A Simple Test of Simple Rules: Can They Improve How Monetary Policy is Implemented with Inflation Targets?
AbstractThe authors evaluate whether an assortment of simple rules could improve how the Bank of Canada implements its inflation-targeting monetary policy. They focus on measuring the correlation between the deviations of inflation from the target and the lagged deviations of rule recommendations from the actual policy interest rate. This empirical procedure evaluates the rules in a model-free environment and uses historical data over the Bank’s inflation-targeting regime. The authors find that the Bank would not improve its policy of targeting inflation by paying more attention to the advice provided by these rules.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Bank of Canada in its series Working Papers with number 03-31.
Length: 26 pages
Date of creation: 2003
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 234 Wellington Street, Ottawa, Ontario, K1A 0G9, Canada
Phone: 613 782-8845
Fax: 613 782-8874
Web page: http://www.bank-banque-canada.ca/
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E5 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andrew Levin & Volker Wieland & John C. Williams, 1998.
"Robustness of simple monetary policy rules under model uncertainty,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
1998-45, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Andrew T.. Levin & Volker Wieland & John Williams, 1999. "Robustness of Simple Monetary Policy Rules under Model Uncertainty," NBER Chapters, in: Monetary Policy Rules, pages 263-318 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrew Levin & Volker Wieland & John C. Williams, 1998. "Robustness of Simple Monetary Policy Rules under Model Uncertainty," NBER Working Papers 6570, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Denise Côté & John Kuszczak & Jean-Paul Lam & Ying Liu & Pierre St-Amant, 2004.
"The performance and robustness of simple monetary policy rules in models of the Canadian economy,"
Canadian Journal of Economics,
Canadian Economics Association, vol. 37(4), pages 978-998, November.
- Denise Côté & John Kuszczak & Jean-Paul Lam & Ying Liu & Pierre St-Amant, 2002. "The Performance and Robustness of Simple Monetary Policy Rules in Models of the Canadian Economy," Technical Reports 92, Bank of Canada.
- Laurence M. Ball, 1999.
"Policy Rules for Open Economies,"
in: Monetary Policy Rules, pages 127-156
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ann-Charlotte Eliasson & Peter Isard & Douglas Laxton, 1999.
"Simple Monetary Policy Rules Under Model Uncertainty,"
IMF Working Papers
99/75, International Monetary Fund.
- Peter Isard & Douglas Laxton & Ann-Charlotte Eliasson, 1999. "Simple Monetary Policy Rules Under Model Uncertainty," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 6(4), pages 537-577, November.
- Peter Isard & Douglas Laxton & Ann-Charlotte Eliasson, 1999. "Simple Monetary Policy Rules Under Model Uncertainty," Computing in Economics and Finance 1999 841, Society for Computational Economics.
- Jamie Armour & Ben Fung & Dinah Maclean, 2002. "Taylor Rules in the Quarterly Projection Model," Working Papers 02-1, Bank of Canada.
- Nicholas Rowe, 2002. "How to Improve Inflation Targeting at the Bank of Canada," Working Papers 02-23, Bank of Canada.
- Stephen Murchison, . "NAOMI A New Quarterly Forecasting Model Part II: A Guide to Canadian NAOMI," Working Papers-Department of Finance Canada 2001-25, Department of Finance Canada.
- Maral Kichian, 2001. "On the Nature and the Stability of the Canadian Phillips Curve," Working Papers 01-4, Bank of Canada.
- Tiff Macklem, 2002. "Information and Analysis for Monetary Policy: Coming to a Decision," Bank of Canada Review, Bank of Canada, vol. 2002(Summer), pages 11-18.
- Andrés Felipe Giraldo palomino, 2007.
"Aversión a la inflación y regla de Taylor en Colombia 1994-2005,"
DOCUMENTOS DE ECONOMÃA
003947, UNIVERSIDAD JAVERIANA - BOGOTÁ.
- Andrés Felipe Giraldo Palomino, 2008. "Aversión a la inflación y regla de Taylor en Colombia 1994-2005," REVISTA CUADERNOS DE ECONOMÍA, UN - RCE - CID.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.