Factors Affecting Live Cattle Basis
AbstractCattle producers and beef packers need to understand basis determinants as they develop price expectations and make pricing, hedging, and forward contracting decisions. This study empirically estimated factors explaining variability in monthly fed cattle basis. The five main results regarding live cattle basis are 1) corn price is an important determinant, 2) a change in the value of the Choice-to-Select spread positively affects basis, 3) changes in the levels of captive supplies have no significant statistical or economic impact on basis 4) the June 1995 live cattle futures contract did not impact basis, and 5) both market fundamentals and seasonal components are important basis determinants.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Southern Agricultural Economics Association in its journal Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics.
Volume (Year): 32 (2000)
Issue (Month): 03 (December)
basis; fed cattle; cattle prices; Livestock Production/Industries; Marketing;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kastens, Terry L. & Jones, Rodney D. & Schroeder, Ted C., 1998. "Futures-Based Price Forecasts For Agricultural Producers And Businesses," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 23(01), July.
- Walburger, Allan M. & Foster, Kenneth A., 1997. "Assessing The Relationship Between Market Factors And Regional Price Dynamics In U.S. Cattle Markets," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 22(01), July.
- Ward, Clement E. & Koontz, Stephen R. & Schroeder, Ted C., 1998. "Impacts From Captive Supplies On Fed Cattle Transaction Prices," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 23(02), December.
- Schroeder, Ted C. & Yang, Xiaolou, 2001. "Hedging Wholesale Beef Cuts," 2001 Annual Meeting, July 8-11, 2001, Logan, Utah 36091, Western Agricultural Economics Association.
- Burdine, Kenneth H. & Meyer, A. Lee & Maynard, Leigh J., 2004.
"Understanding The Market For Holstein Steers,"
2004 Annual meeting, August 1-4, Denver, CO
20230, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Maynard, Leigh J. & Meyer, A. Lee & Burdine, Kenneth H., 2004. "Understanding the Market for Holstein Steers," Staff Papers 31978, University of Kentucky, Department of Agricultural Economics.
- Burdine, Kenneth H. & Meyer, A. Lee & Maynard, Leigh J., 2004. "Understanding the Market for Holstein Steers," Staff Papers 37873, University of Kentucky, Department of Agricultural Economics.
- Abahana, Zelalem & Diersen, Matthew A. & Li, Jing & Klein, Nicole L., 2010. "Fed Cattle Forward Contract Volume and Basis Relationship," 2010 Annual Meeting, July 25-27, 2010, Denver, Colorado 61150, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Mkrtchyan, Vardan & Welch, J. Mark & Power, Gabriel J., 2009.
"Predicting the Corn Basis in the Texas Triangle Area,"
2009 Annual Meeting, January 31-February 3, 2009, Atlanta, Georgia
46759, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Welch, J. Mark & Mkrtchyan, Vardan & Power, Gabriel J., 2009. "Predicting the Corn Basis in the Texas Triangle Area," Journal of Agribusiness, Agricultural Economics Association of Georgia, vol. 27.
- Burdine, Kenny & Maynard, Leigh J. & Halich, Greg, . "Factors Affecting Feeder Cattle Prices in the Southeast," 2013 Annual Meeting, February 2-5, 2013, Orlando, Florida 142976, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Schumacher, Stephanie & Peel, Derrell S. & Raper, Kellie Curry, 2013. "Non-Adoption of Best Management Practices: Demographics and Adoption Constraints of Oklahoma Cattle Producers," 2013 Annual Meeting, February 2-5, 2013, Orlando, Florida 143094, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.