedoorn, John, 2002. "Inter-firm R&D partnerships: an overview of major trends and patterns since 1960," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(4), pages 477-492, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bruno Guallar).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.