Economic Evaluation of Energy Efficiency Labelling in Domestic Appliances: the Spanish Market
AbstractThis paper estimates the economic value that consumers place on energy efficiency (EE) labels for appliances in the Spanish market. It uses the hedonic method to calculate the price premium paid in the market for that attribute isolated from others. Furthermore, the Quantity Based Demand System (QBDS) is applied to calculate the own and cross price elasticities of demand for both EE appliances and others. These elasticities are useful for improving the design of policies to promote EE. The paper looks at three different appliances marketed in Spain during 2012: washing machines, fridges and dishwashers.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by BC3 in its series Working Papers with number 2013-08.
Date of creation: Mar 2013
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.bc3research.org/
energy efficiency; Spain; labels; appliances;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-03-30 (All new papers)
- NEP-ENE-2013-03-30 (Energy Economics)
- NEP-EUR-2013-03-30 (Microeconomic European Issues)
- NEP-REG-2013-03-30 (Regulation)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Deaton, Angus S & Muellbauer, John, 1980. "An Almost Ideal Demand System," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(3), pages 312-26, June.
- Mills, Bradford F. & Schleich, Joachim, 2009.
"What's driving energy efficient appliance label awareness and purchase propensity?,"
Working Papers "Sustainability and Innovation"
S1/2009, Fraunhofer Institute for Systems and Innovation Research (ISI).
- Mills, Bradford & Schleich, Joachim, 2010. "What's driving energy efficient appliance label awareness and purchase propensity?," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 814-825, February.
- Galarraga, Ibon & González-Eguino, Mikel & Markandya, Anil, 2011. "Willingness to pay and price elasticities of demand for energy-efficient appliances: Combining the hedonic approach and demand systems," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(S1), pages S66-S74.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sergio Faria).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.