TVaR-based capital allocation with copulas
AbstractBecause of regulation projects from control organizations such as the European solvency II reform and recent economic events, insurance companies need to consolidate their capital reserve with coherent amounts allocated to the whole company and to each line of business. The present study considers an insurance portfolio consisting of several lines of risk which are linked by a copula and aims to evaluate not only the capital allocation for the overall portfolio but also the contribution of each risk over their aggregation. We use the tail value at risk (TVaR) as risk measure. The handy form of the FGM copula permits an exact expression for the TVaR of the sum of the risks and for the TVaR-based allocations when claim amounts are exponentially distributed and distributed as a mixture of exponentials. We first examine the bivariate model and then the multivariate case. We also show how to approximate the TVaR of the aggregate risk and the contribution of each risk when using any copula.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by HAL in its series Working Papers with number hal-00431265.
Date of creation: 2009
Date of revision:
Note: View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00431265/en/
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Carlo Acerbi & Claudio Nordio & Carlo Sirtori, 2001. "Expected Shortfall as a Tool for Financial Risk Management," Papers cond-mat/0102304, arXiv.org.
- Yeo, Keng Leong & Valdez, Emiliano A., 2006. "Claim dependence with common effects in credibility models," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 609-629, June.
- Bauerle, Nicole & Muller, Alfred, 2006. "Stochastic orders and risk measures: Consistency and bounds," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 132-148, February.
- Hayette Gatfaoui, 2003. "How Does Systematic Risk Impact US Credit Spreads? A Copula Study," Risk and Insurance 0308002, EconWPA.
- Philippe Artzner & Freddy Delbaen & Jean-Marc Eber & David Heath, 1999. "Coherent Measures of Risk," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(3), pages 203-228.
- Dhaene, J. & Henrard, L. & Landsman, Z. & Vandendorpe, A. & Vanduffel, S., 2008. "Some results on the CTE-based capital allocation rule," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(2), pages 855-863, April.
- Acerbi, Carlo & Tasche, Dirk, 2002.
"On the coherence of expected shortfall,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 26(7), pages 1487-1503, July.
- Furman, Edward & Landsman, Zinoviy, 2005. "Risk capital decomposition for a multivariate dependent gamma portfolio," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 635-649, December.
- Søren Asmussen, 2000. "Matrix-analytic Models and their Analysis," Scandinavian Journal of Statistics, Danish Society for Theoretical Statistics & Finnish Statistical Society & Norwegian Statistical Association & Swedish Statistical Association, vol. 27(2), pages 193-226.
- Willmot, Gordon E. & Woo, Jae-Kyung, 2012. "On the analysis of a general class of dependent risk processes," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 51(1), pages 134-141.
- Cossette, Hélène & Côté, Marie-Pier & Marceau, Etienne & Moutanabbir, Khouzeima, 2013. "Multivariate distribution defined with Farlie–Gumbel–Morgenstern copula and mixed Erlang marginals: Aggregation and capital allocation," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(3), pages 560-572.
- Guillén, Montserrat & Sarabia, José María & Prieto, Faustino, 2013. "Simple risk measure calculations for sums of positive random variables," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(1), pages 273-280.
- Areski Cousin & Elena Di Bernadino, 2011. "On Multivariate Extensions of Value-at-Risk," Papers 1111.1349, arXiv.org, revised Apr 2013.
- Areski Cousin & Elena Di Bernardinoy, 2013. "On Multivariate Extensions of Conditional-Tail-Expectation," Working Papers hal-00877386, HAL.
- Areski Cousin & Elena Di Bernadino, 2013. "On Multivariate Extensions of Value-at-Risk," Working Papers hal-00638382, HAL.
- Cossette, Hélène & Landriault, David & Marceau, Etienne & Moutanabbir, Khouzeima, 2012. "Analysis of the discounted sum of ascending ladder heights," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 51(2), pages 393-401.
- Cossette, Hélène & Mailhot, Mélina & Marceau, Étienne, 2012. "TVaR-based capital allocation for multivariate compound distributions with positive continuous claim amounts," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 247-256.
- Gijbels, Irène & Sznajder, Dominik, 2013. "Testing tail monotonicity by constrained copula estimation," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(2), pages 338-351.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.