Estimating Exchange Market Pressure and Intervention Activity
AbstractUsing the index proposed by Weymark (1995) for small open economies, the paper computes exchange market pressure and intervention indexes for Chile in the period from 1990 to 1998. This statistics can be used to assess timing and scale of currency crises, as they include exchange rate and reserves variations in one single indicator. The index is suited for intermediate exchange rate policies, since it gives due consideration to the possibility of accommodating exchange market pressures through changes in domestic credit. The monetarist model developed suggests low effectiveness of controls in affecting the exchange rate level, when the interest rate-elasticity of money demand is low. Substantial appreciative pressure on the Chilean peso is found over the period, with exception of isolated quarters following the introduction of the reserve requirement and following the outset of the Asian crisis.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department in its series Working Papers Series with number 9.
Date of creation: Nov 2000
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.bcb.gov.br/?english
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Weymark, Diana N, 1998. "A General Approach to Measuring Exchange Market Pressure," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 50(1), pages 106-21, January.
- Montiel, Peter & Reinhart, Carmen M., 1999. "Do capital controls and macroeconomic policies influence the volume and composition of capital flows? Evidence from the 1990s," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 619-635, August.
- Weymark, Diana N, 1997. "Measuring the degree of exchange market intervention in a small open economy," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 55-79, February.
- Maurice Obstfeld & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 1996. "Foundations of International Macroeconomics," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262150476, December.
- Weymark, Diana N., 1995. "Estimating exchange market pressure and the degree of exchange market intervention for Canada," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(3-4), pages 273-295, November.
This item has more than 25 citations. To prevent cluttering this page, these citations are listed on a separate page. reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Francisco Marcos Rodrigues Figueiredo).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.