Capital Allocation to Business Units and Sub-Portfolios: the Euler Principle
AbstractDespite the fact that the Euler allocation principle has been adopted by many financial institutions for their internal capital allocation process, a comprehensive description of Euler allocation seems still to be missing. We try to fill this gap by presenting the theoretical background as well as practical aspects. In particular, we discuss how Euler risk contributions can be estimated for some important risk measures. We furthermore investigate the analysis of CDO tranche expected losses by means of Euler's theorem and suggest an approach to measure the impact of risk factors on non-linear portfolios.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by arXiv.org in its series Papers with number 0708.2542.
Date of creation: Aug 2007
Date of revision: Jun 2008
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://arxiv.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Areski Cousin & Elena Di Bernadino, 2013. "On Multivariate Extensions of Value-at-Risk," Working Papers hal-00638382, HAL.
- Eduard Kromer & Ludger Overbeck, 2013. "Suitability of Capital Allocations for Performance Measurement," Papers 1301.5497, arXiv.org, revised Nov 2013.
- Düllmann, Klaus & Puzanova, Natalia, 2011. "Systemic risk contributions: a credit portfolio approach," Discussion Paper Series 2: Banking and Financial Studies 2011,08, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Buch, Arne & Dorfleitner, Gregor & Wimmer, Maximilian, 2011. "Risk capital allocation for RORAC optimization," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(11), pages 3001-3009, November.
- Drehmann, Mathias & Tarashev, Nikola, 2013. "Measuring the systemic importance of interconnected banks," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 22(4), pages 586-607.
- Areski Cousin & Elena Di Bernadino, 2011. "On Multivariate Extensions of Value-at-Risk," Papers 1111.1349, arXiv.org, revised Apr 2013.
- Rosen, Dan & Saunders, David, 2010. "Risk factor contributions in portfolio credit risk models," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 336-349, February.
- Kretzschmar, Gavin & McNeil, Alexander J. & Kirchner, Axel, 2010. "Integrated models of capital adequacy - Why banks are undercapitalised," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(12), pages 2838-2850, December.
- Arbenz, Philipp & Hummel, Christoph & Mainik, Georg, 2012. "Copula based hierarchical risk aggregation through sample reordering," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 51(1), pages 122-133.
- McNeil, Alexander J. & Smith, Andrew D., 2012. "Multivariate stress scenarios and solvency," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(3), pages 299-308.
- Mikhail Voropaev, 2011. "KISS approach to credit portfolio modeling," Papers 1107.2164, arXiv.org.
- Baule, Rainer, 2014. "Allocation of risk capital on an internal market," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 234(1), pages 186-196.
- Nikolaus Rab & Richard Warnung, 2010. "Scaling portfolio volatility and calculating risk contributions in the presence of serial cross-correlations," Papers 1009.3638, arXiv.org, revised Nov 2011.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (arXiv administrators).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.