Plug-in estimation of level sets in a non-compact setting with applications in multivariate risk theory
AbstractThis paper deals with the problem of estimating the level sets of an unknown distribution function $F$. A plug-in approach is followed. That is, given a consistent estimator $F_n$ of $F$, we estimate the level sets of $F$ by the level sets of $F_n$. In our setting no compactness property is a priori required for the level sets to estimate. We state consistency results with respect to the Hausdorff distance and the volume of the symmetric difference. Our results are motivated by applications in multivariate risk theory. In this sense we also present simulated and real examples which illustrate our theoretical results.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by HAL in its series Post-Print with number hal-00580624.
Date of creation: 08 Feb 2013
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published, ESAIM: Probability and Statistics, 2013, 17, 236-256
Note: View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00580624
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/
Level sets ; Distribution function ; Plug-in estimation ; Hausdorff distance ; Conditional Tail Expectation;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Philippe Artzner & Freddy Delbaen & Jean-Marc Eber & David Heath, 1999. "Coherent Measures of Risk," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(3), pages 203-228.
- Cadre, BenoI^t, 2006. "Kernel estimation of density level sets," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 97(4), pages 999-1023, April.
- Belzunce, F. & Castano, A. & Olvera-Cervantes, A. & Suarez-Llorens, A., 2007. "Quantile curves and dependence structure for bivariate distributions," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 51(10), pages 5112-5129, June.
- Dehaan, L. & Huang, X., 1995. "Large Quantile Estimation in a Multivariate Setting," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 53(2), pages 247-263, May.
- Masse, J. C. & Theodorescu, R., 1994. "Halfplane Trimming for Bivariate Distributions," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 48(2), pages 188-202, February.
- Embrechts, Paul & Puccetti, Giovanni, 2006. "Bounds for functions of multivariate risks," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 97(2), pages 526-547, February.
- Cousin, Areski & Di Bernardino, Elena, 2014. "On multivariate extensions of Conditional-Tail-Expectation," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(C), pages 272-282.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.