Hedging Wholesale Beef Cuts
AbstractLive cattle futures markets do not offer much opportunity for effective hedging of wholesale beef cuts. If a Choice-to-Select price spread futures contract were introduced this would enhance hedging effectiveness although likely not enough to encourage cross hedging. If a Choice boxed beef futures contract were introduced, hedging Choice wholesale beef cuts would be less risky and the addition of a Choice-to-Select price spread would enhance hedging effectiveness especially for Select wholesale beef cuts.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Western Agricultural Economics Association in its series 2001 Annual Meeting, July 8-11, 2001, Logan, Utah with number 36091.
Date of creation: 2001
Date of revision:
Livestock Production/Industries; Marketing;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lusk, Jayson L. & Marsh, Thomas L., 2000.
"Wholesale Demand For Usda Quality Graded Boxed Beef And Effects Of Seasonality,"
2000 Annual Meeting, June 29-July 1, 2000, Vancouver, British Columbia
36409, Western Agricultural Economics Association.
- Lusk, Jayson L. & Marsh, Thomas L. & Schroeder, Ted C. & Fox, John A., 2001. "Wholesale Demand For Usda Quality Graded Boxed Beef And Effects Of Seasonality," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 26(01), July.
- Namken, Jerry C. & Farris, Donald E. & Capps, Oral, Jr., 1994. "The Demand For Wholesale Beef Cuts By Season And Trend," Journal of Food Distribution Research, Food Distribution Research Society, vol. 25(2), September.
- Hayenga, Marvin L. & Jiang, Bingrong & Lence, Sergio H., 1996.
"Improving Wholesale Beef and Pork Product Cross Hedging,"
Staff General Research Papers
5004, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Marvin L. Hayenga & Bingrong Jiang & Sergio H. Lence, 1996. "Improving wholesale beef and pork product cross hedging," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(6), pages 541-559.
- Anderson, Ronald W & Danthine, Jean-Pierre, 1981. "Cross Hedging," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 89(6), pages 1182-96, December.
- Parcell, Joseph L. & Schroeder, Ted C. & Dhuyvetter, Kevin C., 2000. "Factors Affecting Live Cattle Basis," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 32(03), December.
- Capps, Oral, Jr. & Farris, Donald E. & Byrne, Patrick J. & Namken, Jerry C. & Lambert, Charles D., 1994. "Determinants Of Wholesale Beef-Cut Prices," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 26(01), July.
- Shroeder, Ted C. & Mintert, James R., 1988. "Hedging Feeder Steers And Heifers In The Cash-Settled Feeder Cattle Futures Market," Western Journal of Agricultural Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 13(02), December.
- Elam, Emmett W., 1988. "Estimated Hedging Risk With Cash Settlement Feeder Cattle Futures," Western Journal of Agricultural Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 13(01), July.
- Steiner, Bodo E., 2007. "Formal beef alliances and alignment challenges: issues in contracting, pricing and quality," Project Report Series 7709, University of Alberta, Department of Resource Economics and Environmental Sociology.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.