Contracting, Captive Supplies, And Price Behavior
AbstractTheoretical and simulation results clarify the role of procurement contracting in determining spot price levels and volatility. A generic model determines market share across quality. Actual supply is specified as price dependent and stochastic. Simulation examines the sensitivity of price level and volatility to extent of forward contracting, risk aversion, and ability to adjust spot market demand (recontracting). The results show that as forward contracting increases mean spot price decreases and variance increases. This effect increases as risk aversion decreases and as extent of recontracting adjustment in spot demand decreases.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by NCR-134 Conference on Applied Commodity Price Analysis, Forecasting, and Market Risk Management in its series 2002 Conference, April 22-23, 2002, St. Louis, Missouri with number 19052.
Date of creation: 2002
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.agebb.missouri.edu/ncrext/ncr134/
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hennessy, David A. & Lawrence, John D., 1999. "Contractual Relations, Control, and Quality in the Hog Sector," Staff General Research Papers 1706, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Stephen R. Koontz, 1999. "Marketing Agreement Impacts in an Experimental Market for Fed Cattle," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(2), pages 347-358.
- Ward, Clement E. & Koontz, Stephen R. & Schroeder, Ted C., 1998. "Impacts From Captive Supplies On Fed Cattle Transaction Prices," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 23(02), December.
- Azzeddine Azzam, 1998. "Captive Supplies, Market Conduct, and the Open-Market Price," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 80(1), pages 76-83.
- Elam, Emmett W., 1992. "Cash Forward Contracting Versus Hedging Of Fed Cattle, And The Impact Of Cash Contracting On Cash Prices," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 17(01), July.
- A. M. Azzam & E. Pagoulatos, 1990. "Testing Oligopolistic And Oligopsonistic Behaviour: An Application To The Us Meat-Packing Industry," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(3), pages 362-370.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.