Liquidity and Announcement Effects in the Euro Area
AbstractThe paper analyzes the euro-area interbank market. The martingale hypothesis for the Eonia, the reference overnight interest rate, is tested and rejected. Such rejection is a sufficient condition for a liquidity effect, which is then estimated. The magnitude of the effect is found to depend on the perceived degree of persistence of the liquidity shock. At the beginning of the reserve maintenance period a liquidity drain amounting to 3 per cent of required reserves raises the Eonia by 4 basis points, by 13-15 points, by 25 points or more (up to the limits of the official rate corridor, i.e. roughly Â± 100 basis points), depending on whether it is expected to be purely temporary, to last at least through the following day or through the rest of the holding period. Non-purely-temporary effects may take place when the liquidity shock has some signaling value for the monetary policy stance; however, little if any evidence of shocks of this kind is found. The liquidity effect is read off the slope of a euro-area-wide demand equation for daily reserves which incorporates the current as well as the expected overnight rate among the regressors. The two elasticities are very similar in absolute value and have opposite signs; this is consistent with the announcement effect, the ability by the central bank to influence the current rate without resorting to open market operations. The area-wide demand curve is retrieved by estimating separate relationships for each of the 11 euro-area national banking systems. Some heterogeneity across the different countries is detected. In particular, in some cases the demand for reserves turns out to be interest rate-inelastic over the holding period, suggesting that there is room for further efficiency improvements.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area in its series Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) with number 451.
Date of creation: Oct 2002
Date of revision:
liquidity effect; announcement effect; overnight; martingale; interbank market;
Other versions of this item:
- Paolo Angelini, 2008. "Liquidity And Announcement Effects In The Euro Area," Giornale degli Economisti, GDE (Giornale degli Economisti e Annali di Economia), Bocconi University, vol. 67(1), pages 1-20, March.
- E52 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Monetary Policy
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gabriel Pérez Quirós & Hugo Rodríguez, 2000.
"The daily market for funds in Europe: Has something changed with the EMU?,"
Economics Working Papers
474, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Quiro, G.P. & Mendizabal, H.R., 2001. "The Daily Market for Funds in Europe: Has Something Changed with the EMU," Papers 67, Quebec a Montreal - Recherche en gestion.
- Pérez Quirós, Gabriel & Rodríguez Mendizábal, Hugo, 2001. "The daily market for funds in Europe: Has something changed with the EMU?," Working Paper Series 0067, European Central Bank.
- Rudebusch, Glenn D., 1995.
"Federal Reserve interest rate targeting, rational expectations, and the term structure,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 245-274, April.
- Glenn D. Rudebusch, 1995. "Federal Reserve interest rate targeting, rational expectations, and the term structure," Working Papers in Applied Economic Theory 95-02, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Gaspar, Vitor & Perez-Quiros, Gabriel & Sicilia, Jorge, 2001.
"The ECB Monetary Policy Strategy and the Money Market,"
International Journal of Finance & Economics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 6(4), pages 325-42, October.
- Vítor Gaspar & Gabriel Perez-Quiros & Jorge Sicilia, 2001. "The ECB monetary policy strategy and the money market," Working Papers 47, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank).
- Gaspar, Vítor & Pérez Quirós, Gabriel & Sicilia, Jorge, 2001. "The ECB monetary policy strategy and the money market," Working Paper Series 0069, European Central Bank.
- Oscar Jorda & Selva Demiralp & Holly Liu & Jeffrey Williams, 2003.
"The Announcement Effect: Evidence from Open Market Desk Data,"
14, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- Selva Demiralp & Òscar Jordà, 2002. "The announcement effect: evidence from open market desk data," Economic Policy Review, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue May, pages 29-48.
- Selva Demiralp & Oscar Jorda, . "The Announcement Effect: Evidence from Open Market Desk Data," Department of Economics 01-04, California Davis - Department of Economics.
- Simon Gilchrist, 2001. "Identifying the liquidity effect at the daily frequency (commentary)," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Jul, pages 59-82.
- Christian Gilles & Pamela A. Labadie & Wilbur John Coleman II., 1996.
"A model of the federal funds market,"
Springer, vol. 7(2), pages 337-357.
- Demiralp, Selva & Jorda, Oscar, 2004. "The Response of Term Rates to Fed Announcements," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 36(3), pages 387-405, June.
- Iori, Giulia & De Masi, Giulia & Precup, Ovidiu Vasile & Gabbi, Giampaolo & Caldarelli, Guido, 2008.
"A network analysis of the Italian overnight money market,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 259-278, January.
- Iori, G. & Masi, G. D. & Precup, O. V. & Gabbi, G. & Caldarelli, G., 2005. "A network analysis of the Italian oversight money market," Working Papers 05/05, Department of Economics, City University London.
- Benjamin Friedman & Kenneth Kuttner, 2010.
"Implementation of Monetary Policy: How Do Central Banks Set Interest Rates?,"
Department of Economics Working Papers
2010-03, Department of Economics, Williams College.
- Friedman, Benjamin M. & Kuttner, Kenneth N., 2010. "Implementation of Monetary Policy: How Do Central Banks Set Interest Rates?," Handbook of Monetary Economics, in: Benjamin M. Friedman & Michael Woodford (ed.), Handbook of Monetary Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 24, pages 1345-1438 Elsevier.
- Benjamin M. Friedman & Kenneth N. Kuttner, 2010. "Implementation of Monetary Policy: How Do Central Banks Set Interest Rates?," NBER Working Papers 16165, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Leonardo Bartolini & Alessandro Prati, 2003.
"The execution of monetary policy: a tale of two central banks,"
165, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Leonardo Bartolini & Alessandro Prati, 2003. "The execution of monetary policy: a tale of two central banks," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 18(37), pages 435-467, October.
- Jens Tapking, 2004.
"Multiple equilibrium overnight rates in a dynamic interbank market game,"
- Tapking, Jens, 2006. "Multiple equilibrium overnight rates in a dynamic interbank market game," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 56(2), pages 350-370, August.
- Jens Tapking, 2004. "Multiple equilibrium overnight rates in a dynamic interbank market game," Finance 0409018, EconWPA.
- Tapking, Jens, 2003. "Multiple equilibrium overnight rates in a dynamic interbank market game," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 2003,04, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- JÃ©rÃ´me Vandenbussche & Stanley Watt & Szabolcs Blazsek, 2009. "The Liquidity and Liquidity Distribution Effects in Emerging Markets," IMF Working Papers 09/228, International Monetary Fund.
- Gianfranco A. Vento, 2004. "The Eurosystem operational framework, use of colleteral and liquidity distribution in the euro area: towards a single interbank market?," Banca Nazionale del Lavoro Quarterly Review, Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, vol. 57(228), pages 71-100.
- Giuseppe Bruno & Ernesto Maurizio Ordine & Antonio Scalia, 2005. "BanksÂ’ participation in the Eurosystem auctions and money market integration," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 562, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Gianfranco A. Vento, 2004. "The Eurosystem operational framework, use of colleteral and liquidity distribution in the euro area: towards a single interbank market?," BNL Quarterly Review, Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, vol. 57(228), pages 71-100.
- Bindseil, Ulrich & Nyborg, Kjell G., 2007. "Monetary policy implementation: A European Perspective," Discussion Papers 2007/10, Department of Business and Management Science, Norwegian School of Economics.
- Livio Stracca & Clara Martin Moss & Livio Stracca, 2004. "Demand and supply in the ECB's main refinancing operations," Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2003 94, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- Stracca, Livio & Ejerskov, Steen & Martin Moss, Clara, 2003. "How does the ECB allot liquidity in its weekly main refinancing operations? A look at the empirical evidence," Working Paper Series 0244, European Central Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.