Understanding the Market for Holstein Steers
AbstractA semi-structured interview process was combined with an econometric analysis to document the newly changed structure of the Holstein sector, to evaluate existing quality perceptions, and to assess the impact that recent changes in production practices have had on prices of Holstein steers. Results suggest that finished Holstein steer prices are driven by many of the same market factors as native steers, overturning some common quality misconceptions. The shift towards the calf-fed production model appears to have greatly affected the market for backgrounded Holstein steers, but had little impact on the prices for light Holstein feeder steers.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Kentucky, Department of Agricultural Economics in its series Staff Papers with number 31978.
Date of creation: 2004
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 400 Agricultural Engineering Bldg., Lexington, KY 40546-0276
Phone: (859) 257-5762
Fax: (859) 323-1913
Web page: http://www.uky.edu/Ag/AgEcon
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Burdine, Kenneth H. & Meyer, A. Lee & Maynard, Leigh J., 2004. "Understanding the Market for Holstein Steers," Staff Papers 37873, University of Kentucky, Department of Agricultural Economics.
- Burdine, Kenneth H. & Meyer, A. Lee & Maynard, Leigh J., 2004. "Understanding The Market For Holstein Steers," 2004 Annual meeting, August 1-4, Denver, CO 20230, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Parcell, Joseph L. & Schroeder, Ted C. & Dhuyvetter, Kevin C., 2000. "Factors Affecting Live Cattle Basis," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 32(03), December.
- Kastens, Terry L. & Jones, Rodney D. & Schroeder, Ted C., 1998. "Futures-Based Price Forecasts For Agricultural Producers And Businesses," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 23(01), July.
- Kevin C. Dhuyvetter & Ted C. Schroeder, 2000. "Price-Weight Relationships for Feeder Cattle," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 48(3), pages 299-310, November.
- Burdine, Kenny & Maynard, Leigh J. & Halich, Greg, . "Factors Affecting Feeder Cattle Prices in the Southeast," 2013 Annual Meeting, February 2-5, 2013, Orlando, Florida 142976, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.