Expected Shortfall as a Tool for Financial Risk Management
AbstractWe study the properties of Expected Shortfall from the point of view of financial risk management. This measure --- which emerges as a natural remedy in some cases where Value at Risk (VaR) is not able to distinguish portfolios which bear different levels of risk --- is indeed shown to have much better properties than VaR. We show in fact that unlike VaR this variable is in general subadditive and therefore it is a Coherent Measure of Risk in the sense of reference (artzner)
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by arXiv.org in its series Papers with number cond-mat/0102304.
Date of creation: Feb 2001
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://arxiv.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Mathieu Bargès & Hélène Cossette & Etienne Marceau, 2009. "TVaR-based capital allocation with copulas," Working Papers hal-00431265, HAL.
- Nieto, María Rosa & Ruiz, Esther, .
"Measuring financial risk : comparison of alternative procedures to estimate VaR and ES,"
Open Access publications from Universidad Carlos III de Madrid
info:hdl:10016/3384, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid.
- Maria Rosa Nieto & Esther Ruiz, 2008. "Measuring financial risk : comparison of alternative procedures to estimate VaR and ES," Statistics and Econometrics Working Papers ws087326, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Estadística y Econometría.
- Alexis Bonnet & Isabelle Nagot, 2005. "Methodology of measuring performance in alternative investment," Cahiers de la Maison des Sciences Economiques b05078, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- Carlo Acerbi, 2001. "Risk Aversion and Coherent Risk Measures: a Spectral Representation Theorem," Papers cond-mat/0107190, arXiv.org.
- Tasche, Dirk, 2002.
"Expected shortfall and beyond,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 26(7), pages 1519-1533, July.
- Cossette, Hélène & Mailhot, Mélina & Marceau, Étienne, 2012. "TVaR-based capital allocation for multivariate compound distributions with positive continuous claim amounts," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 247-256.
- Acerbi, Carlo & Tasche, Dirk, 2002.
"On the coherence of expected shortfall,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 26(7), pages 1487-1503, July.
- Acerbi, Carlo, 2002. "Spectral measures of risk: A coherent representation of subjective risk aversion," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(7), pages 1505-1518, July.
- Istvan Varga-Haszonits & Imre Kondor, 2008. "The instability of downside risk measures," Papers 0811.0800, arXiv.org, revised Nov 2008.
- Witt, Rudolf & Waibel, Hermann, 2009. "Lower Partial Moments as a measure of vulnerability to poverty in Cameroon," Diskussionspapiere der Wirtschaftswissenschaftlichen FakultÃ¤t der Leibniz UniversitÃ¤t Hannover dp-434, Leibniz Universität Hannover, Wirtschaftswissenschaftliche Fakultät.
- Karma, Otto & Sander, Priit, 2006. "The impact of financial leverage on risk of equity measured by loss-oriented risk measures: An option pricing approach," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 175(3), pages 1340-1356, December.
- Lan-chih Ho & John Cadle & Michael Theobald, 2011. "An analysis of risk-based asset allocation and portfolio insurance strategies," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, vol. 36(2), pages 247-267, February.
- Sasa Zikovic & Randall Filer, 2009. "Hybrid Historical Simulation VaR and ES: Performance in Developed and Emerging Markets," CESifo Working Paper Series 2820, CESifo Group Munich.
- Yu, Jinping & Yang, Xiaofeng & Li, Shenghong, 2009. "Portfolio optimization with CVaR under VG process," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 107-116, January.
- Inui, Koji & Kijima, Masaaki, 2005. "On the significance of expected shortfall as a coherent risk measure," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 853-864, April.
- Timotheos Angelidis & Stavros Degiannakis, 2007. "Backtesting VaR Models: An Expected Shortfall Approach," Working Papers 0701, University of Crete, Department of Economics.
- Daníelsson, Jón & Jorgensen, Bjørn N. & Samorodnitsky, Gennady & Sarma, Mandira & de Vries, Casper G., 2013. "Fat tails, VaR and subadditivity," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 172(2), pages 283-291.
- Marco Rocco, 2011. "Extreme value theory for finance: a survey," Questioni di Economia e Finanza (Occasional Papers) 99, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Bargès, Mathieu & Cossette, Hélène & Marceau, Étienne, 2009. "TVaR-based capital allocation with copulas," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(3), pages 348-361, December.
- Carlo Acerbi & Dirk Tasche, 2001. "Expected Shortfall: a natural coherent alternative to Value at Risk," Papers cond-mat/0105191, arXiv.org.
- Rockafellar, R. Tyrrell & Uryasev, Stanislav, 2002. "Conditional value-at-risk for general loss distributions," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(7), pages 1443-1471, July.
- Emmanuel Olateju Oyatoye & Waheed Oladimeji Arilesere, 2012. "A non-linear programming model for insurance company investment portfolio management in Nigeria," International Journal of Data Analysis Techniques and Strategies, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 4(1), pages 83-100.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (arXiv administrators).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.