Price Premium for High-Efficiency Refrigerators and Calculation of Price-Elasticities for Close-Substitutes: Combining Hedonic Pricing and Demand Systems
AbstractThis article uses the hedonic pricing method to estimate the price premium paid for the highest energy-efficiency label (A+) in the refrigerators market of the Basque Autonomous Community (Spain). The estimated figure is 8.9% of the final price or about 60 euro, which represents one third of the energy savings that a consumer gets during the lifetime of a refrigerator with the highest energy-efficiency label. This figure is then combined with the linear version of the Almost Ideal Demand System (LA/AIDS) to obtain own and cross-price elasticities of demand. The information presented here is useful for policy design and analysis. The results indicate that the demand for refrigerators with the highest energy-efficiency label is highly sensitive to price variations.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by BC3 in its series Working Papers with number 2011-07.
Date of creation: Aug 2011
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.bc3research.org/
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2011-09-16 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2011-09-16 (All new papers)
- NEP-ENE-2011-09-16 (Energy Economics)
- NEP-MKT-2011-09-16 (Marketing)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mills, Bradford & Schleich, Joachim, 2010.
"What's driving energy efficient appliance label awareness and purchase propensity?,"
Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 814-825, February.
- Mills, Bradford F. & Schleich, Joachim, 2009. "What's driving energy efficient appliance label awareness and purchase propensity?," Working Papers "Sustainability and Innovation" S1/2009, Fraunhofer Institute for Systems and Innovation Research (ISI).
- Markandya, Anil & Ortiz, Ramon Arigoni & Mudgal, Shailendra & Tinetti, Benoit, 2009. "Analysis of tax incentives for energy-efficient durables in the EU," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(12), pages 5662-5674, December.
- Oczkowski, Edward A., 1993.
"A Hedonic Price Function for Australian Premium Table Wine,"
1993 Conference (37th), February 9-11, 1993, Sydney, Australia
147769, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Oczkowski, Edward A., 1994. "A Hedonic Price Function For Australian Premium Table Wine," Australian Journal of Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 38(01), April.
- Edward Oczkowski, 1994. "A Hedonic Price Function For Australian Premium Table Wine," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 38(1), pages 93-110, 04.
- Stavins, Joanna, 1997. "Estimating demand elasticities in a differentiated product industry: The personal computer market," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 49(4), pages 347-367.
- Galarraga, Ibon & Markandya, Anil, 2004. "Economic techniques to estimate the demand for sustainable products: a case study for fair trade and organic coffee in the United Kingdom," Economia Agraria y Recursos Naturales, Spanish Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 4(07).
- Oczkowski, Edward, 2001. "Hedonic Wine Price Functions and Measurement Error," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 77(239), pages 374-82, December.
- Nerlove, Marc, 1995. "Hedonic price functions and the measurement of preferences: The case of Swedish wine consumers," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 39(9), pages 1697-1716, December.
- Ibon Galarraga & Anil Markandya, 2003. "The analysis of welfare effects of an environmental product tax: an application to the taxation of car tyres in Hungary," Fiscal Studies, Institute for Fiscal Studies, vol. 24(1), pages 97-114, March.
- Coad, Alex & de Haan, Peter & Woersdorfer, Julia Sophie, 2009.
"Consumer support for environmental policies: An application to purchases of green cars,"
Elsevier, vol. 68(7), pages 2078-2086, May.
- Alex Coad & Peter de Haan & Julia Sophie Woersdorfer, 2008. "Consumer support for environmental policies: An application to purchases of green cars," Jena Economic Research Papers 2008-035, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena, Max-Planck-Institute of Economics.
- Xavier Labandeira & Pedro Linares, 2010.
"Energy efficiency: Economics and Policy,"
05-2010, Economics for Energy.
- Bordley, Robert F, 1993. "Estimating Automotive Elasticities from Segment Elasticities and First Choice/Second Choice Data," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 75(3), pages 455-62, August.
- Moschini, GianCarlo, 1995. "Units of Measurement and the 'Stone Index' In Demand System Estimation," Staff General Research Papers 5058, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- J. A. Molina, 1994. "Food Demand In Spain: An Application Of The Almost Ideal System," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 45(2), pages 252-258.
- C. Couton & F. Gardes & Y. Thepaut, 1996. "Hedonic prices for environmental and safety characteristics and the Akerlof effect in the French car market," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 3(7), pages 435-440.
- Anderson, Gordon & Blundell, Richard, 1983. "Testing Restrictions in a Flexible Dynamic Demand System: An Application to Consumers' Expenditure in Canada," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 50(3), pages 397-410, July.
- Panzone, Luca A., 2013. "Saving money vs investing money: Do energy ratings influence consumer demand for energy efficient goods?," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(C), pages 51-63.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sergio Faria).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.