Wetlands and Agriculture: Private Interests and Public Benefits
AbstractSociety has recently increased the value it places on the services that wetlands provide, including water quality improvements, flood control, wildlife habitat, and recreation. However, owners of wetlands are often unable to profit from these services because the benefits created are freely enjoyed by many. This report examines differences between public and private incentives regarding wetlands. Federal wetland policy has shifted in recent decades--from encouraging wetland conversion to encouraging wetland protection and restoration--in an effort to balance public and private objectives. The report assesses the need for continued wetlands protection policies as the United States approaches achieving the goal of no net loss of wetlands.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service in its series Agricultural Economics Reports with number 34043.
Date of creation: 1998
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 1400 Independence Ave.,SW, Mail Stop 1800, Washington, DC 20250-1800
Web page: http://www.ers.usda.gov/
More information through EDIRC
wetlands; "no net loss"; Swampbuster; conservation; restoration; Land Economics/Use;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ralph E. Heimlich, 1994. "Costs of an Agricultural Wetland Reserve," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 70(2), pages 234-246.
- van Vuuren, W. & Roy, P., 1993. "Private and social returns from wetland preservation versus those from wetland conversion to agriculture," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 289-305, December.
- Bergstrom, John C. & Stoll, John R. & Titre, John P. & Wright, Vernon L., 1990. "Economic value of wetlands-based recreation," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 129-147, June.
- Innes, Robert, 1995. "An Essay on Takings: Concepts and Issues," Choices, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 10(1).
- Kohn, Robert E., 1994. "Alternative property rights to wetland externalities," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 61-68, May.
- Shabman, Leonard A. & Batie, Sandra S., 1987. "Mitigating Damages From Coastal Wetlands Development: Policy, Economics and Financing," Marine Resource Economics, Marine Resources Foundation, vol. 4(3).
- Danielson, Leon E. & Leitch, Jay A., 1986. "Private vs public economics of prairie wetland allocation," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 81-92, March.
- Hanley, Nick & Craig, Stephen, 1991.
"Wilderness development decisions and the Krutilla-Fisher model: The case of Scotland's 'flow country',"
Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 145-164, November.
- Nick Hanley & Stephen Craig, 1991. "Wilderness Development Decisions and the Krutilla-Fisher Model: The Case of Scotland's 'Flow Country'," Working Papers Series 91/11, University of Stirling, Division of Economics.
- Langford, Ian H. & Bateman, Ian J., 1996.
"Elicitation and truncation effects in contingent valuation studies,"
Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 265-267, December.
- Bateman, Ian J. & Langford, Ian H. & Turner, R. Kerry & Willis, Ken G. & Garrod, Guy D., 1995. "Elicitation and truncation effects in contingent valuation studies," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 161-179, February.
- Edward B. Barbier, 1994. "Valuing Environmental Functions: Tropical Wetlands," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 70(2), pages 155-173.
- Farber, Stephen, 1987. "The value of coastal wetlands for protection of property against hurricane wind damage," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 143-151, June.
- Lichtenberg, Erik & Zilberman, David, 1986. "The Welfare Economics of Price Supports in U.S. Agriculture," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 76(5), pages 1135-41, December.
- Doss, Cheryl R. & Taff, Steven J., 1993. "The Relationship Of Property Values And Wetlands Proximity In Ramsey County, Minnesota," Economic Reports 13086, University of Minnesota, Department of Applied Economics.
- John S. Baen & Jaime Alvayay, 1990. "The Implications of Federal Wetland Protection Programs for the Real Estate Appraisal Industry," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 5(1), pages 153-166.
- Gren, Ing-Marie, 1995. "The Value of Investing in Wetlands for Nitrogen Abatement," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 22(2), pages 157-72.
- Stavins, Robert N., 1990. "Alternative renewable resource strategies: A simulation of optimal use," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 143-159, September.
- Randall A. Kramer & Leonard Shabman, 1993. "The Effects of Agricultural and Tax Policy Reform on the Economic Return to Wetland Drainage in the Mississippi Delta Region," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 69(3), pages 249-262.
- Stephen Farber, 1996. "Welfare Loss Of Wetlands Disintegration: A Louisiana Study," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 14(1), pages 92-106, 01.
- W.E. Phillips & T.J. Haney & W.L. Adamowicz, 1993. "An Economic Analysis of Wildlife Habitat Preservation in Alberta," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 41(4), pages 411-418, December.
- Holtman, Charles & Taff, Steven J. & Meyer, Aaron J. & Leitch, Jay A., 1996. "An Inquiry Into The Relationship Of Wetland Regulations And Property Values In Minnesota," Staff Papers 13816, University of Minnesota, Department of Applied Economics.
- Kosz, Michael, 1996. "Valuing riverside wetlands: the case of the "Donau-Auen" national park," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 109-127, February.
- Whitehead, John C., 1992. "Measuring Use Value From Recreation Participation," Southern Journal of Agricultural Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 24(02), December.
- Doss, Cheryl R. & Taff, Steven J., 1996. "The Influence Of Wetland Type And Wetland Proximity On Residential Property Values," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 21(01), July.
- Ing-Marie Gren & Carl Folke & Kerry Turner & Ian Batemen, 1994. "Primary and secondary values of wetland ecosystems," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 4(1), pages 55-74, February.
- Spreen, Thomas H., 2006. "Price Endogenous Mathematical Programming Models and Trade Analysis," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 38(02), August.
- Hoehn, John P. & Lupi, Frank & Kaplowitz, Michael D., 2001. "Untying A Lancastrian Bundle: Ecosystem Valuation In Wetland Mitigation," 2001 Annual meeting, August 5-8, Chicago, IL 20467, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Birol, Ekin & Karousakis, Katia & Koundouri, Phoebe, 2006. "Using a choice experiment to account for preference heterogeneity in wetland attributes: The case of Cheimaditida wetland in Greece," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(1), pages 145-156, November.
- Woodward, Richard T. & Wui, Yong-Suhk, 2001. "The economic value of wetland services: a meta-analysis," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 257-270, May.
- Crepin, Anne-Sophie, 2005. "Incentives for wetland creation," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 50(3), pages 598-616, November.
- Shultz, Steven D. & Taff, Steven J., 2003. "Implicit Prices Of Wetland Easements," 2003 Annual meeting, July 27-30, Montreal, Canada 22163, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Carlsson, Fredrik & Frykblom, Peter & Liljenstolpe, Carolina, 2003. "Valuing wetland attributes: an application of choice experiments," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 95-103, November.
- Crosson, Pierre & Frederick, Kenneth, 1999. "Impacts of Federal Policies and Programs on Wetlands," Discussion Papers dp-99-26, Resources For the Future.
- Claassen, Roger & Breneman, Vincent E. & Bucholtz, Shawn & Cattaneo, Andrea & Johansson, Robert C. & Morehart, Mitchell J., 2004. "Environmental Compliance In U.S. Agricultural Policy: Past Performance And Future Potential," Agricultural Economics Reports 34033, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Dadaser-Celik, Filiz & Coggins, Jay S. & Brezonik, Patrick L. & Stefan, Heinz G., 2009. "The projected costs and benefits of water diversion from and to the Sultan Marshes (Turkey)," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(5), pages 1496-1506, March.
- Ribaudo, Marc O. & Heimlich, Ralph & Claassen, Roger & Peters, Mark, 2001. "Least-cost management of nonpoint source pollution: source reduction versus interception strategies for controlling nitrogen loss in the Mississippi Basin," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 183-197, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.