What's driving energy efficient appliance label awareness and purchase propensity?
AbstractThe EU appliance energy consumption labeling scheme is a key component of efforts to increase the diffusion of energy-efficient household appliances. In this paper, the determinants of consumer knowledge of the energy label for house-hold appliances and the choice of class-A energy-efficient appliances are jointly estimated using data from a large survey of more than 20,000 German house-holds. The results for five major appliances suggest that lack of knowledge of the energy label can generate considerable bias in both estimates of rates of uptake of class-A appliances and in estimates of the underlying determinants of choice of class-A appliance. Simulations of the choice to purchase a class-A appliance, given knowledge of the labeling framework, reveal that residence characteristics and, in several cases, regional electricity prices strongly increase the propensity to purchase a class-A appliance, but socio-economic characteristics have surprisingly little impact on appliance energy-class choice. --
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Fraunhofer Institute for Systems and Innovation Research (ISI) in its series Working Papers "Sustainability and Innovation" with number S1/2009.
Date of creation: 2009
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- Mills, Bradford & Schleich, Joachim, 2010. "What's driving energy efficient appliance label awareness and purchase propensity?," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 814-825, February.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Truffer, Bernhard & Markard, Jochen & Wustenhagen, Rolf, 2001. "Eco-labeling of electricity--strategies and tradeoffs in the definition of environmental standards," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 29(11), pages 885-897, September.
- Schiellerup, P., 2002. "An examination of the effectiveness of the EU minimum standard on cold appliances: the British case," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 327-332, March.
- Richard G. Newell & Adam B. Jaffe & Robert N. Stavins, 1999.
"The Induced Innovation Hypothesis And Energy-Saving Technological Change,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 114(3), pages 941-975, August.
- Stavins, Robert & Jaffe, Adam & Newell, Richard, 1998. "The Induced Innovation Hypothesis and Energy-Saving Technological Change," Discussion Papers dp-98-12-rev, Resources For the Future.
- Richard G. Newell & Adam B. Jaffe & Robert N. Stavins, 1998. "The Induced Innovation Hypothesis and Energy-Saving Technological Change," NBER Working Papers 6437, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Vanessa Brechling & Stephen Smith, 1994. "Household energy efficiency in the UK," Fiscal Studies, Institute for Fiscal Studies, vol. 15(2), pages 44-56, May.
- Schultz, Theodore W, 1975. "The Value of the Ability to Deal with Disequilibria," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 13(3), pages 827-46, September.
- B. Howarth, Richard & Haddad, Brent M. & Paton, Bruce, 2000. "The economics of energy efficiency: insights from voluntary participation programs," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 28(6-7), pages 477-486, June.
- Mills, Bradford F. & Schleich, Joachim, 2010.
"Why don't households see the light?: Explaining the diffusion of compact fluorescent lamps,"
Resource and Energy Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 363-378, August.
- Mills, Bradford F. & Schleich, Joachim, 2008. "Why don't households see the light? Explaining the diffusion of compact fluorescent lamps," Working Papers "Sustainability and Innovation" S1/2008, Fraunhofer Institute for Systems and Innovation Research (ISI).
- Banerjee, Abhijit & Solomon, Barry D., 2003. "Eco-labeling for energy efficiency and sustainability: a meta-evaluation of US programs," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 109-123, January.
- James J. Heckman, 1976. "The Common Structure of Statistical Models of Truncation, Sample Selection and Limited Dependent Variables and a Simple Estimator for Such Models," NBER Chapters, in: Annals of Economic and Social Measurement, Volume 5, number 4, pages 475-492 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Adam B. Jaffe & Robert N. Stavins, 1994. "Energy-Efficiency Investments and Public Policy," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 2), pages 43-66.
- Benno Torgler & MarÃa A.GarcÃa-ValiÃ±as & Alison Macintyre, 2007.
"Differences in Preferences Towards the Environment: The Impact of a Gender, Age and Parental Effect,"
CREMA Working Paper Series
2008-01, Center for Research in Economics, Management and the Arts (CREMA).
- Benno Torgler & María A. García Valiñas & Alison Macintyre, 2008. "Differences in Preferences Towards the Environment: The Impact of a Gender, Age and Parental Effect," Working Papers 2008.18, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Benno Torgler & María A.García-Valiñas & Alison Macintyre, 2008. "Differences in Preferences Towards the Environment: The Impact of a Gender, Age and Parental Effect," School of Economics and Finance Discussion Papers and Working Papers Series 227, School of Economics and Finance, Queensland University of Technology.
- Walsh, Michael J., 1989. "Energy tax credits and housing improvement," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 275-284, October.
- Gilg, Andrew & Barr, Stewart, 2006. "Behavioural attitudes towards water saving? Evidence from a study of environmental actions," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(3), pages 400-414, May.
- Van de Ven, Wynand P. M. M. & Van Praag, Bernard M. S., 1981. "The demand for deductibles in private health insurance : A probit model with sample selection," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 229-252, November.
- Sutherland, Ronald J, 1996. "The economics of energy conservation policy," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 361-370, April.
- Barr, Stewart & Gilg, Andrew W & Ford, Nicholas, 2005. "The household energy gap: examining the divide between habitual- and purchase-related conservation behaviours," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(11), pages 1425-1444, July.
- Sardianou, Eleni, 2007. "Estimating energy conservation patterns of Greek households," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(7), pages 3778-3791, July.
- Weber, Christoph & Perrels, Adriaan, 2000. "Modelling lifestyle effects on energy demand and related emissions," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 28(8), pages 549-566, July.
- Mark Aguiar & Erik Hurst, 2005.
"Lifecycle Prices and Production,"
NBER Working Papers
11601, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ronald J. Sutherland, 1991. "Market Barriers to Energy-Efficiency Investments," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 3), pages 15-34.
- Kahn, Matthew E., 2007. "Do greens drive Hummers or hybrids? Environmental ideology as a determinant of consumer choice," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 54(2), pages 129-145, September.
- Scott, S., 1997. "Household energy efficiency in Ireland: A replication study of ownership of energy saving items," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 187-208, May.
- Faure, Corinne & Schleich, Joachim & Schlomann, Barbara, 2013. "Retailer compliance with energy label regulations," Working Papers "Sustainability and Innovation" S10/2013, Fraunhofer Institute for Systems and Innovation Research (ISI).
- Ibon Galarraga & David Heres Del Valle & Mikel González-Eguino, 2011. "Price Premium for High-Efficiency Refrigerators and Calculation of Price-Elasticities for Close-Substitutes: Combining Hedonic Pricing and Demand Systems," Working Papers 2011-07, BC3.
- Ibon Galarraga & Josu Lucas, 2013. "Economic Evaluation of Energy Efficiency Labelling in Domestic Appliances: the Spanish Market," Working Papers 2013-08, BC3.
- Mills, Bradford & Schleich, Joachim, 2012.
"Residential energy-efficient technology adoption, energy conservation, knowledge, and attitudes: An analysis of European countries,"
Elsevier, vol. 49(C), pages 616-628.
- Bradford Mills & Joachim Schleich, 2012. "Residential Energy-Efficient Technology Adoption, Energy Conservation, Knowledge, and Attitudes: An Analysis of European Countries," Grenoble Ecole de Management (Post-Print) hal-00805711, HAL.
- Carsten Lynge Jensen & Lars Gårn Hansen & Troels Fjordbak & Erik Gudbjerg, 2011. "The effect of providing free autopoweroff plugs to households on electricity consumption - A field experiment," IFRO Working Paper 2011/10, University of Copenhagen, Department of Food and Resource Economics.
- Bosman, M.G.C. & Bakker, V. & Molderink, A. & Hurink, J.L. & Smit, G.J.M., 2012. "Planning the production of a fleet of domestic combined heat and power generators," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 216(1), pages 140-151.
- Kusaka, Wakana & Kojima, Michikazu & Watanabe, Mariko, 2012. "Environmental consciousness, economic gain and consumer choice of energy efficient appliances in Thailand, China and India," IDE Discussion Papers 345, Institute of Developing Economies, Japan External Trade Organization(JETRO).
- Panzone, Luca A., 2013. "Saving money vs investing money: Do energy ratings influence consumer demand for energy efficient goods?," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(C), pages 51-63.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.