On Multivariate Extensions of Value-at-Risk
AbstractIn this paper, we introduce two alternative extensions of the classical univariate Value-at-Risk (VaR) in a multivariate setting. The two proposed multivariate VaR are vector-valued measures with the same dimension as the underlying risk portfolio. The lower-orthant VaR is constructed from level sets of multivariate distribution functions whereas the upper-orthant VaR is constructed from level sets of multivariate survival functions. Several properties have been derived. In particular, we show that these risk measures both satisfy the positive homogeneity and the translation invariance property. Comparison between univariate risk measures and components of multivariate VaR are provided. We also analyze how these measures are impacted by a change in marginal distributions, by a change in dependence structure and by a change in risk level. Illustrations are given in the class of Archimedean copulas.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by arXiv.org in its series Papers with number 1111.1349.
Date of creation: Nov 2011
Date of revision: Apr 2013
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://arxiv.org/
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-11-14 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Imen Bentahar, 2006. "Tail Conditional Expectation for vector-valued Risks," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2006-029, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Barbe, Philippe & Genest, Christian & Ghoudi, Kilani & Rémillard, Bruno, 1996. "On Kendall's Process," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 58(2), pages 197-229, August.
- Christian Genest & Jean-François Quessy & Bruno Rémillard, 2006. "Goodness-of-fit Procedures for Copula Models Based on the Probability Integral Transformation," Scandinavian Journal of Statistics, Danish Society for Theoretical Statistics & Finnish Statistical Society & Norwegian Statistical Association & Swedish Statistical Association, vol. 33(2), pages 337-366.
- Genest, Christian & Rivest, Louis-Paul, 2001. "On the multivariate probability integral transformation," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 53(4), pages 391-399, July.
- Mathieu Bargès & Hélène Cossette & Etienne Marceau, 2009. "TVaR-based capital allocation with copulas," Working Papers hal-00431265, HAL.
- Celine Gauthier & Alfred Lehar & Moez Souissi, 2010. "Macroprudential Regulation and Systemic Capital Requirements," Working Papers 10-4, Bank of Canada.
- Elyès Jouini & Moncef Meddeb & Nizar Touzi, 2004.
"Vector-valued Coherent Risk Measures,"
UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers)
- Embrechts, Paul & Puccetti, Giovanni, 2006. "Bounds for functions of multivariate risks," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 97(2), pages 526-547, February.
- Philippe Artzner & Freddy Delbaen & Jean-Marc Eber & David Heath, 1999. "Coherent Measures of Risk," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(3), pages 203-228.
- Belzunce, F. & Castano, A. & Olvera-Cervantes, A. & Suarez-Llorens, A., 2007. "Quantile curves and dependence structure for bivariate distributions," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 51(10), pages 5112-5129, June.
- Dirk Tasche, 2007. "Capital Allocation to Business Units and Sub-Portfolios: the Euler Principle," Papers 0708.2542, arXiv.org, revised Jun 2008.
- Bargès, Mathieu & Cossette, Hélène & Marceau, Étienne, 2009. "TVaR-based capital allocation with copulas," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(3), pages 348-361, December.
- Masse, J. C. & Theodorescu, R., 1994. "Halfplane Trimming for Bivariate Distributions," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 48(2), pages 188-202, February.
- Robert Serfling, 2002. "Quantile functions for multivariate analysis: approaches and applications," Statistica Neerlandica, Netherlands Society for Statistics and Operations Research, vol. 56(2), pages 214-232.
- Touzi, Nizar & Meddeb, Moncef & Jouini, Elyès, 2004. "Vector-valued Coherent Risk Measures," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/353, Paris Dauphine University.
- Wei, Gang & Hu, Taizhong, 2002. "Supermodular dependence ordering on a class of multivariate copulas," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 57(4), pages 375-385, May.
- Elena Di Bernardino & Didier Rullière, 2012. "Distortions of multivariate risk measures: a level-sets based approach," Working Papers hal-00756387, HAL.
- Areski Cousin & Elena Di Bernardinoy, 2013. "On Multivariate Extensions of Conditional-Tail-Expectation," Working Papers hal-00877386, HAL.
- repec:hal:wpaper:hal-00750873 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (arXiv administrators).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.